• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Falcons Release Ovie

NFL contracts would be unfair if players and their agents were unaware that the contracts are not guaranteed, but each side is well-represented by smart people and everyone is fully aware of their rights. This is why Mughelli received a $5 million signing bonus when he agreed to the contract in 2007. The $5 million bonus payment plus the annual salaries bought the Falcons the right to have Mughelli on the Falcons roster for the next 5 years or opt out of the contract after each of the next 5 seasons. If Mughelli would have preferred a shorter contract, his bonus would have been less. The players, their agents the NFLPA, the general managers and the owners all understand the system, and each side has the ability to protect their interests.

There are a lot of unfair things in this world (like not paying one's fair share of $700+ bar tab), but multi-million dollar deals negotiated between players and owners and the underlying multi-billion CBA is not one of them.

BTW, you are crazy if you claim the NBA has the model system. Gilbert Arenas is getting paid $20 million this year to be the 12 man on Memphis. Rashard Lewis is being paid $20 million to not play for Washington. The NBA's method of compensation makes no sense at all.

Bingo.

NFL contracts would be unfair if players and their agents were unaware that the contracts are not guaranteed, but each side is well-represented by smart people and everyone is fully aware of their rights. This is why Mughelli received a $5 million signing bonus when he agreed to the contract in 2007. The $5 million bonus payment plus the annual salaries bought the Falcons the right to have Mughelli on the Falcons roster for the next 5 years or opt out of the contract after each of the next 5 seasons. If Mughelli would have preferred a shorter contract, his bonus would have been less. The players, their agents the NFLPA, the general managers and the owners all understand the system, and each side has the ability to protect their interests.

There are a lot of unfair things in this world (like not paying one's fair share of $700+ bar tab), but multi-million dollar deals negotiated between players and owners and the underlying multi-billion CBA is not one of them.

BTW, you are crazy if you claim the NBA has the model system. Gilbert Arenas is getting paid $20 million this year to be the 12 man on Memphis. Rashard Lewis is being paid $20 million to not play for Washington. The NBA's method of compensation makes no sense at all.

No one put a gun to the owners' head to pay Lewis or Arenas that amount of money. Well maybe Arenas did....

As to "like not paying one's fair share of $700+ bar tab", you have several problems. first it wasn't $700.

Next, since you don't understand this, I'll try to explain it. Sometimes when friends go to a bar, one friend picks up the entire tab. The next time the other friend will do so. Of course, you'd have to have friends who like you and you trust to understand this concept.

When will someone start a charity to come to the legal aid of NFL players with non-guaranteed contracts? This injustice has gone on long enough.

NO I'm saying if one side can cancel both should be able to.

If you have guaranteed contracts, both sides should be bound by them.

If one side can get out of a contract both should.

Huh? Both sides can get out of the contract. Ovie could have walked into the Falcons office at any point and said that he was not going to play.

Crazy shit. The brain tissue of 18 out of 19 former NFL players tested positive for CTE (basically, brain degeneration). Have not heard of CTE until the last month.

The Fullback is a dying position, most teams would rather use another WR - tough luck for Ovie, but I hope he lands on his feet somewhere.

Those bitching about the waivability of NFL contracts must understand that if the rules were such that the contracts were completely guaranteed money, then Ovie would have never signed a 6 year deal in the first place.

I UNDERSTAND that. I think it's unfair and that the NFLPA is acting like wusses not changing the contract.

Whether it seems unfair in your brisket fat encased brain is irrelevant. You have not the slightest clue what you are talking about.

Non-guaranteed player contracts are one of the main reasons that the NFL has been able to achieve more parity than any other professional sports league. This is turn is one of the main reasons that the NFL is far and away the most successful and highest television rated league in the US. The non-guaranteed contracts directly improve the fan experience.

The players can bitch all they want. It isn't going to change.

the owners need an out in case a player develops a taste for purple drank

It has been said a few times on this thread already, but I can't stress it enough, Ovie is a true gentleman. He was one of the Wake football greats, and has had a great NFL career up til now. But off the field is where he has really left his mark, with his own foundation, and a ton of side work so far beyond the NFL Play 60 and other affiliated charities. He has spoken on green initiatives, and has been a great community mentor and representative of Wake Forest. Wherever he ends up next, on the field or off, we can be proud of him as an alumnus of Mother So Dear.

It has been said a few times on this thread already, but I can't stress it enough, Ovie is a true gentleman. He was one of the Wake football greats, and has had a great NFL career up til now. But off the field is where he has really left his mark, with his own foundation, and a ton of side work so far beyond the NFL Play 60 and other affiliated charities. He has spoken on green initiatives, and has been a great community mentor and representative of Wake Forest. Wherever he ends up next, on the field or off, we can be proud of him as an alumnus of Mother So Dear.

This. Ovie has truly taken advantage of his opportunities, athletically and intellectually. I guarantee he happily moves to the next segment of his professional life with outstanding educational credentials and a healthy bank account to continue to be successful. Wouldn't surprise me if he makes much more money in the future off the field than he did in the league. Great alum.

I was hoping Ovie would get a repreive following the NFL ruling on Dog Killer's cap hit. But with two young fb's in camp and a new OC, it was still a longshot. He was great while he was here and if he decides to hang it up, I hope he stays in Atlanta.

did i see a commercial promoting a sports related tv show with ovie or did i just dream that? maybe on sportsouth

Back