• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fed Gov't Guarantees Loan For Cars Built in Finland!

84Deac

Duck Commander
Reaction score
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/car-company-us-loan-builds-cars-finland/story?id=14770875

Now that's my idea of a jobs program!

I didn't think it was possible to pack any more waster/fraud/corruption in to the first 3 years of this administration, but my fear now is that this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Whomever the GOP nominee is, they are going to have a field day in the debates with Solyndra, this deal and all the other crap that was jammed through without being fully vetted.

Last edited:
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/car-company-us-loan-builds-cars-finland/story?id=14770875

Now that's my idea of a jobs program!

I didn't think it was possible to pack any more waster/fraud/corruption in to the first 3 years of this administration, but my fear now is that this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Whomever the GOP nominee is, they are going to have a field day in the debates with Solyndra, this deal and all the other crap that was jammed through without being fully vetted.

:willynilly::willynilly::willynilly:

I think you should read it more closely

I'm thinking 84Deac would have no problems at all if this was a Halliburton deal to outsource searching for WMDs in Iraq. Amiright?

Surprised we couldn't produce this vehicle in the U.S. Wonder what the reasons are that there are no manufacturers capable of producing the vehicle.

Last edited:
Surprised we couldn't product this vehicle in the U.S. Wonder what the reasons are that there are no manufacturers capable of producing the vehicle.

I imagine it is red tape tied to environmental permits needed related to the fuel cells, but that is just a guess. Or something union-related, if they are looking to utilize existing auto production facilities, as opposed to building a new facility.

Hilarious.

Obama guarantees funds to US Auto companies to build cars here in the US and is criticized for union cronyism. He guarantees funds for a US Company who ends up making their product overseas and he is also criticized.

Glaring hypocrisy aside, your outrage should be directed at the company (remember, COMPANIES CREATE JOBS!@@!!!111!) and not the government for trying to give them the tools to create jobs.

Last edited:
:willynilly::willynilly::willynilly:

I think you should read it more closely

Oh, I read the article. Is this what you are going to hang your hat on?

Henrik Fisker said the U.S. money so far has been spent on engineering and design work that stayed in the U.S., not on the 500 manufacturing jobs that went to a rural Finnish firm, Valmet Automotive.

Or this?

Fisker is more than a year behind rolling out its $97,000 luxury vehicle bankrolled in part with DOE money. While more are promised soon, just 40 of its Karma cars (below) have been manufactured and only two delivered to customers' driveways, including one to movie star Leonardo DiCaprio.

Who do they think is going to buy a $97,000 electric car?

I imagine it is red tape tied to environmental permits needed related to the fuel cells, but that is just a guess. Or something union-related, if they are looking to utilize existing auto production facilities, as opposed to building a new facility.

yep, gotta be the environmentalists and labor unions. Always is...

84 is so far off the deep end that it's sad. He had no problem with Haliburton buying Cheney then getting billions in no bid contracts. he had no outrage at $9B in CASH disappearing in the first months in Iraq. He had no problem with W's economic policies that helped take a $5.6T surplus to abut $10T in debt.

He also opposed saving GM and Chrysler.

But he has a problem with this....

Hilarious.

Obama guarantees funds to US Auto companies to build cars here in the US and is criticized for union cronyism. He guarantees funds for a US Company who ends up making their product overseas and he is also criticized.

Glaring hypocrisy aside, your outrage should be directed at the company (remember, COMPANIES CREATE JOBS!@@!!!111!) and not the government for trying to give them the tools to create jobs.

Sorry LK. No hypocrisy here.

People were upset about the auto bailout because of the way the deal crapped all over bankruptcy law and screwed the bondholders in favor of the unions.

In this case, the loan guarantee was made apparently without a requirement that all of the jobs be kept here. That's incompetence.

Where's the hypocrisy?

Henrik Fisker said the U.S. money so far has been spent on engineering and design work that stayed in the U.S., not on the 500 manufacturing jobs that went to a rural Finnish firm, Valmet Automotive.

Or this?

Fisker is more than a year behind rolling out its $97,000 luxury vehicle bankrolled in part with DOE money. While more are promised soon, just 40 of its Karma cars (below) have been manufactured and only two delivered to customers' driveways, including one to movie star Leonardo DiCaprio.

