• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Google Fiber

By the time they lay all that fiber in cities, wireless technology should improve and make the fiber obsolete in densely populated areas.

That is a lot of bandwidth for wireless to supply and carry at a reasonable price. I think that technology is at least 20 years away.

That is a lot of bandwidth for wireless to supply and carry at a reasonable price. I think that technology is at least 20 years away.

You probably know a lot more than I do, just seems like wireless is the direction things are going.

You probably know a lot more than I do, just seems like wireless is the direction things are going.

20 years is a stretch I think. Reliable, cheap and easily accessible real gigabit wireless is probably about 10 years away.

20 years is a stretch I think. Reliable, cheap and easily accessible real gigabit wireless is probably about 10 years away.

How long would it take to install a fiber infrastructure to support major metro areas? That was my point. Say it takes 5 years, you get 5 years of value from it before wireless takes over. Doesn't seem worth it.

How long would it take to install a fiber infrastructure to support major metro areas? That was my point. Say it takes 5 years, you get 5 years of value from it before wireless takes over. Doesn't seem worth it.

Wireless will have to do in cities where you can't install the infrastructure, I just don't think you would see the same speeds as a wired connection.

Wireless will have to do in cities where you can't install the infrastructure, I just don't think you would see the same speeds as a wired connection.

1080 HD pron really is an unrealistic expectation anyway.

No ESPN would suck, but otherwise that bundle looks $$$$. I love FiOS.

my sis lives in KC and I think they are gonna get it cause her husband is some kind of computer person and works remotely from home almost erry day.

We almost had Fiber in Raleigh. The town of Wilson has its own Fiber network (called Greenlight) and they were seeking to expand to Raleigh. Time Warner got their buddies in the state Legislature to pass a law that makes it virtually impossible for municipalities to compete against them. I hate Time Warner with a bleeding, white hot passion.

My parents live in Ohio and the town provides the electricity. Several years ago, the town sprung for a huge transmission upgrade, and layed fiber everywhere. Created their own ISP and cable companies. Undercut TWC by over 50%, so my mom and dad switched to the city service. Full cable, no digital stuff, no HBO type stuff, so like 65 channels, ended up costing like $22/month. TWC calls my dad and tries to sell cable at $20/month. So dad say sure, and then says if you can do it for $20 bucks you overcharged me for all those years. Asks for a refund. They still have city cable.

For the most part, these services are all delivered via hybrid fiber-coax networks. It may, in fact, be fiber to the hub site at the entrance to the neighborhood. It will likely be coaxial cable or twisted pair to the residence from there. The biggest single determining factor of network performance is always the last few feet.

If you get too far out, houses are too far apart and stuff to make it worthwhile[/

Fiber to the prem can make more sense in suburban areas than in cities. Copper is cheaper, no question. But signals have to be amplified every so many feet in a copper network, something you don't have to do with fiber. This adds to the cost (purchase, installation, and maintenance of the amplifiers) and degrades service (there is dB loss at every amplification). So when houses are farther apart, fiber can actually cost in and be cheaper over the long term.

My parents have fiber at their house. I very much miss it.

Since HBO is owned by Time Warner I assume it may take a while to carry it.

That was one of the holdouts that company that many parent's have used. It didn't affect us, but there were many unhappy that it took so long to get hbo.

The google fiber bunny was at my niece's school in KC giving out ice cream. Apparently the school also got HOOKED with silly internet

Back