• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Greensboro/High Point Restaurant Recs

Agree

Table 16, in the location where undercurrent used to be, is usually quite good

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Always wondered about Table 16, but never been.

A couple of places we haven't been, but seem to always end up at Liberty Oak.

Several years ago, Table 16 was ridiculously good. The quality has gone down drastically recently. It is probably still in the top 5 restaurants in GSO but extremely overpriced for the level it has dropped to. I wish they would go back to what they were 3-4 years ago. Some of the best meals I ever had were there during that time.

I'll throw out Joshephines and Salvino's... on the chapter side, but still tasty possibly Sticks and Stones and Fishbones.

Also, Southern lights used to be my favorite restaurant, but it has kamikazed ever since they moved to the new location.

High Point side of Greensboro, and this is a no brainer:

http://josephinesbistro.com/

Not sure if they take reservations on busy nights, but I would call to see if they do. The place is not big, but it is awesome!

Second pick would be the Undercurrent.

I will second Josephine's, we ate there two weeks ago. Had some amazing mussels and a really great piece of fish.

Sorry to hear the bad feedback on Table 16 and Southern Lights. Honestly I haven't eaten at Table 16 in a long time, but have eaten at Southern Lights twice in the past 6 months and thought it was good both times.

This is a Winston-Salem restaurant, but we used to go to this neat little restaurant years ago...and I do mean years ago....that I've forgotten the name of. I'm thinking it was on Marshall Street, just down from the old Coca Cola plant, on the opposite side of the street. It wasn't very large, and they basically had two seatings...one around 6 PM, then another around 8 PM or so. It probably only seated about 60 people. They wrote the menu on a blackboard at the back. When we were going there you had to get there early to get on the list for the first seating, because it always filled up. We thought it was very good. We didn't go all that often, because it was 50 miles from us. Usually, we would go after an afternoon WF game.

As I said, this was a long time ago. Does anyone know the name of that restaurant...and is it still there?

Not ringing any bells. Which direction on Marshall? Towards Salem/UNCSA?

Towards Salem. It was only about 50 yards or so past that Coca Cola bottling plant. Maybe not that far. Not all that much traffic in the area. You could just park on the side of the street, usually, though I think there was a small parking area. It was just bugging me that I couldn't remember the name.

ETA: I just looked up the address for the Coke plant and it is 730 South Marshall. That restaurant might have been on the corner of South Marshall & West Street, if you look at a map of the area.

(I just looked at the "Bird's Eye" view of that area on Bing maps, and it looks like there was construction going on with about three buildings in the corner of those two streets....so I'm pretty sure that restaurant is long gone. I'd still love to know the name of it, though, if anyone can remember.)

Was it Leon's? I think that was the name of that place at least for a while. Then it changed to Marshall Street Smokehouse. But this was all around 2001 or so.

That's it! Leon's! It was in the 70s & 80s when I was there. We thought it was really good. Anyone else ever been there? I realize it was a long time ago.

(Thanks, Matt! It's a bummer to try to think of something like that and not be able to remember. You can't get it out of your mind.)

I went there for drinks a few times before they changed the name of it. I don't think I ever actually ate there though until after it changed to the Smokehouse.

I went there for drinks a few times before they changed the name of it. I don't think I ever actually ate there though until after it changed to the Smokehouse.
They had Jazz there on Sunday nights IIRC and we used to drink there a fair amount but I think it was later than 2001.

Anyone been to Imperial Koi in Greensboro? We're headed there Saturday night. HuskyDeac got us a gift certificate there for Christmas.

Anyone been to Imperial Koi in Greensboro? We're headed there Saturday night. HuskyDeac got us a gift certificate there for Christmas.

No but report back. We are having a hard time finding a chinese place that we really like in the Boro, even after being here over 10 years.

I've eaten at Green Valley Grille one time in my life....on my wife's birthday 12 years ago. I thought it was terrible.

Bob you are really off on this one, I have eaten there probably 100 times mainly for business and the food has always been excellent.

Back