• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Getting a new tablet

Yeah, iPads kinda suck for reading in the sun. But a Kindle Fire is just like an iPad right as far as glossy screen?

So really you gotta get the old school paper screen kindle with no features or get a feature tablet and lose the screen? Right?

Yeah, iPads kinda suck for reading in the sun. But a Kindle Fire is just like an iPad right as far as glossy screen?

So really you gotta get the old school paper screen kindle with no features or get a feature tablet and lose the screen? Right?

Correct. The traditional Kindle is an e-reader while the Kindle Fire is a full functioning tablet like an IPad.

i had an iPad and found that it was just too big for convenient use as an e-reader. I now have a Nexus 7 and really, really like it. The size is perfect for reading and casual gaming, and the screen is gorgeous.

The only problem I have had is the USB/charging port stopped working, so I had to buy a wireless charging pad to charge it. Apparently this problem is not too uncommon.

I love the kindle paperweight, just really easy on the eyes while in bed or laying out by the pool.

What is the primary functionality you are looking for?

For all around use in an Android tablet, check out Lenovo's Yoga tablet 2. Has a little different form factor with a built-in stand and awesome battery life. Easy to hold, tilts for easy typing, etc. The 10" model makes the most sense. I think the new 13" model is too big. There is also an 8" model.

I use a Surface Pro 3 at work and it's great. Lightweight and portable compared to a laptop. Takes a week to get used to if you're not experienced with a touch screen for business, but now I love it. You can always connect a mouse or use the touch pen if you're not huge on touch screens.

What is the primary functionality you are looking for?

For all around use in an Android tablet, check out Lenovo's Yoga tablet 2. Has a little different form factor with a built-in stand and awesome battery life. Easy to hold, tilts for easy typing, etc. The 10" model makes the most sense. I think the new 13" model is too big. There is also an 8" model.

shill

I am officially retracting my prior recommendation of the Nexus 7. Over the weekend it turned into a brick. Won't boot past the Google logo, no response from the bootloader/recovery menu either. I'm pretty bummed as I used it all the time and will have to find something to replace it (funny how something I never owned before 2012 now seems totally indispensable). So I'm in the market for a non-Asus-manufactured tablet. Don't think I want to tie myself to Amazon with the Kindle Fire. What do people think about the Samsungs?

I am officially retracting my prior recommendation of the Nexus 7. Over the weekend it turned into a brick. Won't boot past the Google logo, no response from the bootloader/recovery menu either. I'm pretty bummed as I used it all the time and will have to find something to replace it (funny how something I never owned before 2012 now seems totally indispensable). So I'm in the market for a non-Asus-manufactured tablet. Don't think I want to tie myself to Amazon with the Kindle Fire. What do people think about the Samsungs?

My N7 is going strong. I really can't stand the idea of the physical home button on Samsung tablets, but other than that, I think it would be a good machine (touchwiz though is known for being a major resource hog). If you don't mind the larger size (and price), Nexus 9 (HTC) would be a good one.

I went with the Samsung Galaxy tab s 8.4. Arrives on Wednesday. We will see how touchwiz goes.

My N7 is going strong. I really can't stand the idea of the physical home button on Samsung tablets, but other than that, I think it would be a good machine (touchwiz though is known for being a major resource hog). If you don't mind the larger size (and price), Nexus 9 (HTC) would be a good one.
The physical home button (capacitive bezel) actually frees up more usable screen space. It's one of the few things I miss about my S5.

The physical home button (capacitive bezel) actually frees up more usable screen space. It's one of the few things I miss about my S5.

Android is "supposed" to have on screen buttons, and the screens are actually bigger than the standard resolution to account for the row of buttons. But to each their own, that's the beauty of Android over iOS.

First impression of Samsung Galaxy tab s 8.4:

It's substantially heavier than my old Nexus. Not sure I like that.
Build quality and feel seem very solid.
It's really thin, like thinner than my phone.
Touchwiz is going to take some MAJOR getting used to. I am going to research some hacks to see if there is a way I can simplify/turn off some of it. I much prefer stock android.
Trying not to be a downer about this new toy but man I wish my nexus 7 hadn't quit on me.

First impression of Samsung Galaxy tab s 8.4:

It's substantially heavier than my old Nexus. Not sure I like that.
Build quality and feel seem very solid.
It's really thin, like thinner than my phone.
Touchwiz is going to take some MAJOR getting used to. I am going to research some hacks to see if there is a way I can simplify/turn off some of it. I much prefer stock android.
Trying not to be a downer about this new toy but man I wish my nexus 7 hadn't quit on me.

If you can return the Tab, there's always the Nexus 9...

Re: TouchWiz, you can root and flash a ROM that is pure Android.

Have you tried installing a different launcher like Google Now Launcher?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.launcher&hl=en

On my old phone I used to install custom roms, but found the main reason I was doing so was to get the look/feel stock Android. A launcher can achieve much of that.

Having spent time with both TouchWiz and Motorola's old overlay, I don't understand why stock Android isn't a bigger selling point for most people. It's just so much better than any skin I've encountered.

Back