• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Getting a new tablet

deacphan

Reaction score
I did some searching and didn't see any threads on tablets more than $100. I have some upcoming travel and was thinking of getting a tablet for it. I'm not really looking for an iPad as I generally use PCs/Droids. Has anyone had any experience with the windows 8 based tablets and whether spending the extra money for one of them versus a straight entertainment oriented tablet actually allows you to do work on it? Any tablets people have loved or ones to stay away from? Links to helpful reviews would be appreciated as well.

I have the newest version of the Nexus 7, which is a great tablet. I really like the size. That being said, the newest is the Nexus 9, which has better specs, but is a bit larger. I use mine to read ebooks, surf the web/Facebook, do some emailing. If you want a tablet that could replace a laptop, I'd do the aforementioned Surface 3.

word. i'm guessing of the tablets meant to replace laptops from a business perspective those are the only usable ones. the price difference between the entry level surface 3 ($800) and the entry level entertainment only ones is pretty huge ($150 or so).

word. i'm guessing of the tablets meant to replace laptops from a business perspective those are the only usable ones. the price difference between the entry level surface 3 ($800) and the entry level entertainment only ones is pretty huge ($150 or so).

yeah, maybe I'm cheap but i don't really understand the whole "have a computer, but also get this smaller, less functional computer for other times".

yeah, maybe I'm cheap but i don't really understand the whole "have a computer, but also get this smaller, less functional computer for other times".

my work laptop is huge. often times when travelling for not work i'd love to have a way to get on and do emailing, maybe take a look at some excel, vpn to do some minor work on a virtual machine, etc. with out having to bring my work laptop. for this trip, i won't be doing any of that, so i may just get a cheaper tablet for movies on the plane, yelp reviews in a hotel, etc. then if i still want to look in to the work tablet wait until after the new year in hopes that the prices will drop. agreed on it seeming pricey. wish i could test drive one to see how much i actually could do from a work perspective for a few weeks because that's the biggest driver between spending $200 or $800.

Surface pro 3 is the only tablet I'd buy for more than just browsing the Internet and playing angry birds. It is a legitimate laptop in tablet form but it is pricey. Especially when you throw in the type cover (you should.)

I'm in the same situation re: work laptop but i still want to be able to run a few productivity programs at home, which is why i was thinking of canning my mac Air in favor of the Pro 3, b/c i liked the tablet aspects

My only advice is you dont have to go big. I got a retina ipad mini about a year ago, and not for once do I wish I had gone for a larger tablet. The beauty of a tablet is portability.

My only advice is you dont have to go big. I got a retina ipad mini about a year ago, and not for once do I wish I had gone for a larger tablet. The beauty of a tablet is portability.

Agree with this. I have a 10" HP touchpad, and I used my 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 way more before I lost it

I am in the Market for a new tablet as well as my 4 year old Kindle is just about toast. I have an IPad so will just use it to read books and my newspaper subscription through Amazon. Suggestions? Thanks.

I am in the Market for a new tablet as well as my 4 year old Kindle is just about toast. I have an IPad so will just use it to read books and my newspaper subscription through Amazon. Suggestions? Thanks.

Why do you need a new tablet if you have an iPad?

Surface pro 3 is the only tablet I'd buy for more than just browsing the Internet and playing angry birds. It is a legitimate laptop in tablet form but it is pricey. Especially when you throw in the type cover (you should.)

If you get a surface, get the one with actual keys and not soft keys.

why not just get a new kindle if you like the faux-paper screen? i also prefer my kindle for reading 100% of the time.

why not just get a new kindle if you like the faux-paper screen? i also prefer my kindle for reading 100% of the time.

Makes sense; is the model now called the Kindle Fire or is there a simpler one just for reading?

a simpler one; the Kindle Fire is their tablet. it has a glossy screen like most other tablets.

There are a couple different Kindle readers now: link to Amazon

Back