• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fantrax/CDM Fantasy Sports

Thru games of May 1st:

Bronze: 2-3-3-4 --- 51/650
Silver: 7-7 16/90

Payout with those finishes would be $505.

3rd straight day of modest gains after four straight days of declines. All six teams are back in the money again....though some of them only barely. Have 3 SPs going today, so I'm hoping to continue regaining some of the ground lost since my April 24th high water mark of 1-2-2-2 (19/650) and 2-3 (4/90).

6 earned runs in 13 innings is not what I hoped for in a Kershaw/Cueto matchup. Got a win so it could have been worse. Only batted .190 so not a very good day. Dropped 4.5 points and have several pitchers going today. Tonight with 5 pitchers going could be huge in either direction.

6 earned runs in 13 innings is not what I hoped for in a Kershaw/Cueto matchup. Got a win so it could have been worse. Only batted .190 so not a very good day. Dropped 4.5 points and have several pitchers going today. Tonight with 5 pitchers going could be huge in either direction.

I watched that game on the MLB network. The Giants...whose offense has been almost completely moribund all year...repeatedly hit Kershaw hard.

And I saw where Fantrax has said that Kershaw is going to pitch Sunday after all. I really never doubted that, to be honest. 7 days rest for the ace of your staff just made no sense to me.

Once again I have 2 pitchers going against each other. Verlander and Kluber .

Thru games of May 2nd:

Bronze: 2-4-3-4 --- 46/650
Silver: 6-7 --- 15/90

Payout with those finishes would be $600.

4th straight day of gains....modest, though, they may have been. Things are settling down quite a bit among the top teams in the leagues already now (earlier in the season than usual, I think) and position movements have become more restrained. I'm not nearly back to the point where I was after April 24th, but my positions in money spots for all leagues are much more solid now as we put more games behind us. Of course, that also means that it is harder to move further up in the standings.....which is always the case when you are in the top 5 or 6 already. If I don't get a lot more injuries....particularly from pitchers....I feel like I am at least going to be in a position to have in the money finishes for all six teams. And you could do a whole lot worse than that!

This sure has backfired. Seven pitchers and I have dropped 12 points this week.

I believe that the way you approach pitching in roto as compared to the way you approach it in points is one of the biggest differences in the two games. Sometimes, more pitching is not necessarily better in roto. Yes, you have a chance to get more strikeouts and more wins with more starts....but you also have a chance to actually lose ground in two categories (ERA & WHIP). And since each category has equal weighting, you have two categories where you have a better chance to gain ground with more starts, but also two categories where having more starts is neutral...and might even end up hurting you. In the points game, on the other hand, you want to get as many starts and as many innings as possible, because there are no negative points for having a bad ERA or WHIP. (This is also why the points game limits everyone to 11 SPs. If they didn't have that rule I would load up with 15 SPs so that I could get as many 2-start guys every week as I could get.)

Here are the current "in the money" teams in my six leagues:

Bronze (25 Teams/League - $150/$75/$50/$30):

1 Joe Buck Yourself - 2749.7
2 Bob Knight Fan - 2703.7
3 Triple C's Club - 2669.3
4 Stars and Bars - 2666

1 Sterling Heights Trojans - 2749
2 A2w-tiny bubbles - 2742
3 Mucksters - 2708
4 Bob Knight Fan - 2703.7

1 DarvishDarvish - 2709
2 Mucksters - 2706
3 Bob Knight Fan - 2703.7
4 Craqckerjacks - 2686

1 Theole55 - 2715.3
2 Pastor Pain - 2707
3 Sabotage - 2706.3
4 Bob Knight Fan - 2703.7

SILVER (30 Teams/League - $2,000/$1,000/$700/$500/$325/$225/$150/$100):

1 SPCL2 - 2770.3
2 Dynamite Redbirds - 2760.7
3 UNDERDOG - 2755.3
4 Life of Riley - 2744.7
5 Str8CashHomey - 2713
6 Bob Knight Fan - 2703.7
7 USUAL RINGERS - 2702.3
8 dharma bums - 2702

1 Injury Prone - 2773.7
2 SPCL1 - 2770.3
3 BOOG POWELL - 2755.3
4 Life of Riley - 2744.7
5 Tug's Bandits - 2730.3
6 The Silver Kitty - 2713
7 Bob Knight Fan - 2703.7
8 Lazy Sunday Afternoon - 2696.7

Last edited:
My era and whip both took a big hit.

