• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hatch And Board Of Trustees

ACCOffice

Reaction score
Am I off track in thinking that the Wellman/Bz decision is a statement to Wake fans on the direction of Wake Forest athletics?

Can't believe that this decision is being made in a vacuum. Even Board members who don't have a lot of interest in athletics have to be hearing it from friends and donors who are pissed at the situation.

I know nothing, but it was my understanding that one or two prominent boosters/BOT type folks drove the football coaching change.

But if Bz stays it is a clear statement on Wake athletics. No one is going to be surprised by the reaction are they?

It will be a clear statement to me and my $2500 a year to the Deacon Club.

I know nothing, but it was my understanding that one or two prominent boosters/BOT type folks drove the football coaching change.

That is what I suspect as well. It may require that same kind of pressure to bring about a change in basketball.

But if Bz stays it is a clear statement on Wake athletics. No one is going to be surprised by the reaction are they?

nice attempt at a humble brag but thats not much money in the grand scheme.

I bet you drive a brand new BMW 320i

Why have you continued to give? I do not understand why people did this.

After the Buzz hire, his retention, and the statements and behavior of Ron Wellman, no one in their right mind in either President Hatch's office or the Board of Trustees would allow Wellman to act on his own in making a major hire or any major decision. I don't believe Wellman was on his own in making the Clawson hire - there were plenty of hints that Hatch and Buddie were heavily involved - and I don't believe that Wellman is on his own in dismissing Buzz and hiring a replacement for him. The university simply cannot afford to keep piling up poor publicity and losing fans and donors based on Ron Wellman's behavior. Wellman, it would appear, will be allowed to retire soon with some dignity but he will be on a short leash until he does. No other explanation makes any sense at all. The people running Wake Forest University are not stupid but they have allowed way too much independence to Ron Wellman, and they now have to take it back. Otherwise, they will face a storm of controversy, one which they could not possibly want.

Unless there has been a huge combined effort to misinform a lot of people in the know Bz is gone. We need not get riled up. We didn't accept the CBI, the players are basically speaking of him in the past tense, and all informed insiders tell us (in have had a few in the know tell me on the phone) that the decision was made a couple of months ago.

Bz is gone. Relax.

Back