• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

Yeah, appointing a task force - committee for you and me, but task force sounds so much more dynamic - is just a way to deflate the criticism and delay, or perhaps completely avoid, any serious steps to deal with the problems, and when it comes to problems with abusive police and corruption, Chicago is a poster child.

Yeah. It was a good show. Love that line from the trailer. "You think you can change how things are done in Chicago?!?!"

I don't believe the Tsarnaev case should have been tried in Boston. The sentiment up here from most people seemed to be kill this guy as quickly as possible. He and his brother resulted in the city literally being shut down for a day. They should have moved it. Motion for new trial hearing was this morning I believe at the federal courthouse.

Pretty much all of this. Don't think there's any chance he gets his new trial though. District judge made it clear numerous times that he was frustrated that the defense kept asking for a change of venue, and while he got one vote in the First Circuit on an interlocutory appeal during void dire, if they keep the same panel (don't know if they do) then he's not going to get a new trial there either. And zero chance SCOTUS touches this

The Alabama Justice Project has obtained documents that reveal a Dothan Police Department’s Internal Affairs investigation was covered up by the district attorney. A group of up to a dozen police officers on a specialized narcotics team were found to have planted drugs and weapons on young black men for years. They were supervised at the time by Lt. Steve Parrish, current Dothan Police Chief, and Sgt. Andy Hughes, current Asst. Director of Homeland Security for the State of Alabama. All of the officers reportedly were members of a Neoconfederate organization that the Southern Poverty Law Center labels “racial extremists.” The group has advocated for blacks to “return” to Africa, published that the civil rights movement is really a Jewish conspiracy, and that blacks have lower IQ’s . Both Parrish and Hughes held leadership positions in the group and are pictured above holding a confederate battle flag at one of the club’s secret meetings.

http://henrycountyreport.com/blog/2...ars-district-attorney-doug-valeska-complicit/

So tell me why we should believe the police report as "the facts"?

This is an all-Chicago Tribune post.

Mayor backpedals, now open to Justice Department review of Chicago police

On Wednesday morning, Emanuel said such an investigation would be "misguided" and said the focus should remain on the federal investigation into the McDonald shooting.

But on Thursday morning, Emanuel issued a statement, changing his position.

"I want to clarify my comments from yesterday and I want to be clear that the City welcomes engagement by the Department of Justice when it comes to looking at the systemic issues embedded in CPD," Emanuel said in the statement. "First and foremost, we need answers as to what happened in the Laquan McDonald case, which is why the United States attorney should swiftly conclude his yearlong investigation and shed light on what happened that night, and the actions of everyone involved."

Cop in Laquan McDonald video tied to another police shooting death

Officer Jason Van Dyke admitted as part of that civil case that he copied the work of other officers on the scene, which made his official report match theirs, without conducting his own interviews of witnesses to the controversial 2005 shooting of Emmanuel Lopez.

Editorial: Mayor Emanuel, release the video of the Ronald Johnson police shooting

Here's something else the Johnson and McDonald cases have in common: There's no audio on the video recording.

Maybe its batteries were also put in backwards?

Edit: one more.

Commentary: After Laquan McDonald shooting, 7 predictions for the Chicago police 'shake-up

http://gawker.com/victim-of-fatal-s...m_source=gawker_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Jesus. Guy was killed by a g-d firing squad. 5 bad apples, all lined up in a row.

shot

The "I didn't mean to" defense. As a new dad, mike, you better get used to that one.

Making the kick itself – and intending to hit Dickerson's body – was reasonable, Philip Hayden, the expert witness hired by the defense had said earlier in the day.

If, however, Webster had meant to hit the head, that would have been an excessive use of force.

"An intentional kick to the head would be excessive," Hayden said on cross-examination with Deputy Attorney General Mark Denney.

So... this new explanation came up after the expert wouldn't testify that a kick to the head was reasonable in this situation? (BTW, kind of interesting after the defense's tough talk regarding experts the day before.)

So... this new explanation came up after the expert wouldn't testify that a kick to the head was reasonable in this situation? (BTW, kind of interesting after the defense's tough talk regarding experts the day before.)

Yeah, that's what it looks like. My understanding is his attorney didn't mention it in opening arguments either.

Isn't it weird that the defense attorney didn't find that out until right at trial or do experts work differently in criminal cases than civil?

Isn't it weird that the defense attorney didn't find that out until right at trial or do experts work differently in criminal cases than civil?

I'm sure both experts prepared reports that were exchanged in discovery. The statement that a kick to the head would have been unreasonable was a concession made by the defense expert under cross examination after the prosecution had already put on the rest of its case (including the prosecution's expert). In this case it looks like the prosecutors put on a strong case and one thing or another forced the defense to change tack.

Number one rule of trial work - things rarely develop at trial as you expect them to.

Back