I wish you had decided to try the points game. I really think you would like it if you tried it. You don't have to worry about ERA & WHIP there....so you can use a pitcher in places like Colorado or Boston more easily.

As long as you have been playing fantasy baseball, you would make the adjustment very quickly.

I wish you had decided to try the points game. I really think you would like it if you tried it. You don't have to worry about ERA & WHIP there....so you can use a pitcher in places like Colorado or Boston more easily.

As long as you have been playing fantasy baseball, you would make the adjustment very quickly.

Does points have a second season like game? I am scoring better tonight in pitching with nobody going.

Does points have a second season like game? I am scoring better tonight in pitching with nobody going.

Fantrax had mid-season games in 2011 thru 2014, but they didn't have one in 2015 or 2016. They will also handle all the record keeping for a private "commissioner" league for a one-time fee of $80 (I think it is) if someone wants to do their own league. I got in such a league that a long-time player from Texas had last year. I just mailed him $40 cash for the entry fee....though I could have also done paypal or a check. He was going to have a maximum limit of 50 teams and pay out 100% of the entry fees less the $80 Fantrax charge. He had been doing them for several years he said, if I wanted to get references for him. It worked just like the Fantrax-run leagues, as Fantrax kept all the records for purchases, daily standings, etc. The only thing you couldn't get from Fantrax were some of the info like "percentage owned", etc. It was completely on the "up & up", as Fantrax posted prize breakdowns once he had a final number of entries, along with daily stats & standings, etc...just like they would do with their own leagues. If he got the full 50 entries he was going to pay about 9 or 10 places, I believe, but he ended up with 26 teams, so I think he paid 7 places, maybe. Since the only deduction was that $80 fee to Fantrax, almost 100% of the entries were paid out in prizes. I finished 11th, though, so I didn't win anything...but Fantrax posted a list of the winners & prize money, just like it does for its own games.

Fantrax lists my team from that league with all my "past leagues" and automatically put me on the list to enter his league this year, if I wished. Since I already have 6 teams to keep up with, I hadn't thought that I would do that one again....but I still could...as could you...if we wanted to and Fantrax doesn't decide to do one again this year. I conversed with him several times by email and would have no qualms at all about his honesty regarding payouts, etc. As I said, he has been doing these leagues for many years now, using facilitators like Fantrax to handle all the data for a small fee.

Fantrax may start doing a mid-season again this year, I suppose, since they seem to be having more entries....particularly with the cheap leagues. If they don't, you could always do that one, since you only have that one team and it would only be $40 to enter. If you wanted to get a team, I could get you the contact info and I would get a team, too, if you did. Then, of course, there is always CDM. They will have many mid-season leagues, for sure.

The guy who ran that commissioner league went by "Shep Dogs". He had two teams in the regular Fantrax team using that name and also a team called "H to the Rizzo". (He is a Cubs fan.) Northcoast had a team in his mid-season league and there may have been some others you would regognize. Giggity Giggity, maybe?

Anyway, I learned of that league thru a notice somewhere from Fantrax on my Fantrax team threads, so I assume that you probably had the same notice somewhere....and it will probably be listed again this year. I only decided to try it after I found out for sure that Fantrax wasn't going to do its own league. Wasn't sure about it to begin with because I had never done a private league like that before. I thought "what the hell" though, as it was only $40. As I said, now that I did one, I don't have any concern about the guy's legitimacy. Like everything, there is something I like a little better & a little worse about it. You don't get quite as much info since you don't get percentage owned numbers, but the payout is even better than Fantrax's payout.....which is itself far better than CDM's.

