• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hinton

For clarification, this isn't an actual redshirt. This would just give Hinton the option to apply for a 5th season in two years. Next year, he'll be a junior.

So really the staff could hold Hinton out until the BC game and use him if needed. He would just not get a 5th year. Hard to see Hinton playing a whole year w/o getting hurt. He reminds me of RGIII. So DC was really just saying we are going to keep our options open. I would think that if Hinton does not play in the next three games and we need a win against BC he would play if able

There are two ways to redshirt in an NCAA Sport:

- Standard: Only available to those players who have not played at all during a season (not even a single play). Most frequently used by freshman football players. A player intending to redshirt, loses his/her redshirt status if he plays any part of any game.
- Injury Waiver: The player suffers an injury, AND has played in less than 30% of his/her team's games AND none of the games where the injured player participated occurred after the midpoint of the season.

So, Clawson can play anyone he wants at any time, but if the player suffers no injury, he will lose his/her redshirt if he/she participates in any game regardless of how limited his/her participation was. In Hinton's case, if he does not play again this year, he will be eligible to seek a injury waiver to have this season not count as one of his 4 eligible seasons because: a) he will have played in less than 30% of the WF's games, and b) he was injured. Unlike the standard redshirt, granting the redshirt injury waiver is not an automatic, WF must submit a injury waiver request to the NCAA, and the NCAA must grant it (to prevent schools from falsely claiming injury).

Hinton or any other player intending to redshirt who plays in any of WF's remaining games this season will automatically lose his/her redshirt status because they will play in a game after the midpoint of the season.

Last edited:
FWIW, a player from the 2006 team told me last weekend that Hinton's PCL was badly torn, and the injury has been worse than the coaches have been letting on. Not sure why DC would minimize the injury, rather than clearly state that Wolford is "the guy".

FWIW, a player from the 2006 team told me last weekend that Hinton's PCL was badly torn, and the injury has been worse than the coaches have been letting on. Not sure why DC would minimize the injury, rather than clearly state that Wolford is "the guy".

That would make no sense. Can't imagine he's back practicing at all, if it's badly torn.

That would make no sense. Can't imagine he's back practicing at all, if it's badly torn.

Agreed. Putting Hinton on the depth chart with no intention to play him was a strange move. You don't trick an opponent by teasing the better player and putting the less talented player on the field.

If Hinton is positioned for medical hardship Kearns will play probably against UL or Clemson. There's no way Wolford goes the distance without Kearns playing some ball. Hopefully it will be meaningful minutes.

Great way to boost confidence.

Agreed. Putting Hinton on the depth chart with no intention to play him was a strange move. You don't trick an opponent by teasing the better player and putting the less talented player on the field.

Apparently Hinton had to leave yesterday's practice due to "tweaking" his knee, so there may have been more hope that he would play before Wed AM practice.

Apparently Hinton had to leave yesterday's practice due to "tweaking" his knee, so there may have been more hope that he would play before Wed AM practice.

Well that should remove all doubt then if true. Hinton redshirting and we're riding Wolford the rest of the way if he stays upright.

Duke's season was greatly altered after Sirk went down for last time, IMO.

Put Wolford on a short leash vs. UVA and then when he messes up throw Kearns in there. Screw it.

Put Wolford on a short leash vs. UVA and then when he messes up throw Kearns in there. Screw it.

Agreed. Enough is enough.

I don't think Kearns is "the answer", but just basing off his HS success and highlights, the kid isn't inept. In fact, when you compare HS tapes, it's pretty obvious that he is the better passer, while Wolford is the better athlete/scrambler/runner. Some people are "gamers" and thrive on the big stage. How do we know Kearns isn't one of those guys?

Agreed. Enough is enough.

I don't think Kearns is "the answer", but just basing off his HS success and highlights, the kid isn't inept. In fact, when you compare HS tapes, it's pretty obvious that he is the better passer, while Wolford is the better athlete/scrambler/runner. Some people are "gamers" and thrive on the big stage. How do we know Kearns isn't one of those guys?

'Member Mauk vs Randolph while Zac Taylor was buried on the bench?

Everyone loves the backup QB.

The staff understands the importance of the game on Saturday. If Clawson thought that Kearns gave WF a better chance to win, he would play.

No question that Wolford has flaws, but he also played well enough for WF to win at Indiana and against Cuse (he also played a decent game at FSU; and he played well as he always does against FCS opponents). Also, as hard as it was to watch the offensive struggles against Army, if Scottie Washington doesn't play hot potato with a TD reception, WF is 6-2 right now.

Wolford has shown he has the ability to play well, so we still have a shot to pick up a couple more wins. When he plays like he did last week, he needs to run it and not throw. He had many opportunities last week to run for good gains, but passed on those opportunities.

Clawson played Wolford while he had Hinton, the better QB, as his back up. Kearns very well could be better than Wolford but we won't know until we see him play meaningful minutes in a game. Kearns not playing has much more to do with knowledge of the playbook and taking out the read option than his talent level as a QB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clawson played Wolford while he had Hinton, the better QB, as his back up. Kearns very well could be better than Wolford but we won't know until we see him play meaningful minutes in a game. Kearns not playing has much more to do with knowledge of the playbook and taking out the read option than his talent level as a QB.

Yeah but both of those are part of being a QB at this level. Kearns obviously has not impressed the coaches with his ability to be productive or he would be playing and none of us know the reasons for this decision, but I am sure there is a good one

I'm sure similar things were said about Skinner and why he didn't play over Mauk/Hodges

Wolford has shown he has the ability to play well, so we still have a shot to pick up a couple more wins. When he plays like he did last week, he needs to run it and not throw. He had many opportunities last week to run for good gains, but passed on those opportunities.

Wolford is what he is at this point in his 3rd year. He's a below average to average D1 QB. That's not a knock on him at all. He just doesn't have the size or talent that it takes to be a consistent QB. I will say he has the biggest heart on the team FWIW. The Army loss was 100 percent on Clawson. That was just an embarrassing game plan throughout. Probably his worst coaching performance since he's been here. I'll never understand what compelled us to air it out 45 times and only run 23 times despite averaging 5.3 yards a carry. Totally moronic. Oh well, on to the next game

Ridiculous. What is it? Advanced physics. He knows the playbook. Or he is dumb as a rock.

Back