• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grading Ron Wellman

Wellman quotes from a recent WRAL interview.

"In looking forward, we anticipate more progress. We anticipate progress in some of the key sports. ... The broad spectrum is one of enthusiasm and excitement about the future and competitiveness of our program."

Speaking of Basketball:

"The kids in the program and their goals and their behavior will be a sign that the program is moving in the right direction," Wellman said. "I think people will be able to see the attitude of the players. The coachability of the players will be very, very good. The talent level, I think, is going to be noticeable by our fan base, so I think our fan base this year will be able to watch that team and get excited about our future."

"The culture is what we want it to be now," he added. "A lot of the issues that were dealt with the last couple of years, hopefully we won't be dealing with those types of issues going forward and we'll be able to concentrate on what coaches want to concentrate on, which is coaching their team and getting them able to perform to the optimal level."

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/rs/story/11334582/

So nothing about, you know, actually winning games? Guess we'll have to keep waiting for that.

If it were up to me Ron Wellman's #1 priority would be to do whatever is possible to ensure the people who play sports at Wake Forest will make us proud they wear the school's name.

#2 would be to ensure they graduate and understand the importance of contributing to society in a positive manner.

#3 would be to win.

Wellman quotes from a recent WRAL interview.

"In looking forward, we anticipate more progress. We anticipate progress in some of the key sports. ... The broad spectrum is one of enthusiasm and excitement about the future and competitiveness of our program."

Speaking of Basketball:

"The kids in the program and their goals and their behavior will be a sign that the program is moving in the right direction," Wellman said. "I think people will be able to see the attitude of the players. The coachability of the players will be very, very good. The talent level, I think, is going to be noticeable by our fan base, so I think our fan base this year will be able to watch that team and get excited about our future."

"The culture is what we want it to be now," he added. "A lot of the issues that were dealt with the last couple of years, hopefully we won't be dealing with those types of issues going forward and we'll be able to concentrate on what coaches want to concentrate on, which is coaching their team and getting them able to perform to the optimal level."

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/rs/story/11334582/

Willis, I agree with what you are saying about athletes representing the school well; however, listing priorities in such a way seems to say that as long as we are doing #1 and 2 then we are doing things the right way and we should all be happy. I'm sorry, but graduating and becoming productive citizens is something that I expect out of any Wake Forest student. Every student admitted to the university should be going to class, making good grades, graduating, and hopefully representing the university well. That is what a student is supposed to do. Student-athletes, especially those on scholarship, in addition to being a good student, are also supposed to be competing with other student athletes in our conference, and for an ACC school, nationally.

Losing with integrity is no better than winning by cheating. Winning with integrity should be our goal. Wellman's WRAL quotes are laughable. To continue to spew this "culture" BS while we are literally playing the worst basketball in Wake Forest history just further shows how out of touch he is.

There are many facets to the AD job, but tanking your flagship program and coming off like an asshole while doing it offsets alot of other positive things he has done over the years. Being an above average student for most of the semester doesn't mean shit when you take a dump all over the final exam.

ETA: Okay, losing with integrity is obviously better than cheating, but certainly not something to build a program around.

Last edited:
For those who care, we did have a beat writer who only thought in negatives and did not mind writing that way once in the past. Ed Hardin covered WFU for the Greensboro Daily in the early 90's and I don't think he ever said anything positive about us the entire 1-1and1/2 years he covered us. You don't want to relive that episode.

Willis, I agree with what you are saying about athletes representing the school well; however, listing priorities in such a way seems to say that as long as we are doing #1 and 2 then we are doing things the right way and we should all be happy. I'm sorry, but graduating and becoming productive citizens is something that I expect out of any Wake Forest student. Every student admitted to the university should be going to class, making good grades, graduating, and hopefully representing the university well. That is what a student is supposed to do. Student-athletes, especially those on scholarship, in addition to being a good student, are also supposed to be competing with other student athletes in our conference, and for an ACC school, nationally.

Losing with integrity is no better than winning by cheating. Winning with integrity should be our goal. Wellman's WRAL quotes are laughable. To continue to spew this "culture" BS while we are literally playing the worst basketball in Wake Forest history just further shows how out of touch he is.

There are many facets to the AD job, but tanking your flagship program and coming off like an asshole while doing it offsets alot of other positive things he has done over the years. Being an above average student for most of the semester doesn't mean shit when you take a dump all over the final exam.

ETA: Okay, losing with integrity is obviously better than cheating, but certainly not something to build a program around.

Great post. There is no reason why the criteria that Willis listed should need to be ranked - they should all be expected. If Wellman is going to depart from this long-standing aim at WFU then we should just be honest about it and move to the CAA or the SoCon.

Does anyone honestly believe Wellman wants to build a program around losing with integrity?

What a ridiculous strawman.

We should just go ahead and let our basketball players wear pink searsucker suits and dirty bucks. Now THERE's a culture that would make MSD proud.

I am SO sick of this "culture" stuff. What does that really mean? We now have an exclusive "type" player? Yeah, we lose like nobody else, but hey! Our boys have manners and they're clean cut and they have white teeth and their socks are starched and pressed. Icky. I've had it with RW.

With the collapse of Wake basketball and the massive drop in director's cup standings, Wellman is probably going to be fired with or before Bzz. Let the next AD make the next basketball hire. Wake football also failed to capitalize on the OB and went through a multi year decline. I want a new AD, new basketball coach, and an awesome plan for buying/renovating the Joel.

Back