Who do they think is going to buy a $97,000 electric car?

Why did we need to go to the moon? There's enough cheese right here on earth!

Nothing in that article said that any taxpayer money was wasted or that the Finnish were getting it. It merely pointed out that they were going to have to build in Finland until they could get a facility going here. And Tesla was building theirs out. The CEO explained that to keep the business going they had to make good decisions for the company. That's how business works. It was still a good bet by this administration.

Government investment in new ideas in technology is nothing new. It benefits a wide range of private enterprise for decades as it did in the 20th century. It takes massive investment, some public, to develop new technology. It always has. The countries that are kicking our ass right now enjoy considerable public investment.

You are just looking for a boogyman around every corner

Or this?

Who do they think is going to buy a $97,000 electric car?[/QUOTE]

People on welfare that drive Escalades?

84 is so far off the deep end that it's sad. He had no problem with Haliburton buying Cheney then getting billions in no bid contracts. he had no outrage at $9B in CASH disappearing in the first months in Iraq. Don't think I was even on the boards at this time, so I'm curious how you know what my thoughts are on this issue.

He had no problem with W's economic policies that helped take a $5.6T surplus to abut $10T in debt. A $5.6T surplus??? It's a little early to be hitting the bong old man! Are these pre 9/11 CBO projections over a 10-year period? You are truly an unashamed sycophant for all things liberal.

He also opposed saving GM and Chrysler. I was opposed to TARP and I was opposed to the auto bailout as well. And if we were going to bail out the auto industry, then it shouldn't have been done while screwing the bondholders to stuff the pockets of the unions

Rant on!

Originally Posted by RJKarl
84 is so far off the deep end that it's sad. He had no problem with Haliburton buying Cheney then getting billions in no bid contracts. he had no outrage at $9B in CASH disappearing in the first months in Iraq. Don't think I was even on the boards at this time, so I'm curious how you know what my thoughts are on this issue.

Absolute crap. You were on the boards during the Iraq War. You supported it all. Saying you weren't here is false.

He had no problem with W's economic policies that helped take a $5.6T surplus to abut $10T in debt. A $5.6T surplus??? It's a little early to be hitting the bong old man! Are these pre 9/11 CBO projections over a 10-year period? You are truly an unashamed sycophant for all things liberal.

The problem wasn't 9/11. It W's insane tax cuts which you supported. You also supported unfunded wars. It has NOTHING to do with supporting "liberalism". It's about something much simpler MATH.

He also opposed saving GM and Chrysler. I was opposed to TARP and I was opposed to the auto bailout as well. And if we were going to bail out the auto industry, then it shouldn't have been done while screwing the bondholders to stuff the pockets of the unions

Once again you show you ignorance and being brianwashed. NO ONE gave up more than the Unions. They gave up TENS of BILLIONS in owed pensions and health benefits. They cuts their salaires and benefits for the future.

My bad YOUR MASTERS have told what to think no matter what the FACTS are. I shpouldn't expect the TRUTH to have ANY impact on you EVER.

The problem is when straight, party-liners like 84 and his counterparts on the equally fucked up liberal side believe "if only MY party were in charge, this shit would stop." That's the silliness that undercuts all their arguments.

Hilarious.

I think the criticism is more along the lines of cronyism in both cases, and not having any guarantees in place that all jobs created with the loan would stay in the US. I don't blame the company for taking the money and running, since apparently it was perfectly legal to do so. I blame the government for screwing up the conditions of the loan.

The problem is when straight, party-liners like 84 and his counterparts on the equally fucked up liberal side believe "if only MY party were in charge, this shit would stop." That's the silliness that undercuts all their arguments.

I'm actually more of a libertarian than a Republican. You won't get an argument from me about W being a disappointment as a President for a number of reasons, including Medicare Part D and No Child Left Behind. I want small government. I don't care which party gives it to me. Right now, the choices are big government or bigger government. Both of those paths lead to the same place and it isn't going to be pretty. The GOP way just takes us their more slowly. My only fear is we are still going to arrive there while I am above ground.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but building a factory capable of building this car would create jobs.

Back