• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

The story suggests she was there with the locksmith. She deal with everything after she returned.

Regardless, 19 cops and the manner in which they acted were ridiculous.

Ah, I didn't pick up on that. That makes sense.

That neighbor isn't very neighborly.

Somebody put black electrical tape over the framed photographic portraits of all of the black law professors at Harvard Law. Activists are calling it a hate crime in response to recent campus movements. Police are investigating.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/11/19/3723998/black-professors-harvard-defaced/

I have a nagging suspicion that it was a move by BLM activists to represent the invisibility of black faculty at the Law School, and it has backfired. Will be curious to see the results.

Regardless, these recent protests/movements have done a good job of pointing out to Americans that racism is alive and well in our institutions and in our hearts.

The Atlantic provides a little bit more context: http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...aw-faculty-black-tape/416877/?utm_source=SFFB

The tape apparently came an "educational art exhibit" on the school seal, which activists had obscured with gaffer tape as part of the prior Wednesday's protest of the Royall family's contributions to the Law School.

Statement from "Royall must fall": http://hlrecord.org/2015/11/statement-from-royall-must-fall/

"As Royall Must Fall, we are saddened and disgusted by this violent act against black professors. This overt act of racial hatred is a manifestation of the systemic racism that pervades our daily lives at Harvard Law School and throughout the country."

I wonder if this kind of rhetoric is useful? Seems like you'd want to save the lexicon of violence for the black bodies that are getting shot and killed (without repercussion).

The story suggests she was there with the locksmith. She deal with everything after she returned.

Fair point as to the number of responding officers. I'm still not clear as to whether she tried to break in (which would be an unfortunate miscommunication) or whether she was just there with a locksmith.

One point, which applies here and with regard to Professor Gates. If your house was broken into and you reported a burglary, only to find out the burglar insisted that he/she lived in your home and the police left without making any effort to verify the claim, how would you feel? FWIW, from what I can tell I think the Gates situation was far more justified in terms of the police response, but some response does not appear unreasonable here either.

What I don't understand is why she complied and attempted to deescalate the situation. Feels like a great time to ask if she is being detained and ignore their commands. Now she is alive not hurt and able to speak to the issue and argue the cops actions. Crazy idea but what do I know.

Fair point as to the number of responding officers. I'm still not clear as to whether she tried to break in (which would be an unfortunate miscommunication) or whether she was just there with a locksmith.

One point, which applies here and with regard to Professor Gates. If your house was broken into and you reported a burglary, only to find out the burglar insisted that he/she lived in your home and the police left without making any effort to verify the claim, how would you feel? FWIW, from what I can tell I think the Gates situation was far more justified in terms of the police response, but some response does not appear unreasonable here either.

I guess the proper approach should just be they probably live there. It's just stuff and insurance can replace that. Being labelled a racist for doing your job can cost you your career Etc. Or just walk up with same number of cops as reported burglars and leave any weapon that gives officer upper hand in car. Make it a fair fight should the suspect choose to resist.

I'm not sure where the confusion is here.

On Sept. 6, I locked myself out of my apartment in Santa Monica, Calif. I was in a rush to get to my weekly soccer game, so I decided to go enjoy the game and deal with the lock afterward.
A few hours and a visit from a locksmith later, I was inside my apartment and slipping off my shoes when I heard a man’s voice and what sounded like a small dog whimpering outside, near my front window.

If the article isn't clear, the 911 call is.

1. She locked herself out, but decided to deal with it later because she was in a hurry.
2. After she left her soccer game, she called a locksmith.
3. The locksmith met her at her apartment and unlocked the door for her.
4. She entered her apartment.

Where did you get the idea she tried to break in?

The 911 caller said "it wasn't a crazy robbery." He just asked for a "couple of cops" to check it out.

Some response? Sure. One or two officers should knock without guns drawn and say, "We got a call of a break-in at this address. Please come out with your identification."

Not this.

I heard barking. I approached my front window and loudly asked what was going on. Peering through my blinds, I saw a gun. A man stood at the bottom of the stairs, pointing it at me. I stepped back and heard: “Come outside with your hands up.” I thought: This man has a gun and will kill me if I don’t come outside. At the same time, I thought: I’ve heard this line from policemen in movies. Although he didn’t identify himself, perhaps he’s an officer.
I left my apartment in my socks, shorts and a light jacket, my hands in the air. “What’s going on?” I asked again. Two police officers had guns trained on me. They shouted: “Who’s in there with you? How many of you are there?”
I said it was only me and, hands still raised, slowly descended the stairs, focused on one officer’s eyes and on his pistol. I had never looked down the barrel of a gun or at the face of a man with a loaded weapon pointed at me. In his eyes, I saw fear and anger. I had no idea what was happening, but I saw how it would end: I would be dead in the stairwell outside my apartment, because something about me — a 5-foot-7, 125-pound black woman — frightened this man with a gun. I sat down, trying to look even less threatening, trying to de-escalate. I again asked what was going on. I confirmed there were no pets or people inside.
I told the officers I didn’t want them in my apartment. I said they had no right to be there. They entered anyway. One pulled me, hands behind my back, out to the street. The neighbors were watching. Only then did I notice the ocean of officers. I counted 16. They still hadn’t told me why they’d come.

Last edited:
this story is similar to the one a few months back where the Iraq war veteran (white, I believe) was staying temporarily in a guest apartment while his own apartment was getting repaired. A neighbor called the cops to report that a homeless man was sleeping in this apartment and they responded with a full SWAT team leveling submachine guns at the guy in his bedroom. Didn't bother to call apartment management or do any other work first, straight from call about a guy sleeping to full SWAT response. Just completely unnecessary escalation.

I'm not sure where the confusion is here.

If the article isn't clear, the 911 call is.

1. She locked herself out, but decided to deal with it later because she was in a hurry.
2. After she left her soccer game, she called a locksmith.
3. The locksmith met her at her apartment and unlocked the door for her.
4. She entered her apartment.

Where did you get the idea she tried to break in?

The 911 caller said "it wasn't a crazy robbery." He just asked for a "couple of cops" to check it out.

Some response? Sure. One or two officers should knock without guns drawn and say, "We got a call of a break-in at this address. Please come out with your identification."

Not this.

I'm not disagreeing that the response was over the top. Sorry if I wasn't clearer on that.

The title references a break-in. I'm not sure why one would reach that conclusion from someone being there with a locksmith, which I why I'm asking the question.

I'm not disagreeing that the response was over the top. Sorry if I wasn't clearer on that.

The title references a break-in. I'm not sure why one would reach that conclusion from someone being there with a locksmith, which I why I'm asking the question.

The 911 caller thought the locksmith and the apartment resident broke in the apartment. If you listen to the 911 call, there should have been some consideration that it was a lockout. He described a man with a suitcase and tools.

And this in the parking lot

van_1163105147_std.309113447_std.jpg

Protests in Minneapolis over the shooting of unarmed Jamar Clark:

That pic is so surreal it feels like it should be some photoshop fake nonsense.

Unfortunately, it's real.

that's just the Feds. States and localities engage in asset forfeiture as well. Including state and local numbers (which probably aren't really tracked by anyone) would probably make the number significantly higher.

that's just the Feds. States and localities engage in asset forfeiture as well. Including state and local numbers (which probably aren't really tracked by anyone) would probably make the number significantly higher.

I don't think that's just data from the Feds, they are just the ones collecting the data. There is no way in hell that federal law enforcement agencies are seizing $4 billion in burglary assets every year - not their area

Back