• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Experiences with incarcerated friends/family

What a challenging situation - and it sounds like you're doing a great job of continuing to show support and care.

Husband's half sister was in and out of jail for the last few years of her life, before unfortunately passing by OD. Her story was relatively tragic in that her communication (via letters) was always so hopeful and articulated her desire to get clean, make good choices, and be there for her daughter. We really thought her last release would be the start of something new and were determining whether or not visiting her would be something to look at next time we went east. Too many circumstances were working against her, though, and it's been really rough on husband since she died.

"Good" and "bad" people aren't sorted so easily... I wish we spent even a fraction on mental health and victim support services that otherwise goes towards the business of incarceration.

If you don't already find support from an outside source, I would really recommend looking into whatever counselor/therapy options are available for you, too. Especially when someone shares so many of your background components (education, family, opportunity, etc) it can be hard to climb out of the 'why not me' spiral.

Back