• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former Wake student takes girl out for lunch (and Houston is pissed)

TexasDeac10

Alphonso Smith
Reaction score
Last edited:
What a dummy. Never ever ever ever be in a situation where you are alone with a student period. Ever.

Hmm, that's not quite a kidnapping. Talk about a sensational headline.

Seems like an easy mistake to make when you're young and desperate to connect with these kids.

Hmm, that's not quite a kidnapping. Talk about a sensational headline.

Seems like an easy mistake to make when you're young and desperate to connect with these kids.

Yea I'll change the headline. I'm not sure what to call it. Really, it's "Former Wake student takes girl out for BBQ."

But that doesn't really encapsulate the situation.

What a dummy. Never ever ever ever be in a situation where you are alone with a student period. Ever.

Yeah, especially in light of all the recent scandals.

The problem is that our generation has grown up watching shit like "Lean on Me" where the teachers/administrators did shit like this all the time to save students from their current paths.

Yea I'll change the headline. I'm not sure what to call it. Really, it's "Former Wake student takes girl out for BBQ."

But that doesn't really encapsulate the situation.

Former Wake student in trouble for teacher/student interaction? I don't knoes.

This is pretty much what I'm thinking. It was likely an innocent mistake, but in this day and age, you never set yourself up with a child alone, especially off campus.

I just hate this. I know exactly why this is a good rule, but I hate that it's a good rule. What's incredible is that this rule has even worked its way up to American upper education, to where undergraduate professors are wary of spending time with their students outside of class. It's deleterious to the entire academic experience, imo.

My anecdotal evidence: I had an English teacher at Wake who got her degrees from schools in the UK/Harvard. She said that at University College of London and Oxford, professors would regularly booze it up with their students. When she came to America as a young professor, she was really disappointed that this was not only a nonexistent activity but that it was frowned upon.

i know he had the best intentions in mind but come on dude. i think he watched a few too many "white teacher makes a difference in an urban school" movies.

ETA: i didn't see cookout's post to this similar point

Last edited:
How much of the fault for this kind of thing falls on the lack of training with those kinds of ultimatums?

One thing to keep in mind though is that White is sort of a political figure in the city. This is a huge non-story if he wasn't the former Mayor's son.

But he is, so it's a big story, which absolutely sucks for him.

Yeah, especially in light of all the recent scandals.

The problem is that our generation has grown up watching shit like "Lean on Me" where the teachers/administrators did shit like this all the time to save students from their current paths.

And to some extent we also had teachers that went out of their way to help us. There is a very fine line and you have to be very cautious of it. I know I would often times second guess my actions when I was working in a school before I acted. You have to, especially when they are middle school and above.

How much of the fault for this kind of thing falls on the lack of training with those kinds of ultimatums?

Just my opinion, but I honestly don't think teachers are given the moral training that they need in this day and age. It used to annoy me to no end to see teachers facebooking students or their parents. You're a teacher, don't be posting on your students' facebook walls and it's not ok for them to be posting on yours. I think in many ways admin is failing the teachers by not giving them training. Facebook and social media are not heavily focused on, until the past year or so, and still those giving the lectures often know very little on it. They also need someone to really train them and understand why and how to not put themselves in questionable positions.

Just my opinion, but I honestly don't think teachers are given the moral training that they need in this day and age. It used to annoy me to no end to see teachers facebooking students or their parents. You're a teacher, don't be posting on your students' facebook walls and it's not ok for them to be posting on yours. I think in many ways admin is failing the teachers by not giving them training. Facebook and social media are not heavily focused on, until the past year or so, and still those giving the lectures often know very little on it. They also need someone to really train them and understand why and how to not put themselves in questionable positions.

Yeah, I think you're absolutely right. Too many people period lack an understanding of the potential repercussions with social media.

Saw on the news this dude in LA facebooking a 15 year old. His response to her question just slayed me.

Her: "So what happens if I get pregnant, do we keep it, abort it, what?"
Him: "LOL. Stress."

I just hate this. I know exactly why this is a good rule, but I hate that it's a good rule. What's incredible is that this rule has even worked its way up to American upper education, to where undergraduate professors are wary of spending time with their students outside of class. It's deleterious to the entire academic experience, imo.

My anecdotal evidence: I had an English teacher at Wake who got her degrees from schools in the UK/Harvard. She said that at University College of London and Oxford, professors would regularly booze it up with their students. When she came to America as a young professor, she was really disappointed that this was not only a nonexistent activity but that it was frowned upon.

I think that has much more to do with the difference between American and British drinking cultures than any real difference in student/teacher interactions.

Back