• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fantrax/CDM Fantasy Sports

I read that too.That is why I dropped Travis instead of Walker. Travis may not come back this season. He was forever getting over the injury the first time. Toronto may have gone in a different direction now that they have Tulo. Travis might be at the back of the lineup if or when he comes back.

Nice to see some green numbers yesterday for a change. Oh course when you lose points everyday for over a week it doesn't take a big day to gain some of them back.

Nice to see some green numbers yesterday for a change. Oh course when you lose points everyday for over a week it doesn't take a big day to gain some of them back.

Another terrible week so far. I'm real close to managing my teams from the rookie league perspective. Still the same team/s, just doing what gives me the best chance of scoring in the rookie league.

They are playing very, very well. No doubt about that. With that ridiculous one-game wild card playoff system, though, they need to get around Pittsburgh so they will have home field advantage....then hope that Steve Bartman doesn't show up for the game.

When all is said and done, they are still the Cubs....so I assume they will figure out some way to lose....just like they have for the last 108 years. Old habits are hard to break. :)

I'm not surprised since I said there was no chance that they would make the playoffs without adding pitching. I have been wrong just about everything this year. lol More surprising to me is that the Nats are just above .500 baseball.

After the decade-long high-water marks for both of us last year, this year has obviously been extremely disappointing. I have been encouraged by my CDM points team so far....and really think that I will play in Fantrax' points leagues next year. I'm trying to figure out how you can get some exposure/experience in the points game in case you decide to switch games next year. There are some definite differences in strategy.....though good players at value prices are important in the points game, just like in the roto game. As I've said, the points game becomes more simple when you don't have to worry about those three percentage categories. OPS becomes an important stat (combination of on base percentage & slugging percentage) because it reflects total points including walks & extra base hits. Batting average is almost a non-factor in the points leagues. With pitching, innings, strikeouts, wins & saves are all that count....which really simplifies things there. The really big difference with pitching in the points leagues is that you can only have a maximum of 11 SPs. Obviously, it would be to everyone's advantage to carry about 14 so they would have more opportunities for 2-start weeks, but everyone faces the same restrictions there. To me, this means that as much as possible, you need to make all of your purchases for SPs who are going to begin with an attractive 2-start week for you. After all, you are going to have 2 or 3 extra hitters on your bench with only 11 SPs, so you shouldn't have to replace hitters on your roster very much.

I think you will like the points system, once you get a taste of it....it you decide to make the change. As much experience as you already have in fantasy baseball, it's not like you would be starting completely from scratch. I think that CDM has a relatively cheap points game in the playoffs. That might be a good way to get a feel for it before next season.

Actually, I consider 2006 as my best year. Didn't profit much, but I finished 1-12-under 100 in Diamond Challenge. They had somewhere between 3500-5000 teams in those years. My certificate is framed, and hangs in my Indiana/computer room. lol

I think that you may be right about me liking the points game. It seems like more of a scaled down version of the roto game. Kind of akin to Clabber in regards to Rook. (might need to be from the Midwest to understand that comparison) I would like to think that I could quickly adapt to a new format. Fellows at work tell me ever year that they have an opening in their keeper league. I really think I would do very well in that kind of league. While it has never been about the money, playing for just bragging rights probably wouldn't inspire me to do the research.

I tried like hell to fit Kershaw in my lineup....fell just 30k short. Had to put Max in and we all know what happened. lol This week pretty much made me toast for the Gold league. I have to now start planning my lineup for the rookie league from here on out. That we also be a challenge since those teams have taken a big hit also this week.

Best news of the day is the team from Bowling Green Kentucky is going to Williamsport. (sp) Didn't think they had a chance. They were struggling at the plate and faced a pitcher that pitched a perfect game on Monday. Their hitting was crazy and won by the 10 run rule. If you are not watching LL baseball you need to....good for the heart. :)

Not sure if that helped or hurt me...have both Cole and Melancon. Not looking at things real close right now. lol It sure was a historical day for hitters in fantasy. The guy in 20th place in my easiest Rookie league had 29 rbi's/10 home runs/24 runs today. That is the best I can ever remember.?

Is that the same "Catcher in the Rye" that is playing in Fantrax Rookie Leagues? He is having a nice year over here also if it is the same player. Not so much the last couple years.

Actually had a big night in a couple of my rookie leagues. 10 points is a nice move for late August. Probably only have 1 league that I could be in the money. Still going to try and make that happen.

That guy "Little Feat" is amazing. He is now up to 1-4 out of 400 teams. Everyone else is playing for that $300 second place prize.

Melancon has been killing me! Seems like he gets a save every day....and about everyone in the top 6 or 8 teams in my league has him. Lucky for me that Tolleson has turned out so well. Nobody else in my league has him and he has been pretty solid, too. Another guy who has been hurting me is Mookie Betts. Most top teams have him and he has been playing very well during the last half of the season. Instead of him, I took Braun (very expensive) & Pederson (very cheap). Both were poor choices and have just been taking up space on my bench for about a month. Still hoping to land a 2nd or 3rd-place finish....but this has been a frustrating year, to say the least. As I said, we probably got spoiled last year, when just about everything broke our way.

