• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fantrax/CDM Fantasy Sports

Bkf, considering It seems like Darvish gets no run support when he pitches, you gotta start him

I'm having second thoughts about whether or not I want to start Sonny Gray next week. I know that it's a generally accepted rule that if you can't start a guy with two starts he probably shouldn't be on your roster...but there are other circumstances to consider here: 1) Gray's two starts are at Texas (with Darvish) & at Boston (with Lackey). Texas & Boston are two of best hitters' parks in MLB. 2) If I can round up a little money, I could replace Gray with Felix Hernandez...whose one start is against Houston. (My other one-start SP will be Ventura at home against Toronto.) I would still have 10 starts. I'm not sure but that Felix would chart to have more wins against Houston in one start than Gray would have in two starts...when one is at Texas against Darvish & the other is at Boston. Gray would probably get a couple more strikeouts in his two games than Felix would get in his one...but Felix' ERA & WHIP should be considerably better in one start against Houston than Gray's ERA & WHIP in two starts at Texas & at Boston. What do you think? It's very rare to have a situation where you are better going with a guy who has only one start than with a guy who has two starts...but I think it's something to consider in this situation.

I have been thinking the same thing...imagine that! Of course there is also some buyers remorse setting in on Gray. He is the last move made on my final roster. Kind of got caught up on him being named the ace of a probable playoff team. Especially at 800k. The guy I wish i had instead of him is Cueto. He lost a lot of value due to the late season injury last year. He looks to be back to his old form.

For the first time ever I had all 4 closers get a save in the same day this year. It happened again tonight. This is the first time i have ever carried 5 closers, and it is due to injury. Amazingly all 5 got a save tonight. Fantasy Baseball never gets boring since every year is different. Last year half the teams in my league were batting .300 at this point. Nobody even close to .300 this year.

BKF I would stick with what you have, Tulow has consistently ended up on the DL and if he does after you make another transaction you would be in serious trouble. I would stick it out with what you I have until/unless he can stay healthy and someone else gets hurt.

I can remember....not long ago....when you weren't so kind in your analysis of Pujols. LOL. Of course, I can understand the reasons. He is playing much better and his price is considerably lower. As you say, this game never gets boring....as things continue to change.

(BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if you get a chance to see The Blob go on the DL at some time this year, too. :) )

I'm 3-9 & 1-5 going into Sunday. Think I'm off to about as good a start after a month into the season as I can remember.

I really thought Pujols was washed up as far as being a big time star. Clearly 1 month doesn't mean a whole lot. It's not his home runs that makes me look at him differently, it's striking out only 1-11 at bats. He guards the plate so well when he is making contact good things are going to happen. What aggravated me the most was his high price tag. It is still too high at 1300k, imo. I need to improve runs/rbi's before I get too far behind. While I am not scoring well it wouldn't take a lot to improve my numbers if it happens in the next couple weeks. I may have an odd looking team after today.

You are off to a great start this year. I though it was a fluke when my Gold team was ranked higher than my Rookie team. Two weeks later and that hasn't changed.

BKF I would stick with what you have, Tulow has consistently ended up on the DL and if he does after you make another transaction you would be in serious trouble. I would stick it out with what you I have until/unless he can stay healthy and someone else gets hurt.

I can't argue with any of what you are saying. I would like to add he can also punish you when he gets hot and you don't have him.

I think you are probably right. I just need to resist the urge to act when it's not absolutely necessary.....something I failed miserably in with Springer.

ETA: Got another potential problem with SS now, though. Desmond only has 5 games next week (Tulo has 7...3 in hitter-friendly Arizona & 4 at Coors)....and Ramirez came out of the game yesterday with a thumb injury. Don't know the extent of that, yet.

I really don't have a choice. I don't have anyone to put in for Davis other than Desmond and he may have to go in for HR. My other options. :(

McCann, Brian C - NYY Reserve 730 21 78 11 19 3 9 0 .244
Gyorko, Jedd 2B - SD Reserve 770 25 87 6 13 1 8 2 .149
Moustakas, Mike 3B - KC Reserve 780 22 77 7 12 4 11 0 .156

I won't do anything until after all of today's games are over, of course, but my inclination at this time is to pick up Tulo and drop Springer. Then I would just put Tulo in at SS for Ramirez. This decision would be an easy one if we find out that Ramirez is going to miss a few games.

