• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Iona at Wake - 8:30 ESPN3

Nobody is calling for Manning to be fired. We are venting. I'm pro manning. I expect him to bring us back to the top half of acc standings. This is just a tough one to swallow. Every single fan watching the game knows that we are out of timeouts. Every single one of us knows that if you call a timeout when you are out of them it results in a technical foul. It is black and white. Kids make mistakes. Coaches are paid a ton of money and make mistakes, but I cannot imagine this ever happening at the d1 level.

You really need to chill out. If that's the worse that happens this, we've had a good year.

I hope you don't expect us to sniff (much finish in ) the top half of the ACC this year. If so put the bong down.

Ok I've calmed down now. I took my pills. But, I'd be very interested to know what hall of Fame coaches have done this. In fact, I'd be interested to know about any D1 head coaches making this mistake.

Get a fucking grip.....

Should Phil Jackson have been questioned in 2001 when his Lakers lost to the 17 win Warriors. That was pretty stupid.

ITT: people who have never made mistakes before

So, let me get this straight. Manning watches ESPN while coaching games and thus ESPN caused this entire fiasco?

I'm a little lost on this logic.

You are not following. I corrected another posters point that ESPN was wrong. ESPN was correct at the time of the technical. Someone also inferred that if ESPN was wrong the Joel could be wrong.

You really need to chill out. If that's the worse that happens this, we've had a good year.

I hope you don't expect us to sniff (much finish in ) the top half of the ACC this year. If so put the bong down.

Did I say this year? No. I think we are lucky to win 5 acc games this year. Manning is doing a good job recruiting and I think he can be the guy to get us back to relevancy, eventually.

No. This is different. This is a black and white mistake that turned what could have been a one possession game into a two possession game at a point in the game when momentum was swinging our way and we could not afford giving Iona an extra two free throws. As a fan, I want to see us with the ball in our hands with a chance to tie the game on the last possession. A brain fart by the coach took that away from me. That pisses me off.

I am not questioning Manning's ability to call plays, teach defense, recruit, etc. What bothers me is that this mistake should never be made, period. These kind of mistakes get under my skin and (in my personal opinion) takes DM down a notch in my book. You don't think this means anything at all? Fine. It worries me. Leave me to my opinion and I'll leave you with yours.

Ok I'm done with this. So unless someone resorts to insulting me again, I will put this to rest.

Last edited:
This team is not very good. In fact, it's awful. This team, like the football team, is the manifestation of what inevitably results when four or five years of completely inadequate recruiting comes home to roost. The blame for this lies squarely at the feet of one Ron Wellman, the man who destroyed both of our revenue sports.

It may be a while, folks.

some of you are crushing DM on here and rightly so but he admitted that he made a huge mistake - which i give him a ton of credit for doing. Yes it was crucial but that mistake is not what cost us the game.

one thing that hasn't been discussed is free throw shooting down the stretch.

Devin 0-2
Codi - misses front end of 1-1
Dinos 1-2
McClinton 1-2

- all of those in the last 6 minutes of the game. 6 points left on the line at "winning time"

Ok I've calmed down now. I took my pills. But, I'd be very interested to know what hall of Fame coaches have done this. In fact, I'd be interested to know about any D1 head coaches making this mistake.

My point on the hall of fame coaches thing is that at some point in their careers I would guess that at least one big name coach has made this mistake.

As for other D1 coaches, Clemson's coach Brownell did it last night and they legitimately lost the game directly because of it.

http://mobile.sportingnews.com/arti...meout-gardner-webb-chris-webber-brad-brownell

Not the best example since I want Manning to be better than Brownell but my point is that it is not unheard of to have a coach do this in a game so we should try not to act like this is the unpardonable sin and that DM has reached a point of no return.

I'm obviously making some sweeping generalizations and everyone gets fired up immediately after games. We all want us to be good again and I hope/think that Coach Manning can take us there.

Last edited:
How many times have we played Iona? Is it possible we now have a losing record against them? Jesus.

No further comment. I know the program is still on the comeback trail, but this was an abomination on multiple levels.

I know that Manning must be blamed for the TO; but it is actually an assistant's responsibility.

This. Definitely not on Manning. Completely his assistants responsibility. As crazy as it sounds, it is very difficult for a coach to keep up with the timeout situation. The HC has more important things to focus on.

How many times have we played Iona? Is it possible we now have a losing record against them? Jesus.

No further comment. I know the program is still on the comeback trail, but this was an abomination on multiple levels.

We're 0-2, last night and the beat down in Bahamas.

Back