I've been watching to see when CDM announces its playoff games. They usually have both a roto & points game (with a free bonus competition for combined finish if you play both games.) I will play the points game, and it might be a good way for anyone to get a little experience with the points game before next year. I will post the link as soon as CDM announces it.

I might play a post season game this year. My teams have been so bad that I haven't been pressing like usual this time of year. lol (not feeling the fatigue) As you know, I take the first 2 weeks of October off to visit family and play golf. My favorite time of year....sucks winter follows. :(

Both Fantrax and CDM have Keuchel listed to pitch on Monday....but to only get one start next week.

I don't think I have ever seen that before....a pitcher starting in a game on Monday and only getting one start in a full 6-game week.

(Keuchel has been unbeatable at home this year. Looks like they would want to give him that 2nd home start on Sunday, too, rather than going with a 6th SP.)

Once I picked up Keuchel I rarely take him out....never at home. Is that first game on the road?

My poor finish this year is do to thinking I would stay in the mix being able to afford high priced pitchers ever week. (Max/felix/Kershaw) i got beat up by teams who used their money on hitters and cheaper pitching.

I actually would win $20 if the season ended yesterday. lol One of my Rookie leagues is just terrible. It has some good players (1-2 overall last year) but other than Northcoast everyone sucks. Last time I checked nobody other than NC was even in the top 40 overall.

lol, I meant I would win a total of $20 in prize money. I'm going to have to pony-up some money next January.

The guy I am tied for 4th with has 8 purchases left. He doesn't own Cole who has 2 starts this week. He doesn't own Arrieta who is absolutely on fire right now. He also doesn't have Keuchel who continues to pitch very well. (he put Pineda in this week) What the hell is he waiting for? Just a few things I noticed with a quick look at his team. It's embarrassing that players like him are beating me. lol

Nice avatar, btw.

Too bad you don't get any points for the catch Gardner just made. One hell of a play!

He missed part of this week from running into a wall. Don't those guys know that offense is all that counts in FB? So...don't be running into walls and getting hurt! (LOL)

I've already taken Gardner out for Braun next week. Picked up Holland with one of my last two purchases. He has two home starts next week and has been pitching well, except for his last start. Getting down to the nitty-gritty now. Trying to salvage $300, anyway.

I had the phone in my hand and was about to drop a couple bills (no pun) on my Colts. Sure glad I made a last second decision to set this week out. I rarely gamble these days but have wondered about this "fanduel" game that is being advertised big time. You know anyone who plays this game or anything about the game? If anyone still reads this thread then please chime in.

I am rooting for you in your points league. Pretty odd that we are struggling so much this year. I also see several really good players besides us that haven't faired too well this year. However there are some players who have at least been able to stay in the money this year so my hat is off to them.

Here is CDM's points-style MLB playoffs game:

http://www.cdmsports.com/baseball/diamondchallenge-points-playoff/

Because they are paying that $2,000 first place overall prize, the league payoffs suck. You can enter for $20, but in reality, you need to buy the $40 all-inclusive package to be competitive. If Fantrax had a playoff game, it would only pay league prizes and first place would $400 (10x the entry fee)....but they don't, so CDM is the only game in town if you want to play. (Other than Fan Duel, of course...don't know exactly what they've got.)

CDM always pisses me off with their payoffs, compared to Fantrax.....so I may or may not play. Paying $40 for a 25-team league with only a $100 first place prize is really indefensible unless you are just a hopeless addict who doesn't really give a damn which team actually wins and just want to be in the game to have a reason to watch the playoffs. LOL.

CDM will still probably have close to 40 leagues of entries and make an obscene percentage profit. They could easily double their league payouts and still make a more than reasonable profit. They are paying $3,425 in total overall prizes & $185 in total prizes for each league. If every entry took the $40 all-inclusive option (which most will), they would get $1,000 in entry fees for each league. In that case, just 5 leagues would take in $5,000 and pay out only $4,350. ($3,425 plus $925 for 5 leagues). That would be a more than reasonable 13% profit for them. However, they are going to have many more than 5 leagues....and after those first 5 leagues CDM is going to be making an $815 profit on every league. If they had 30 leagues (which they will probably surpass), they would take in around $30,000 in entry fees and pay out a total of only $8,975. That's ridiculous. Fantrax's Gold League, by comparison...has a payout ratio of 86% ($6,000 total prizes for top 6 places & $7,000 in total entry fees of $280 x 25 entries).

That I have to pay $40 to compete against 25 teams to win $100 is ridiculous. I think I will do my usual October...play golf and watch baseball.

btw, my golf game has gotten worse over the summer.

Back