• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

General Election Thread: Two Weeks Out

Hillary was a victim in the affairs and strutting out mistresses is the sort if trash we've come to expect from Trump.

when the gore/bush debates were at wake, we had secret service all over the quad. One of the officers mentioned it was like Hiroshima when Hillary found out about Monica.

I would love for Trump to win this election, but whomever wins isn't really going to affect me one bit. However, if Trump should pull off this upset, you might have to put several of the board posters on a suicide watch.

You might as well raise the Russian flag over the White House if Trump wins. it will belong to Putin.

KAC said Flowers hasn't been invited by the Trump campaign, but they can't prevent her from showing up if someone gives her a ticket. KAC's really good at what she does. Much brighter than Rove, but every bit as unlikable. KAC and Cruz both have young kids who will be attending Ivy League schools in a dozen years and their parents' career decisions and politics won't be viewed favorably in hindsight. Chelsea had minimal problems at Stanford relative to her classmate Ken Starr's daughter.

Pence isn't as bright or polished as Paul Ryan, but he still tries to put an aww shucks Midwestern spin on Trump's bullshit. Ryan knows Trump's an asshole and FOS and he never tries to pretend he's a true believer. Kasich is done if Trump wins and Ryan has problems, but still rather be taking their positions personally and professionally for the future than Pence's and Cruz's stances.

Hillary was a victim in the affairs and strutting out mistresses is the sort if trash we've come to expect from Trump.

Meh, it's always been a political marriage of convenience. I don't see her as a victim.

FMR and others, I saw a piece earlier where the premise is that Trump might be a sign of political things to come for the Pub party. Most of the thinking, and I've largely bought into it, has been that Trump is sui generis. Assuming he loses, he'll go away and Pub politics will go back to the way they were - a mix of Establishment, religious right, tea baggers.... But if you look at Europe, there has been a rise in nativism there in Hungary, Austria, France with Le Pen and in England with Boris Johnson and Nigel what's his face winning the Brexit vote. The 1 tie that traditionally has bound Pubs together is a pro business approach to politics. But now Trump comes along and he's extremely anti trade and immigration (in stark contrast with the Chamber of Commerce), and his budget projections are about as fanciful as Bernie Sanders' were. The religious right and tea baggers used to seem to buy into the party's pro business agenda. But with Trump, that's out the window. So my question is whether Trump is a 1 of a kind candidate or whether y'all think he's a portent of political things to come in the Pub party.

Conway and Pence have both said Flowers won't be at the debate.

Meh, it's always been a political marriage of convenience. I don't see her as a victim.

FMR and others, I saw a piece earlier where the premise is that Trump might be a sign of political things to come for the Pub party. Most of the thinking, and I've largely bought into it, has been that Trump is sui generis. Assuming he loses, he'll go away and Pub politics will go back to the way they were - a mix of Establishment, religious right, tea baggers.... But if you look at Europe, there has been a rise in nativism there in Hungary, Austria, France with Le Pen and in England with Boris Johnson and Nigel what's his face winning the Brexit vote. The 1 tie that traditionally has bound Pubs together is a pro business approach to politics. But now Trump comes along and he's extremely anti trade and immigration (in stark contrast with the Chamber of Commerce), and his budget projections are about as fanciful as Bernie Sanders' were. The religious right and tea baggers used to seem to buy into the party's pro business agenda. But with Trump, that's out the window. So my question is whether Trump is a 1 of a kind candidate or whether y'all think he's a portent of political things to come in the Pub party.

Trump doesn't give a fuck. If he loses, he'll walk away and not look back. He's no Joe Kennedy, he's not clearing the way for Ivanka's and Gas Chamber Boy's future. If Trump does win, would be shocked if he runs again. Has a lot more freedom in his current gig and even GOP House & Senate won't rubber stamp Trump's legislation.

Cruz and Pence aren't the future of the GOP either. Both are spineless weasels clinging to archaic social policies. HB2 shaved a decade off trans protections. Other than ENDA, LGBT issues are done and it's silly to perpetuate long term losing battles. If Zika is anything near as bad as predicted, abortion abolitionists become nearly extinct as well.

Leaves the GOP as a regional (Southern and Midwestern), mostly White, non-college educated, aging, anti-trade Main Street party. Can't survive without unions, corporate America, Wall Street, and Silicon Valley money.

LOL. MSM is doing its dead-level best to instill paranoia over a possible Trump win in November. And if the race stays close it is only going to get worse. You can already see it on these boards.

