• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gay Marriage - really?

Azdeac

Reaction score
So, it's not a big secret, I'm a registered Republican. I tend to be fiscally conservative and socially liberal though. I'm dumbfounded that this whole issue of gay marriage gets so much attention. I'm sorry - this country has much bigger issues around economic development and global relationships. It frustrates the hell out of me that legislating ones morality takes a higher priority than the real problems that face every day Americans. Why the hell does this issue deserve so much attention at a political national level? Do we really have nothing better to do with our time than worry what the hell will happen if 2 gay people get married?

So, it's not a big secret, I'm a registered Republican. I tend to be fiscally conservative and socially liberal though. I'm dumbfounded that this whole issue of gay marriage gets so much attention. I'm sorry - this country has much bigger issues around economic development and global relationships. It frustrates the hell out of me that legislating ones morality takes a higher priority than the real problems that face every day Americans. Why the hell does this issue deserve so much attention at a political national level? Do we really have nothing better to do with our time than worry what the hell will happen if 2 gay people get married?

Apparently, the gay marriage amendment was a big deal to the state Republicans after they took over in 2011. I believe they campaigned on jobs and the economy, so I feel the marriage amendment has to fit in with that somehow.

Great thread! Really stands out from the other ones that we already have.

You're correct sir - just drop the bigotry and prejudice and grant equality so we can focus on other issues

Social wedge issues will continue to rule the day until we have campaign finance reform. Corporations funnel huge amounts of money (sometimes directly, sometimes through shit like the Alliance Christian Defense League or whatever) to politicians so that they continue to make social issues a focus of their legislating. That way everyone will be distracted and corporations can maintain the status quo.

Good post.

It's your party, why are you asking us?

Forget every other item on the agenda. We need to worry about screwing the rich folks, gay or straight.

It's both parties, diametrically opposed. And yes, I live in AZ so that entitles me to breaks.

As an Arizona republican, how do you feel about gay illegal immigrants? Should they need an ID to vote?

No, it's Republicans that are primarily promoting and voting for discrimination.

Republicans: Pro-discrimination!
Democrats: Pro-baby killers!

I think we have both parties properly defined now.

AZDeac's point is directly linked to your response. Since you cannot have a conversation, this issue becomes bigger than it should because instead of discussing it, we start shouting at each other. When one side shouts, the other side shouts louder. Soon enough we can't hear any other issues (some of which we might find common ground on) because we are yelling so loudly at each other about how evil the other side is.

Good post AZ...thanks for sharing.

Republicans: Pro-discrimination!
Democrats: Pro-baby killers!

I think we have both parties properly defined now.

AZDeac's point is directly linked to your response. Since you cannot have a conversation, this issue becomes bigger than it should because instead of discussing it, we start shouting at each other. When one side shouts, the other side shouts louder. Soon enough we can't hear any other issues (some of which we might find common ground on) because we are yelling so loudly at each other about how evil the other side is.

Good post AZ...thanks for sharing.

So we're supposed to compromise on equality and treating everyone the same? Really? Is that something to compromise about?

This issue is about two things:

Imposing your religious beliefs on others

Separate but unequal

So we're supposed to compromise on equality and treating everyone the same?

No. First you have to compromise on religion vs atheism. Then on religion vs. secularism in politics. Then on your interpretation of the bible, and it's intentions. Then on Jesus's teachings, and the order of their importance. Ok, now you compromise on equality.

The amount of attention this subject gets vs. the impact it has on the country is out of whack. It should be a non issue, but both sides use it to demonize the other ('pubs: They want Sodom and Gomorrah!!!!; dems: they want to jail/kill/criminalize gay people!!!!!).

IMO, I don't care if two people get married...it does not deprive me of life/liberty/property. What does bother me is that it takes away attention from "real issues" The overreach of the federal gov't affects many more people than gay marriage, but gets little attention because it is not an issue that causes a visceral reaction (and the media likes that).

To me it is like the people who got their panties in a bunch about ATM fees, but didn't give a crap about giving 15% of their income to SS.

Also, I find it interesting that the majority of the vitriol is directed to "rednecks" that are against gay marriage when blacks are also (and documented) voted against it by a 2-1 margin...but you cant rag on them for that. LInk: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0512/76133.html

who says you cant rip blacks for it? ph gets much deserved vitriol for his asinine position

Back