• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Have you been paying attention to the last decade of Men's Basketball?

A different year but losing to Liberty was close to the final nail in Steve Alford's coffin at UCLA. Just sayin'.

We still have football season.

Things I never thought I’d say as a Wake fan.

Wrapping up a bowl game before hoops season starts is a nice luxury for our fanbase. Getting into the CFP rankings before hoops season starts would be incredible.

Some of you guys never cease to amaze me.

I know the last few years haven’t been exactly great, but we haven’t even played the first game yet.

Little early on the complaining, don’t you think?

This thread isn’t about the next game. It’s about the last decade of games. Go ahead and start a BC game thread if that’s what you want to talk about.

I know the last few years haven’t been exactly great, but we haven’t even played the first game yet.

What exactly do you think is going to happen this year? We lost the best player from Manning's worst team so far and replaced him with a transfer from UNCC. This team will need to overachieve just to be as good as the team that got [Redacted] fired.

What exactly do you think is going to happen this year? We lost the best player from Manning's worst team so far and replaced him with a transfer from UNCC. This team will need to overachieve just to be as good as the team that got [Redacted] fired.

Not to mention this is the worst collection of big men that I can ever recall at Wake.

Sarr would get 10 minutes a game on a quality team. The rest of the "bigs"are in the wrong conference.

A good coach would struggle with this team.

Probably not? We’re not picked in NIT range from any publications preseason and lost the “best” player we had from last year who didn’t even get drafted.

Only at Wake could a storied program be razed to the ground and then a giant hole dug where the program once stood and someone would be talking about how nicely this new hole is taking shape.

your boards name is appropriate

Not to mention this is the worst collection of big men that I can ever recall at Wake.

Sarr would get 10 minutes a game on a quality team. The rest of the "bigs"are in the wrong conference.

A good coach would struggle with this team.

Wake consistently had quality big men for pretty much my whole life until now. Not everyone was a Duncan or Songalia or Collins but plenty of guys like Owens, Big E, and Thomas who could be counted on to get points and rebounds.

Last edited:
I have simultaneously paid complete attention and blocked half of it out.

WTF have you been? "haven't been exactly great?" DM giving Wake our third of ACC's worst 5 coaches ever.

Well, just maybe, if some people hadn’t created such a spectacle with Coach [Redacted], then we may have been in a better position a year or so later in getting a better coach. Lessons learned from that. If Manning doesn’t turn things around by the end of the next season, I imagine we’ll move on and can hopefully get an up and coming younger coach.

Until then, we just have to support the kids on the team.

This thread isn’t about the next game. It’s about the last decade of games. Go ahead and start a BC game thread if that’s what you want to talk about.

Well some of the negative attitudes of the past nine years are looking like they’re carrying over to the next game. It’s like an endless cycle every year lately.

Only at Wake could a storied program be razed to the ground and then a giant hole dug where the program once stood and someone would be talking about how nicely this new hole is taking shape.

I’m not saying there’s not a problem. Of course there is. The question is, do you want to make it worse or at least slightly better? Not supporting the team is not going to make the issues any better.

Well, just maybe, if some people hadn’t created such a spectacle with Coach [Redacted], then we may have been in a better position a year or so later in getting a better coach. Lessons learned from that. If Manning doesn’t turn things around by the end of the next season, I imagine we’ll move on and can hopefully get an up and coming younger coach.

Until then, we just have to support the kids on the team.

Lol. Boomer gonna boom. Safe to assume that you're a culture club Wellman fluffer as well?

There are excusable levels of dumb (your first post), but you're taking it to another level all together by trying to blame this on the fans. There's no other Top 25 basketball program in the nation whose fanbase would have remained this calm in light of the way our AD burned everything to the ground with a smug grin.

Last edited:
Lol. Boomer gonna boom. Safe to assume that you're a culture club Wellman fluffer as well?

There are excusable levels of dumb (your first post), but you're taking it to another level all together by trying to blame this on the fans. There's no other Top 25 basketball program in the nation whose fanbase would have remained this calm in light of the way our AD burned everything to the ground with a smug grin.

That AD brought us light years from where we were when I was at Wake. Facilities, expansions, donations, the football success of mid 00’s, and the basketball success of the 90’s all under Mr Wellman. I get it. The last few years of basketball haven’t been exactly stellar in comparison, but you can’t forget all of the other things as well.

I’m not saying there’s not a problem. Of course there is. The question is, do you want to make it worse or at least slightly better? Not supporting the team is not going to make the issues any better.
Actually, not supporting the team is exactly how we make change happen. An empty Joel speaks louder than any commentary given to the Deacon Club.

Back