Last edited:
Here are the final standings for that mid-season league:

1-Team Sunday
2-Helmet Of Midseason
3-Shep Dogs
4-Fire Turtles
5-Silverbacks
6-Dirty Dozen Bandit
7-Giggity Giggity
8-Bad Call
9-Northcoast
10-Steel
11-Bob Knight Fan
12-Garys Dreamers
13-JENNALLYS
14-Gnats
15-Dynamite Fredbirds
16-Dock's No-Nos
17-HOG
18-Rajah & Dutchman 4
19-Homer's Homers
20-Juarense
21-UNABOMBERS
22-Sin City Sombreros
23-Catfish Hunter
24-ping pong
25-FL Wildcats
26-Meet The Mess

And payouts:

1-Team Sunday - $370
2-Helmet Of Midseason - $235
3-Shep Dogs - $130
4-Fire Turtles - $100
5-Silverbacks - $75
6-Dirty Dozen Bandit - $50

So he actually paid 6 places, rather than 7 (which I just said from memory) when I went back to my past teams listed on Fantrax. As I said, Fantrax keeps all records on its commissioner leagues, just like the leagues it runs itself. The total entry fees for 26 teams was $1,040. The total payout was $960......92.3%. You can't ask for anything better than that.

Thru games of May 3rd:

Bronze: 2-5-4-6 --- 62/650
Silver: 8-8 --- 17/90

Payout with those finishes would be $305.

4-day run of gains came to an end yesterday. Not surprising, since I had no SPs going. Nor will I have any today or tomorrow, but I should have extra ones this weekend when the 6 guys who pitched on Monday & Tuesday pitch again on Saturday & Sunday. That's the way it goes when you have a full set of SP starts....you aren't going to have any on Wed/Thur/Fri, so your gains (if you are going to have any) should come during the first two days of the week and the last two days of the week. The other three days you are just trying to hold your own ground, if possible.

Thru games of May 4th:

Bronze: 2-6-4-7 --- 70/650
Silver: 7-8 --- 17/90

Payout with those finishes would be $355.

Just limping along until I can get some SPs going on Saturday & Sunday.

Thru games of May 5th:

Bronze: 3-5-4-6 --- 79/650
Silver: 10-8 --- 19/90

Payout with those finishes would be $180

Glad those three days with no SPs are behind me. Hopefully, the weekend will go better with 5 SPs scheduled to pitch (I think Verlander got pushed back a day to miss his 2nd start this week) Injuries continue to pile up, though....and Zunino just got sent down to the minors. Now have Paxton, Bedrosian, Syndegaard & Forsythe on the DL.

Thru games of May 5th:

Bronze: 3-5-4-6 --- 79/650
Silver: 10-8 --- 19/90

Payout with those finishes would be $180

Glad those three days with no SPs are behind me. Hopefully, the weekend will go better with 5 SPs scheduled to pitch (I think Verlander got pushed back a day to miss his 2nd start this week) Injuries continue to pile up, though....and Zunino just got sent down to the minors. Now have Paxton, Bedrosian, Syndegaard & Forsythe on the DL.

I was hoping for big gains this week without having to use any purchases next week. Replacing Zunino for about the same price will be easy. That should be an upgrade since he wasn't giving us anything other than a low salary. I have a handful of players on the dl as well.

I was hoping for big gains this week without having to use any purchases next week. Replacing Zunino for about the same price will be easy. That should be an upgrade since he wasn't giving us anything other than a low salary. I have a handful of players on the dl as well.

I'm not even going to replace Zunino right now. I've already used more purchases than I should have this early in the year and there aren't any catchers whom you can depend on to give you significant numbers. The way I figure it, a catcher would only contribute somewhere around 2% of my total points for 28 players in a lineup....in other words, less than half of what an average player would contribute. And since he is as cheap as he is, I'm just going to leave him in my starting lineup....for the time being anyway. I couldn't do that if it was a more expensive player at a position where I could get a replacement whom I thought would contribute to my score....but catcher is pretty much a dead position right now unless you want to spend quite a bit more money, and even then you can't count on steady production.

I have 3 SPs going tonight. I'd like to get 70 points out of them. That would be 3 wins with something like 20 innings & 20 strikeouts.

LOL. Now Taillon has gone on the DL. You are only allowed to have 11 SPs in the points league...and now 3 of my 11 are on the DL.

LOL. Now Taillon has gone on the DL. You are only allowed to have 11 SPs in the points league...and now 3 of my 11 are on the DL.

I have had 2 players sent down, and have dropped a closer and a starter. Have 4 starters and a closer on the DL. Of course Haniger is also out for a month. Dropped my 3rd catcher last week and now I have 1. lol

I will have to think about how I want to go forward at this point.

Back