What politicians with entrenched power...in both political parties...fear most from a Trump presidency is their loss of power and the feeling that they may become irrelevant. You know that feeling has gotten very strong when you read that a Bush is going to vote for Hillary Clinton.

What those politicians and many posters here have in common is that both are mostly disconnected from what a majority of Americans are feeling these days. About all they can do about it is remind everyone of their own moral & intellectual superiority and point out that those who disagree with them are "dumbasses & rubes".

Maybe a smattering of reality is beginning to slip thru their closed minds, though, as you don't hear much talk about "ass-kicking landslides" anymore.

The Economist had a good article on this line of thinking a few weeks ago. In a nutshell the author believes that parties across the world (especially the US) will continue to shift towards either pro-globalism or anti-globalism instead of the dividing lines we've mostly known since ww2.

Whether Trump wins or not, he's already done significant damage to the country. The bar for decency and truth in political discourse has been driven into the ground by him. But I tend to believe we will see more trump types in the GOP moving forward. He's the culmination of a devolving party since the recession but I can't see trump supporters voting for the likes of an establishment type of republican ever again.

The one silver lining in this election is that there is a clear path for a legitimate third party candidate in 2020 now (I like Johnson but I wouldn't call him major league). Whoever gets elected is going to be wildly unpopular and half the country is going to hate him/her. Not sure who the person will be but they will have four years to lay the infrastructure for a run - which has been one of the biggest barriers to entry for a third party candidate.

Here's the economist article I referenced.

http://www.economist.com/news/leade...t-contest-matters-now-open-against-closed-new

Last edited:
Reactions: ONW
Conway and Pence have both said Flowers won't be at the debate.

RJ's pal Michael Flynn (Trump's future Defense Secretary with Russian ties) dismissed Cuban as being in the same class as Flowers. Cuban didn't get a $1M loan from Daddy to start his business, bankrupt a wannabe pro sports league, and get outbid for the Bills. Cuban's much more impressive than Trump and Flynn's an idiot. You know you're hurting when Christie has to tell you to STFU in meetings. Trump's handlers' punished Donnie for fucking up on Twitter again by disinviting Flowers from his party.

The Economist had a good article on this line of thinking a few weeks ago. In a nutshell the author believes that parties across the world (especially the US) will continue to shift towards either pro-globalism or anti-globalism instead of the dividing lines we've mostly known since ww2.

Whether Trump wins or not, he's already done significant damage to the country. The bar for decency and truth in political discourse has been driven into the ground by him. But I tend to believe we will see more trump types in the GOP moving forward. He's the culmination of a devolving party since the recession but I can't see trump supporters voting for the likes of an establishment type of republican ever again.

The one silver lining in this election is that there is a clear path for a legitimate third party candidate in 2020 now (I like Johnson but I wouldn't call him major league). Whoever gets elected is going to be wildly unpopular and half the country is going to hate him/her. Not sure who the person will be but they will have four years to lay the infrastructure for a run - which has been one of the biggest barriers to entry for a third party candidate.

http://www.economist.com/news/leade...t-contest-matters-now-open-against-closed-new

You're a NAFTA/GATT/WTO/TPP supporter aren't you.

Unless Trump starts shit with diplomacy (even odds), he's right. As a white male, things don't change much.

Dude asked three times in a security briefing why we couldn't use nukes. He wants to abandon all sorts of treaties.

Unless Bob1 has his retirement in gold bricks, it could affect him greatly.

LOL. MSM is doing its dead-level best to instill paranoia over a possible Trump win in November. And if the race stays close it is only going to get worse. You can already see it on these boards.

What politicians with entrenched power...in both political parties...fear most from a Trump presidency is their loss of power and the feeling that they may become irrelevant. You know that feeling has gotten very strong when you read that a Bush is going to vote for Hillary Clinton.

What those politicians and many posters here have in common is that both are mostly disconnected from what a majority of Americans are feeling these days. About all they can do about it is remind everyone of their own moral & intellectual superiority and point out that those who disagree with them are "dumbasses & rubes".

Maybe a smattering of reality is beginning to slip thru their closed minds, though, as you don't hear much talk about "ass-kicking landslides" anymore.

First off, don't be a dick. That article might be a little sensational but I know several people who struggle to talk to their kids about this election due to the diahrrea that comes from trumps mouth daily. Nothing a parent loves more than having to explain why one of our presidential candidates mocks those with disabilities or belittles women about their size.

Secondly, you should look in the mirror when calling others disconnected.

Excellent post, thanks.

Back