• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Halloween 2012 documentation thread

Memo to self: Hang out at Townie's place.

It's silly. Her trainer friends are all legit too. Her field hockey friends...less so.

This thread is great.

Trying to take care of a kid with a fever and control a 75-pound dog who barks like crazy any time the doorbell rings was a struggle last night. It was our first Halloween in our new neighborhood and we had no idea what to expect. Neighbor said they get between 100-150 kids, so we were being pretty stringent with the candy at first.

My parents were over helping out, and one kid, probably around 4 or 5, grabs a handful, and my mom goes "Now, now, only 2 pieces each." The kid just looks at her, smiles, and turns around and walks away with about 6 pieces. Another kid just goes "I want a handful!" Should have let the dog loose on both of them.

We had maybe 30-40 kids. Saw a few cars parked on the street with South Carolina tags. WTF? You can't find a neighborhood to ravage between my house and the state line?

I feel like Halloween is much more organized now than when I was a kid. All these churches around here did "trunk or treats" where you go to a parking lot and trick or treat out of people's cars. The kids in my neighborhood all go around as one big group, so all the trick or treating is done in one swoop. When I was a kid, we just walked around going door to door.

I feel like Halloween is much more organized now than when I was a kid. All these churches around here did "trunk or treats" where you go to a parking lot and trick or treat out of people's cars. The kids in my neighborhood all go around as one big group, so all the trick or treating is done in one swoop. When I was a kid, we just walked around going door to door.

Trunk-or-treats are funny to me. You get more candy with less exercise. You know, like God intended. #Murica

Wife and I built a new place in August. We're surrounded by neighborhoods, but the lot that I bought is a 6 acre tract at the end of a street. The driveway is around 300 ft and pitch black after dark. Not a single person made the trek up the hill, despite my house being lit up like a god damned exploding hydrogen bomb.

I put a few lights along the driveway to encourage folks to come up, but I think the few that did pass through our neighborhood calculated that the effort/reward for going up the hill to my house wasn't worth it. We haven't had time to develop street cred. Little did they know I was giving out king sized candy bars.

I now have two boxes of random king sized candy bars. #timetogetfuckingfat

Consider buying a movable fire pit and camping out with candy and beer at the bottom of your driveway. Give candy to kids and beer to dads. You will quickly become the most popular dude in the cul de sac.

Consider buying a movable fire pit and camping out with candy and beer at the bottom of your driveway. Give candy to kids and beer to dads. You will quickly become the most popular dude in the cul de sac.

Damn it....you are a goddamned genius.

Close to downtown Raleigh. Follow the group of 25 near Glenwood South and eventually you'll end up at my house where you will be judged

Had I known this, I would have stumbled to your door on Saturday after the bar crawl ended. It doesn't even matter that I have no idea who you are.

My parents' church does the Trunk-or-Treat thing. It is quite popular. I think they do it more for the kids in the area that live in less than desirable neighborhoods to give them a "safe place" to go trick-or-treating after dark. I think they also do like moon bounce, face painting, etc, so it's not just tons of candy without much walking (although it for sure is that too).

I'm a bit disenchanted with Halloween in our neighborhood this year. LadyDeacToy and I went pumpkin picking a few weeks ago and got three awesome pumpkins (one white, one green, and one orange). We decorated them with sweet Mr. Potato-head type decorations and put them out. They were gone the next morning. We didn't see them smashed anywhere when we were out walking the dog, so my only hope is that some poor family in the neighborhood now has pumpkins to enjoy. Ugh.

580966_818862171553_459281622_n.jpg

247601_818862181533_850473322_n.jpg

229852_818862201493_1533760752_n.jpg

I wasn't even so mad about the pumpkins as I was about the decorations, which were $15 a pop and could be re-used from year to year.

So after being kind of bitter about that a week or so ago, we still got candy, glow-in-the-dark vampire fangs, and glow-in-the-dark temporary tattoos to hand out. My in-laws ended up coming into town unexpectedly since they live in NJ and lost power, so we ended up going out to dinner instead of passing out candy. We put everything on the porch with a note to take one of each, fulling knowing that there would be a kid or two that came by and some point and dumped everything in his/her bag. What we didn't expect was for them to take the effing pumpkin and Franekstein containers that the candy and fangs were in! Jerk kids.

Makes me want to go Halloween Scrooge next year.

We bought like $35 worth of candy, so the later teenagers were getting like 10 pieces each.

We scrooged it up this year. We waited until the sun started to go down and went to the gym.

Probably doesn't help that I despise children.

Wore a mask for the first time since I was probably in grade school last night. Let me know if the picture below isn't showing up. I can safely say we creeped the hell out of some people.

374918_4066217177919_562360191_n.jpg

Wore a mask for the first time since I was probably in grade school last night. Let me know if the picture below isn't showing up. I can safely say we creeped the hell out of some people.

WHAT. IS. THAT.

I made that exact move last night while the wife took our kid around, as our driveway is a pretty steep hill that most kids have been too lazy to walk up in past years. Only downside was that there is a parking lot towards the end of our culdesac for a neighborhood park, so similar to HP's experience, a bunch of highschoolers pulled in to loot the neighborhood and kept asking me for beer. None of the ladies were dressed sluttily enough to deserve one.

We've been doing this for years. A couple of families gather at the end of one driveway and set up tables where we put all of our candy. We then have beer for the adults - or, even better, hot cider that we can optionally add something stronger to... Most groups end up getting stuck at our place for a while as the kids whine to move on... "Hang on a sec, Junior, Daddy's talking - and stop hitting your sister with your sword/light saber/pitchfork/wand..."

Clearly a cross between the Village People, Eyes Wide Shut, A Clockwork Orange, and the Chris Farley Chippendales skit. I get it.

Back