• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GATOR BOWL VS TEXAS A&M, psyche RUTGERS

Kicking the fg was the right call.

The effort to draw them offsides was weak and unsurprisingly unsuccessful.

I think they just put the offense there so Rutgers didn’t call their own timeout. Once they realized we weren’t going to do anything it was too late and we just ran it to 2 seconds.

To be fair, Rutgers has lined up offsides 3 times already so a hard count isn't really needed. Haha. My guess is that the coaches didn't think there was enough time to draw a penalty, run a play, and then kick the field goal if the play wasn't successful. Why we even sent the offense out there is beyond me.

To be fair, Rutgers has lined up offsides 3 times already so a hard count isn't really needed. Haha. My guess is that the coaches didn't think there was enough time to draw a penalty, run a play, and then kick the field goal if the play wasn't successful. Why we even sent the offense out there is beyond me.
So they wouldn't call a TO

WF was protecting the defense and the kickoff unit. Clawson doesn't want the defense on the field even for one or two extra plays, and WF' kickoffs haven't been deep and the kickoff coverage has been spotty at best. Rutgers had TOs; so, if WF runs the FG unit out there, Rutgers calls a TO with 26 seconds left in the half, and then depending on where Rutgers is after the kickoff, Rutgers could run a couple of plays to try to score before the end of the half. By running the clock down to 2 seconds with the offense still on the field: no kickoff; no more plays for the WF defense.

26 seconds with a timeout is plenty of time to do that. Particularly as fast as Wake plays. Time to get the first down(clock stops), another shot at end zone and kick FG. That is risky. Don't get the first and no points.

I realize we are up by 10, but a pretty lackluster performance so far. D was terrible, bailed out by an INT and a replay review. Hartman got away with two atrocious throws (one right after a beautiful toss), so hopefully that's out of his system. The delayed handoff that resulted in a near safety was a real WTF moment.

We should win this game by 2-3 TDs if the D pulls its head of its ass and Hartman takes care of the football.

Hopefully both teams, but Rutgers will receive the opening kickoff of the second half.

Not sure if this was discussed but that weird pitch play where Hartman lined up under center. Was that called or a broken play? Ended up being successful but super bizarre and can’t recall seeing that before.

Rutgers.

It’s a lackluster affair overall. Wake attendance is good all things considered though.

I realize we are up by 10, but a pretty lackluster performance so far. D was terrible, bailed out by an INT and a replay review. Hartman got away with two atrocious throws (one right after a beautiful toss), so hopefully that's out of his system. The delayed handoff that resulted in a near safety was a real WTF moment.

We should win this game by 2-3 TDs if the D pulls its head of its ass and Hartman takes care of the football.

Yes, bailed out by INT, but it was the defense that got the INT, and that is just WF's game on D. Give yards and first downs, but rely on turnovers to stop the opponent. I'd rather have a D that gets 3 and outs, but WF's defense isn't there right now. Somehow, WF held Rutgers to 3 points after the first drive. So, that is good, but the defense is just hard to watch. The LB play is just impossible to stomach.

Back