• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

Former #1 HS football player, USC and NFL running back Joe McKnight was gunned down in New Orleans. CNN and ESPN are reporting that there is a witness who says it was a road rage incident and that McKnight was apologizing to the shooter as the guy pulled out a gun and shot the unarmed McKnight. Then when McKnight was on the ground, he was shot again.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2016/12/joe_mcknight_shooting_new_orle.html

"McKnight, 28, was shot about 3 p.m. at the intersection of Behrman Highway and Holmes Boulevard in Terrytown, a suburb of New Orleans. A witness, who declined to give her name, said she saw a man at the intersection yelling at McKnight, who was trying to apologize. The man shot McKnight more than once, the witness said. She said he shot McKnight, stood over him and said, "I told you don't you f--- with me." Then the man fired again, she said.

Emergency personnel were captured on video performing CPR on McKnight. "

What was the NO Police action? They let the shooter go home.

Do you think there's a chance in hell that if it was a black standing over an unarmed white guy he had just shot that the police would have let him go home with no charges?

Do you honestly have a full grasp of what occurred? I think this is a great example of wait before you take a position. There were plenty of reports out of charlotte a few months back that turned out to be false. We don't know what happened. Let's at least find out before we cry racist cops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have an eye witness.

Do you actually think that if there was a witness to a black standing over white guy he had just shot and shooting him again that the black guy would have been allowed to go home?

Do you honestly have a full grasp of what occurred? I think this is a great example of wait before you take a position. There were plenty of reports out of charlotte a few months back that turned out to be false. We don't know what happened. Let's at least find out before we cry racist cops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait for what? Why the police didn't charge him?

I find it weird that someone can kill somebody else and the cops just let him go.

That's not official yet I don't think, the judge sent the jury back

God if they can't convict in that case then nobody is ever going to be able to convince me that the legal system is sufficient to protect the rights of people against police (and thus people should't resist unconstitutional orders at the time), as so many right-wingers on here have trumpeted

Jury fails to convict Slager

Honest question. What can I do to convince the skeptics here that black lives matter? 89, Junebug, sailor, is there anything I can do to convince you that black lives matter?

God if they can't convict in that case then nobody is ever going to be able to convince me that the legal system is sufficient to protect the rights of people against police (and thus people should't resist unconstitutional orders at the time), as so many right-wingers on here have trumpeted

I really don't understand that logic that a cop is more likely to be motivated by fear to shoot someone running away from them than someone standing still.

On the expectation that this jury will hang, there is no doubt that, with just one holdout, Slager will be tried by the state again. Moreover, Slager is still facing a federal indictment. I assume the state retrial will occur first, but that's just an assumption.

If the jury does hang, I am convinced this will just be a speed bump to Slager's ultimate conviction for manslaughter.

That kind of misses the point, which is that why should there be in speed bumps in as clear cut of a case as this?

We have an eye witness.

Do you actually think that if there was a witness to a black standing over white guy he had just shot and shooting him again that the black guy would have been allowed to go home?

His point was that you can't jump to conclusions and assume the eye witness account was accurate. The police collect evidence and multiple eye witness accounts to see what can be viewed as credible. And they aren't going to publicly state what they've found so far because it's crucial in weeding out the false and/or biased testimonies. That sucks for multiple reasons but is critical.

I do think it's odd that the statements by the officers and the sheriff seem to conflict regarding the gun. Will be curious to see more details about that. Also believe the guy will eventually be charged. The most likely scenario is that the guy shot him due to road rage.

The problem with a lot of these cases is that people believe what they want to believe before ALL of the facts come out and the investigation is complete. We clearly didn't learn anything from Charlotte. The lesson there was not that police brutality doesn't exist, but that you can't jump to conclusions, even based on early reports. People need to do a better job of being patient and selective over when to express anger. All sides would be better off.

His point was that you can't jump to conclusions and assume the eye witness account was accurate. The police collect evidence and multiple eye witness accounts to see what can be viewed as credible. And they aren't going to publicly state what they've found so far because it's crucial in weeding out the false and/or biased testimonies. That sucks for multiple reasons but is critical.

I do think it's odd that the statements by the officers and the sheriff seem to conflict regarding the gun. Will be curious to see more details about that. Also believe the guy will eventually be charged. The most likely scenario is that the guy shot him due to road rage.

The problem with a lot of these cases is that people believe what they want to believe before ALL of the facts come out and the investigation is complete. We clearly didn't learn anything from Charlotte. The lesson there was not that police brutality doesn't exist, but that you can't jump to conclusions, even based on early reports. People need to do a better job of being patient and selective over when to express anger. All sides would be better off.

Serious question, if the roles were reversed and an eye witness said a black dude was standing over the white dude before firing a kill shot, do you think it's the same chance that he would be out of jail right now?

Serious question, if the roles were reversed and an eye witness said a black dude was standing over the white dude before firing a kill shot, do you think it's the same chance that he would be out of jail right now?

That's a pointless hypothetical to try to make when we don't know the facts behind the guy getting released. If we did know what police know right now, then it is a fair hypothetical.

On the expectation that this jury will hang, there is no doubt that, with just one holdout, Slager will be tried by the state again. Moreover, Slager is still facing a federal indictment. I assume the state retrial will occur first, but that's just an assumption.

If the jury does hang, I am convinced this will just be a speed bump to Slager's ultimate conviction for manslaughter.

Guarantee the holdout is thinking about a book deal

That's a pointless hypothetical to try to make when we don't know the facts behind the guy getting released. If we did know what police know right now, then it is a fair hypothetical.

It's not a pointless hypothetical considering cases we know where police killed a black man based on a white eyewitness' lies.

I wish you would apply the same logic to police. More people would be alive if cops waited for the facts.

That's some ridiculous logic to say people need to wait for the facts to understand why the cops didn't.

Honest question. What can I do to convince the skeptics here that black lives matter? 89, Junebug, sailor, is there anything I can do to convince you that black lives matter?

Do you think three dudes on a message board need convincing, or is the thousands of black people who will take other black lives this year?

Back