Picking up Springer was a big mistake....but maybe the best thing to do would be to quickly cut my losses with him and accept the fact that I just pissed away one of my claims. The guy has struck out 15 times in 43 at bats and has a .233 slugging percentage....and he's playing in that anemic Houston lineup, even if he started to hit a little bit. Looking back at it, I don't know what the hell I was thinking....since the guy had absolutely no ML track record at all. However, what's done is done. No use continuing to beat myself up over it, as there is nothing I can do about it now. I can't go forever with only 7 outfielders, of course, but since the 7 I would have left are all guys I like, I can get by with 7 for awhile, anyway.

ETA: Make that 6 outfielders. Harper to the 15-day DL. Things starting to get a little complicated here.

I hate to see anyone get hurt. (how about Braun hitting Segura in the head with a practice swing) I still say that Harper is too reckless. He gets benched for not hustling while getting hurt twice in the base path. I'm probably way too hard on this kid. (old men can get/be that way) He was just in too big of hurry to get to the big leagues. He dropped out of high school, got his ged, and went to junior college just to join MLB a year or 2 earlier. His talent made it possible, but growing up is usually a much slower process.

Made three roster moves. I still don't like my team that much. I have a ton of guys on the DL right now handcuffing my roster; I have well over a mil in cap space.

All my cheaper, value guys are killing it. All my big money guys are playing terribly.

When do rosters have to be set by tomorrow? I currently have Hanley in and I don't wanna get screwed if he goes to the DL

When do rosters have to be set by tomorrow? I currently have Hanley in and I don't wanna get screwed if he goes to the DL

7:05 eastern

I doubt he will go on the dl. His thumb is just bruised and he even pinch hit for a hit today. Hopefully he will be ready to play the field soon.

I am usually really conservative when it comes to using my purchases. However, for just 70k I could have Tulo/Abreu/Pujols instead of Fielder/Davis/Miller. Miller sat today due to just poor play. Davis is another guy that is on the dl.

I believe that I can make cap without doing the Fielder/Pujols trade. If so then that will be put on hold for the time being.

Roster for next week

ACTIVE
Pos Player Salary
C Gomes, Yan C,UT - CLE 560,000
C Posey, Buster C,UT - SF 830,000
1B Cabrera, Miguel 1B,UT - DET 1,760,000
1B Fielder, Prince 1B,UT - TEX 1,450,000
2B Dozier, Brian 2B,UT - MIN 760,000
2B Hill, Aaron 2B,UT - ARI 920,000
3B Carpenter, Matt 3B,UT - STL 1,170,000
3B Moustakas, Mike 3B,UT - KC 780,000
SS Ramirez, Hanley SS,UT - LAD 1,250,000
SS Tulowitzki, Troy SS,UT - COL 1,330,000
OF Gomez, Carlos OF,UT - MIL 1,180,000
OF Gonzalez, Carlos OF,UT - COL 1,380,000
OF Hamilton, Billy OF,UT - CIN 710,000
OF Myers, Wil OF,UT - TB 830,000
OF Stanton, Giancarlo OF,UT - MIA 1,020,000
OF Trout, Mike OF,UT - LAA 1,750,000
UT Abreu, Jose 1B,UT - CHW 800,000
UT Jones, Adam OF,UT - BAL 1,460,000
SP Bumgarner, Madison SP,P - SF 1,230,000
SP Darvish, Yu SP,P - TEX 1,250,000
SP Fernandez, Jose SP,P - MIA 1,190,000
SP Gray, Sonny SP,P - OAK 800,000
SP Ventura, Yordano SP,P - KC 600,000
SP Wacha, Michael SP,P - STL 870,000
RP Jansen, Kenley RP,P - LAD 1,170,000
RP Soria, Joakim RP,P - TEX 890,000
RP Uehara, Koji RP,P - BOS 1,160,000
P Rodriguez, Francisco RP,P - MIL 840,000
Total 29,940,000

RESERVE
Player Salary
McCann, Brian C,UT - NYY 730,000
Gyorko, Jedd 2B,UT - SD 770,000
Castellanos, Nick 3B,UT - DET 600,000
Desmond, Ian SS,UT - WAS 1,180,000
Cuddyer, Michael OF,UT - COL 1,170,000
Price, David SP,P - TB 1,170,000
Salazar, Danny SP,P - CLE 690,000
Sale, Chris SP,P - CHW 1,210,000
Strasburg, Stephen SP,P - WAS 1,150,000
Teheran, Julio SP,P - ATL 940,000
Wainwright, Adam SP,P - STL 1,370,000
Robertson, David RP,P - NYY 990,000
Total 11,970,000

Harper out til at least July. I'm gonna drop him for a cheaper outfielder to accommodate getting Kershaw later

