• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Goodbye Wake, Hello William & Mary

I had an intern in my office this summer who said that she went to the University of South Carolina because she got rejected by Appalachian State... :wtf: I am not sure if that was just a really weird aberration, but I still think of both USC and Clemson as being good schools.

You really shouldn't group USC and Clemson together - though people do. Clemson is actually a much better school than people realize. I believe it is a top 20 public school. USC on the other hand is a very generic, big SEC school. They have one excellent program (Int'l business) but otherwise do not stand out.
Clemson is much more difficult to get into. My daughter had friends who were flat denied at Clemson who got significant scholarships to USC.

You really shouldn't group USC and Clemson together - though people do. Clemson is actually a much better school than people realize. I believe it is a top 20 public school. USC on the other hand is a very generic, big SEC school. They have one excellent program (Int'l business) but otherwise do not stand out.
Clemson is much more difficult to get into. My daughter had friends who were flat denied at Clemson who got significant scholarships to USC.

Plus they are on opposite sides of the United States.

My feelings on the University of South Carolina are clear enough (although on a different subject, USC would be a fine institution by any measure), but then you take a bad school and put it in an awful city. Columbia is miserably humid and geographically unremarkable. Clemson is on a lake and close to the mountains.

I have no real love for USC, the "hidden" geographic advantage of Columbia is its central location. As a state capital that was actually designed intentionally to be in the center of the state, it is just over an hour from the beach and the mountains and only a few hours from major US cites in several directions. If you are willing to do something other than stay on campus and drink, then there is a lot to offer. Gross; I cannot believe I said that.

I have no real love for USC, the "hidden" geographic advantage of Columbia is its central location. As a state capital that was actually designed intentionally to be in the center of the state, it is just over an hour from the beach and the mountains and only a few hours from major US cites in several directions. If you are willing to do something other than stay on campus and drink, then there is a lot to offer. Gross; I cannot believe I said that.

I see - it's advantage is that it is easy to get to more desirable places. That's good because it is a shithole.

I see - it's advantage is that it is easy to get to more desirable places. That's good because it is a shithole.

I know, that's exactly what I said when I moved there. Must have been what the early city planners had in mind.
While it is no Austin, being in a college town that is also a state capital offers a few advantages.

Define several.

The advantage of being centrally located inside of a turd is well hidden.

I fucking hate Columbia, but people that live there seem to love it. I've got some friends that moved from Savannah to Columbia and they speak very highly of Cola. In fact, my buddy was saying they might stay there once he gets out of the Army in a few years and that shocked the hell out of me.

I fucking hate Columbia, but people that live there seem to love it. I've got some friends that moved from Savannah to Columbia and they speak very highly of Cola. In fact, my buddy was saying they might stay there once he gets out of the Army in a few years and that shocked the hell out of me.

"Better than Fayette-nam!(TM)"

*Better than Fayette-nam" is an exclusive trademark of the Columbia Chamber of Commerce. Any use, description, depiction or representations of the same or its affiliates, including but not limited to "Better than Fort Hood!", "Better than Huachuca!" and "Suck it Copperas Cove", is strictly prohibited without the advanced written permission of the Columbia Chamber of Commerce.

Seriously, if I had to live in that barbecue desert, I would strangle myself with my palm-tree encrusted pastel felt-belt.

Last edited:
Semi-interesting article - http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...a-waste-of-money-for-white-middle-class-kids/ Basic story is that private colleges really don't open doors for the demographic since their family background and connections will basically do the same thing.

On the question of WFU's value to middle class families, and as a point separate from the article, the school should ask itself whether a semi-competent financial planner could recommend WFU to a middle class family facing full tuition. I would be surprised if the answer is ever "yes." For families that don't have competing priorities for retirement and other expenses, the financial planner would probably say, "sure, why not, you have plenty of money." And for families that receive substantial aid, the planner would say, 'yes, go to college. Wake make sense because it costs less/same/just a few thousand more than Carolina." However, for famies with competing financial priorities and no real chance of a price break, I would have to think that most financial planners would tell their clients they are foolish to consider Wake.

"Better than Fayette-nam!(TM)"

*Better than Fayette-nam" is an exclusive trademark of the Columbia Chamber of Commerce. Any use, description, depiction or representations of the same or its affiliates, including but not limited to "Better than Fort Hood!", "Better than Huachuca!" and "Suck it Copperas Cove", is strictly prohibited without the advanced written permission of the Columbia Chamber of Commerce.

Seriously, if I had to live in that barbecue desert, I would strangle myself with my palm-tree encrusted pastel felt-belt.

palmetto*** tree encrusted pastel felt-belt, you dunce

any male that goes to any public school in SC that is not the College of Charleston... is a dumbass

Back