• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Falcons Release Ovie

It's one-sided because all the power is with one side. If one side can unilaterally cancel the contract, both sides should be able to do so.

The person on the "side with no power" has to put on a colorful costume and cash $18MM checks for playing a children's game. Sounds awful.

Not if one party signs a contract that says they can't.

Which is why I said the NFLPA is a bunch of wusses.

I'm surprised the new president of the union allowed this to stand. Gene Upshaw was bought and paid for by the owners. He sold the players down the river on every cotnract.

There is no limit on the percentage of guaranteed money a contract is worth, it is just what the agent can negotiate. There is nothing fascist about it... if you and your agent are good enough you can get the entire contract guaranteed.

The person on the "side with no power" has to put on a colorful costume and cash $18MM checks for playing a children's game. Sounds awful.

Versus the owners who can't lose money and have pieces of paper (deed to team). Owners have no chance to lose money.

They have no risk. They aren't putting their health or fortunes on the line.

RJ, you're smarter than this, come on. NFL contracts are just short. The guaranteed portion is what they actually are, and the nonguaranteed portion amounts to a mutual option in most cases. They are shorter than other sports because average NFL careers are far shorter than in other sports. Yes, there are some cases when players get screwed by the team refusing to renegotiate, but that's their own fault (or their agents') for not making the nonguaranteed portion more lucrative.

This is what's wrong with the National Fascist Football League. If owners are allowed to rip up contracts at any time, players should be allowed to do the same.

Goods luck Ovie!!

Because guaranteed contracts have worked so well for the borderline-bankrupt and socially irrelevant NBA. Clearly that is the model that the king-of-the-world NFL should follow.

Versus the owners who can't lose money and have pieces of paper (deed to team). Owners have no chance to lose money.

You get those privileges for investing a billion dollars in something. That's the way the world works.

Jamarcus Russell got $32 million dollars guaranteed.

The NBA is growing.....but it's not surprising you support the dictatorship that is the NFL.

Because guaranteed contracts have worked so well for the borderline-bankrupt and socially irrelevant NBA. Clearly that is the model that the king-of-the-world NFL should follow.

I think RJ is advocating the opposite - allowing players to opt out at any time - but when I first read that post I was going to say, guaranteed contracts in the NFL would make Vernon Wells' and Elton Brand's contracts look good. Guys fall off so much faster in the NFL.

RJ, you're smarter than this, come on. NFL contracts are just short. The guaranteed portion is what they actually are, and the nonguaranteed portion amounts to a mutual option in most cases. They are shorter than other sports because average NFL careers are far shorter than in other sports. Yes, there are some cases when players get screwed by the team refusing to renegotiate, but that's their own fault (or their agents') for not making the nonguaranteed portion more lucrative.
'

Freakin, there is no mutual option. Only the Falcons could have ended Ovie's contract. He couldn't say, I want to cancel it, but the Falcons can.

ALL I'm saying is if one side can cancel it, both should be able to do so.

Didn't he get a Harvard in MBA during his offseasons with the Ravens?

I don't think he has an MBA. The NFL has a graduate program through Harvard for players. I think he participated in that. Either way, Ovie has been a class act. I think he runs quite a few camps for underpriv kids and is very active in the community.

I think RJ is advocating the opposite - allowing players to opt out at any time - but when I first read that post I was going to say, guaranteed contracts in the NFL would make Vernon Wells' and Elton Brand's contracts look good. Guys fall off so much faster in the NFL.

NO I'm saying if one side can cancel both should be able to.

If you have guaranteed contracts, both sides should be bound by them.

If one side can get out of a contract both should.

'

Freakin, there is no mutual option. Only the Falcons could have ended Ovie's contract. He couldn't say, I want to cancel it, but the Falcons can.

Obviously.

But Ovie knew when he signed that deal that the number they agreed upon for 2012 was contingent on him being worth that to the team at that point. If Ovie was still on top of his game and they wanted to keep him, I'm sure he would have been OK with it. If not, that's his and his agent's fault. But there's a reason so many guys get cut like this - because most contracts are constructed to be favorable to the players if they perform well enough not to get cut. The end result is what AMOUNTS to a mutual option in most cases.

NO I'm saying if one side can cancel both should be able to.

If you have guaranteed contracts, both sides should be bound by them.

If one side can get out of a contract both should.

That's what I said...

I think RJ is advocating the opposite - allowing players to opt out at any time

I UNDERSTAND that. I think it's unfair and that the NFLPA is acting like wusses not changing the contract.

'

That just comes down to negotiating.

NFL contracts would be unfair if players and their agents were unaware that the contracts are not guaranteed, but each side is well-represented by smart people and everyone is fully aware of their rights. This is why Mughelli received a $5 million signing bonus when he agreed to the contract in 2007. The $5 million bonus payment plus the annual salaries bought the Falcons the right to have Mughelli on the Falcons roster for the next 5 years or opt out of the contract after each of the next 5 seasons. If Mughelli would have preferred a shorter contract, his bonus would have been less. The players, their agents the NFLPA, the general managers and the owners all understand the system, and each side has the ability to protect their interests.

There are a lot of unfair things in this world (like not paying one's fair share of $700+ bar tab), but multi-million dollar deals negotiated between players and owners and the underlying multi-billion CBA is not one of them.

BTW, you are crazy if you claim the NBA has the model system. Gilbert Arenas is getting paid $20 million this year to be the 12 man on Memphis. Rashard Lewis is being paid $20 million to not play for Washington. The NBA's method of compensation makes no sense at all.

RJ should be teaching contract law. And the whole class should be centered around each element in the contract being the same for each party.

Back