• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gimme you top five most likely

All of these scenarios where Wellman f's up the hire ring the most likely to me. When did all of this "in Wellman we trust" bs start? Why do/did people consider him some sort of genius AD? Dude has a bachelors from Bowling Green State in P.E. and he was Baseball coach. Whoopty fuckin doo. 75% of the people on this board are smarter than him, have accomplished more than him prior to his achievement of the Wake AD title, and have enough awareness and personality to drum up financial support from anxious wealthy alums who want to see there school do well. I'm sorry but the dude is a clown.

To be fair to ourselves, "In Wellman I Trust" was born at a time when football was achieving at unparalleled heights, Deacon Tower was being built, and basketball wasn't far removed from being #1 in the country. It was a different time.

To be fair to ourselves, "In Wellman I Trust" was born at a time when football was achieving at unparalleled heights, Deacon Tower was being built, and basketball wasn't far removed from being #1 in the country. It was a different time.

It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times...

Once upon a time, Wellman hired Grobe and Skip, and did so quietly and efficiently without the shitshow that other schools had experienced in their own coaching searches (i.e., the Sidney Lowe hiring). At the same time, the ACC expanded and Wake was protected. There were always grumblings that Wellman got more credit than he deserved, but it's hard to argue that wasn't doing a fine job until the bicycle accident when he got the brain damage that caused him to hire Jeff [Redacted].

As I said, we have to go balls to the walls for the Top 2. He's in a virtual tie for three with the others. It's like this:

Lol ok but you HAVE warmed up to the idea of Howland.

Only because it will look like we are trying...plus I don't trust most of the guys who haven't been High D1. I might like Massiello more than Howland...not sure.

Only because it will look like we are trying...plus I don't trust most of the guys who haven't been High D1. I might like Massiello more than Howland...not sure.

Masiello is a hot name right now, will be interesting to see if he gets looks between BC and Stanford if those open up.

#1) Kevin O'Neill - he's 57, below .500 record for his career, nobody likes him - the perfect Wellman hire. Will make [Redacted] look like a fucking rock star.
#2) Buzz Peterson - let's replace Bz with Buzz - I mean UNCW did beat the Deacs and that's a prerequisite for the hire, right? ACC ties too!!
#3) Jim O'Brien - ex head coach of the Celtics, Sixers, & Pacers. Totally destroyed the University of Dayton bball program going 10-47 his last 2 years there. Got to love the Ex-NBA type that can destroy a program!!
#4) Oliver Purnell - hey, while we are on ex-Dayton Flyer coaches - 26 years as a head coach with 6 NCAA appearances and 0 wins.
#5) David Greene - Mr. Kotter from Fast Break got some big wins and paid $60/win. Righteous bucks!! Go Cadwallader!!

I dig Howland. He is a winner. Not as good as Marshall or Shaka but would be a good hire.

WRANGOR

USE your inside bball connections and predict the future!

#1) Kevin O'Neill - he's 57, below .500 record for his career, nobody likes him - the perfect Wellman hire. Will make [Redacted] look like a fucking rock star.
#2) Buzz Peterson - let's replace Bz with Buzz - I mean UNCW did beat the Deacs and that's a prerequisite for the hire, right? ACC ties too!!
#3) Jim O'Brien - ex head coach of the Celtics, Sixers, & Pacers. Totally destroyed the University of Dayton bball program going 10-47 his last 2 years there. Got to love the Ex-NBA type that can destroy a program!!
#4) Oliver Purnell - hey, while we are on ex-Dayton Flyer coaches - 26 years as a head coach with 6 NCAA appearances and 0 wins.
#5) David Greene - Mr. Kotter from Fast Break got some big wins and paid $60/win. Righteous bucks!! Go Cadwallader!!

I think you misunderstood; this thread is only for people Wellman is likely to consider. Take Oliver Purnell off there.

WRANGOR

USE your inside bball connections and predict the future!

HAha. I would hire Marshall, then Shaka, then Howland. In that order. Who knows what will really happen. I have no inside info unfortunately.

I could put a call in to Thad, but I doubt he is interested :).

When "In Wellman We Trust" was a thing, in addition to Skip and Grobe, we were great in almost every sport - soccer, field hockey, tennis, etc.

I agree with RJ that we need to go all-out for Shaka or Marshall. When they say no, say "We're not taking no for an answer. What can we do to make you change your mind?" If they give you an answer, give them whatever they want - it's an investment that needs to be made to turn this program around. If they say nothing can change their minds and they won't even talk, then oh well, at least you tried.

As for Howland ... I wouldn't hate it, because not only is the guy a proven winner, but his style is conducive to postseason success in particular. However, I don't see how Wellman can possibly stand up at a podium and introduce Ben Howland after making us endure four years of Bz all in the name of "culture." While Howland might not have committed NCAA violations, "culture" is pretty much his biggest weakness.

I actually thought Purnell did a decent job at Clemson. Considering it was Clemson. And he had 1 of the best all-time facial expressions ever in that game when they blew out Dick at home. They were up 20+ late in the game and Oglesby blew a dunk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOBF5oGZz4E

I don't know what's going on at DePaul, but Purnell did do a good job at Dayton and Clemson. I remember thinking that he was a really good get to get DePaul back on track. Now that's a cursed program.

Back