ETA: after being torn between Bautsita and Cruz, I went with Cruz. Probably the wrong decision since I'm the one that made it, but at least I saved 150K where as Bautista was equivalent in price to Harper. I like Cruz and his lineup. Should help me make some ground back up in the HR and RBI department

Last edited:
ACTIVE
Pos Player Salary
C McCann, Brian C,UT - NYY 730,000
C Posey, Buster C,UT - SF 830,000
1B Cabrera, Miguel 1B,UT - DET 1,760,000
1B Encarnacion, Edwin 1B,UT - TOR 1,320,000
2B Altuve, Jose 2B,UT - HOU 1,000,000
2B Kipnis, Jason 2B,UT - CLE 1,260,000
3B Castellanos, Nick 3B,UT - DET 600,000
3B Donaldson, Josh 3B,UT - OAK 1,210,000
SS Bogaerts, Xander SS,UT - BOS 600,000
SS Cabrera, Everth SS,UT - SD 920,000
OF Brown, Domonic OF,UT - PHI 1,070,000
OF Davis, Rajai OF,UT - DET 940,000
OF Myers, Wil OF,UT - TB 830,000
OF Puig, Yasiel OF,UT - LAD 1,160,000
OF Stanton, Giancarlo OF,UT - MIA 1,020,000
OF Trout, Mike OF,UT - LAA 1,750,000
UT Martinez, Victor 1B,UT - DET 1,070,000
UT Sandoval, Pablo 3B,UT - SF 960,000
SP Cingrani, Tony SP,P - CIN 800,000
SP Darvish, Yu SP,P - TEX 1,250,000
SP Fernandez, Jose SP,P - MIA 1,190,000
SP Strasburg, Stephen SP,P - WAS 1,150,000
SP Tanaka, Masahiro SP,P - NYY 1,000,000
SP Ventura, Yordano SP,P - KC 600,000
RP Balfour, Grant RP,P - TB 980,000
RP Romo, Sergio RP,P - SF 1,090,000
RP Rosenthal, Trevor RP,P - STL 1,100,000
P Gray, Sonny SP,P - OAK 800,000
Total 28,990,000

RESERVE
Player Salary
Davis, Chris 1B,UT - BAL 1,310,000
Hill, Aaron 2B,UT - ARI 920,000
Segura, Jean SS,UT - MIL 1,200,000
Arcia, Oswaldo OF,UT - MIN 600,000
Harper, Bryce OF,UT - WAS 1,100,000
Estrada, Marco SP,P - MIL 800,000
Kershaw, Clayton SP,P - LAD 1,660,000
Kluber, Corey SP,P - CLE 770,000
Perez, Martin SP,P - TEX 680,000
Sale, Chris SP,P - CHW 1,210,000
Sanchez, Anibal SP,P - DET 1,110,000
Grilli, Jason RP,P - PIT 1,050,000
Total 12,410,000

Townie, I see that you are going with just 3 closers. That is fine if that is what you want to do. I just don't know why you didn't drop Grilli who lost his role, or Harper is out long term when you made your purchase. Even if you ended up with 4 third baseman for now it is better than using roster space on someone that is out.

Madison Bumgarner will make his final start for me this weekend. I'm not paying 1230K for a guy who gets the hell knocked out of him at home by the Padres.

ETA: And he walked 4 batters. That's what really pisses me off. You're playing one of the worst hitting teams in baseball in one of the best pitchers' ballparks....and you walk 4 guys in five innings.

Must be a curse against the Ace in SF. Lincecum goes from lights out one year to terrible the next. Cain becomes the ace and the same thing happens. Same thing with Bumgarner. While he was never the ace, Vogelsong kinda washed up overnight. I was thinking about dropping Price for Kershaw, but this changes things.

Abreu and Tulo sure helped me in their first day. (figured it would be 0 for8 :)) Not a lot of at bats but batted over .300 for the first time this year. .340 Gained 9.5 points while dropping a spot in my Gold. Even with all the bad pitching it was a decent day. Fell in ranking though I'm getting closer to the group ahead of me.

It hit me last night that I didn't have to pick up an outfielder (Cruz). I'm kicking myself for not dropping harpernfor Abreu and gone with four first basemen. I really wish I wouldn't have rushed that move. Harpers was on my bench anyways. I should have just waited it out a week and gone from there

Townie, I see that you are going with just 3 closers. That is fine if that is what you want to do. I just don't know why you didn't drop Grilli who lost his role, or Harper is out long term when you made your purchase. Even if you ended up with 4 third baseman for now it is better than using roster space on someone that is out.

Had I known the extent of the Harper injury I would have certainly dropped him too. Still might. Grilli too, but I am running a little test this week.

Back