• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former USC and NFL RB Joe McKnight gunned down in New Orleans

I'll defer to you because you seem to know more about this than I do, but it's hard for me to think that it's good policing to release a guy who just shot someone just because you're trying to figure out what to charge him with, especially given the previous road rage assault incident (that I'm sure the police were able to find out about). Don't you at some level have a duty to protect the community? Charge him with something to keep him in custody (which it seems clear that they had probable cause to do) and figure out the exact charges a few days later (as was apparently done here)

I get your point, but the way they did it increased the chances of getting a conviction. The prior road rage incident may not even be admissible in court. It also has to do with witnesses they were able to speak to at the scene versus tracking down later.

Last edited:
Sounds like Gasser told a story that fit under the stand-your-ground or self-defense laws, but witnesses disputed it, so after talking to them - they charged him.

"Normand began his news conference by telling reporters that Gasser had been charged with manslaughter and was in jail.

He said that the “totality of statement didn’t add up,” and that witnesses have come forward to dispute Gasser’s account of what happened at the scene of the fatal shooting."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sheriff-brings-trump-black-black-212807973.html

Back