• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Google Fiber

I'm a bit confused by the television part of it

The real question: How long until Apple sues them for this?

So, Kansas City is the only city to have this thus far? It's gonna be a long long wait 'til this thing is available nationwide.

So, Kansas City is the only city to have this thus far? It's gonna be a long long wait 'til this thing is available nationwide.

Undoubtedly. I've lived over quite a bit of the East Coast and I've never even been able to get FiOS.

I had FiOS when I lived in MA. It was just grotesquely good. I'm sure this will also be good.

I had FiOS in my last apartment and it was AWESOME

The real question: How long until Time Warner/Comcast/AT&T sues them for this?

FIFY.

The traditional networks will get their buddies in Congress and state governments to help, too. Time Warner is pretty notorious for this in the SE.

I live in KC and they are asking everyone who wants it to preregister. It is $10, which will be deducted from first bill, and they are going to prioritize installation by neighborhoods with highest demand. I think I'm going to pay the $300 just for installation so I can have free internet.

FIFY.

The traditional networks will get their buddies in Congress and state governments to help, too. Time Warner is pretty notorious for this in the SE.

TWC does this up here in Ohio as well. They are worthless.

Same. It's never been available to me either.

laying down the fiber in cities and other densely populated areas is just way too damn expensive. However the more suburban areas get it. But tearing up pavement covering cobblestone to lay wires in cities? LOL

I just pulled up a service map I found for the Balt-DC corridor and its hilarious how the dots are dispersed around the beltways but barely any inside.

laying down the fiber in cities and other densely populated areas is just way too damn expensive. However the more suburban areas get it. But tearing up pavement covering cobblestone to lay wires in cities? LOL

I just pulled up a service map I found for the Balt-DC corridor and its hilarious how the dots are dispersed around the beltways but barely any inside.

I've only lived in one city. All other areas have been suburban as fuck.

Get your shit together, Verizon.

I've only lived in one city. All other areas have been suburban as fuck.

Get your shit together, Verizon.

If you get too far out, houses are too far apart and stuff to make it worthwhile

TWC does this up here in Ohio as well. They are worthless.

We almost had Fiber in Raleigh. The town of Wilson has its own Fiber network (called Greenlight) and they were seeking to expand to Raleigh. Time Warner got their buddies in the state Legislature to pass a law that makes it virtually impossible for municipalities to compete against them. I hate Time Warner with a bleeding, white hot passion.

If you get too far out, houses are too far apart and stuff to make it worthwhile

Personally, I think the areas in question would have been perfect, but obviously Verizon has some type of market research indicating otherwise.

By the time they lay all that fiber in cities, wireless technology should improve and make the fiber obsolete in densely populated areas.

By the time they lay all that fiber in cities, wireless technology should improve and make the fiber obsolete in densely populated areas.

I definitely think wireless is the way to go. The only problem is pricing. Current LTE pricing and data restrictions are pretty exorbitant when compared to wired access.

Back