• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Goodbye Wake, Hello William & Mary

deac85

Reaction score
Although I'm an alum, paying $65k a year for Jr. to go to MSD makes me throw up in my mouth. When he started talking about W&M ($25k or so), I didn't even try to talk him out of it.

He's at Wake now (Freshman) but will probably pack his crap up and start at W&M after Christmas

Moving back in state yet farther from home LOL.
Can't really blame you too much. W'burg isn't really my cup of tea myself but is Wake really 2.5x better than W&M academically? No way.

Bunch of bookworms and nerds there, and generally unattractive women, but I'm not going, so I don't care. And I'm going to save $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Educating our kids is crazy expensive. Class of '86 here and met my wife at Wake. Our son just graduated from MSD this past May.

We are both very proud of him- triple Deacs in our family!

According to USN&WR, Wake is 27th and W&M is 33rd, so no real difference

Bunch of bookworms and nerds there, and generally unattractive women, but I'm not going, so I don't care. And I'm going to save $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Yeah I was trying to be kind so I wasn't gonna go there haha.
All good - the beach and lots of dumb attractive women not too far away.

I'm curious - did it just not work out for him at Wake. Bonus for you on the cash, and I'd have pretty much the same mindset, just interested in junior's experience at MSD.

I talked to a frosh today who is transferring because he wants to major in music and the WFU music major isn't that strong.

I know an old who kind of bankrupted himself to send his kid to Princeton.

What did Princeton beget? Washington & Lee law

Lol

I'm curious - did it just not work out for him at Wake. Bonus for you on the cash, and I'd have pretty much the same mindset, just interested in junior's experience at MSD.

I talked to a frosh today who is transferring because he wants to major in music and the WFU music major isn't that strong.

..where are they transferring that it IS that strong?

I mean I feel like in middle school I gotta tell my kids, hey homies if you wanna go to a private college then you better study your ass off and get some sort of scholarship. ain't nobody impressed with well off white kids just getting into and graduating from a private school while paying full price.

..where are they transferring that it IS that strong?

Doesn't UNCG have a strong music program?

Ironically, William & Mary is #10 on this list:
http://college.usatoday.com/2014/06/19/the-top-10-music-colleges-in-the-united-states/

I mean I feel like in middle school I gotta tell my kids, hey homies if you wanna go to a private college then you better study your ass off and get some sort of scholarship. ain't nobody impressed with well off white kids just getting into and graduating from a private school while paying full price.

Aren't elite jobs in finance and big law mostly hiring well off white kids who graduated from elite private schools?

Aren't elite jobs in finance and big law mostly hiring well off white kids who graduated from elite private schools?

well if my kid(s) aren't good enough to get a scholarship then they'd probably be better off trying to be the top of their class at an elite public university than an average student at a good private school

TOUGH LOVE

Back