• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Iona at Wake - 8:30 ESPN3

How many times have we played Iona? Is it possible we now have a losing record against them? Jesus.

No further comment. I know the program is still on the comeback trail, but this was an abomination on multiple levels.

Iona is not a bad program. They lost some people from last year but when they shoot 3s like they did last night, they could knock off anyone. Our perimeter d is another story

They hit 13 3's because we did not guard them. That defensive performance was an absolute disgrace. Don't sugar coat it. This is a dark day. We desperately want to believe we are better, but we didn't play with the effort necessary to compete tonight. We know we can't shoot, but not competing on the defensive end is something DM has vowed to end. It has not ended. Very discouraging. Iona could not beat WOFFORD.

This guy has to be a parody, right? There can't possibly this many morons with 8xdeac as their handle.

This. Definitely not on Manning. Completely his assistants responsibility. As crazy as it sounds, it is very difficult for a coach to keep up with the timeout situation. The HC has more important things to focus on.

You hear that it's the assistants' responsibility to keep up with the timeouts, but to me that's like saying it's the assistants' responsibility to keep up with the time and score. Timeouts are on the scoreboard. Anybody can look and keep up with it.

You hear that it's the assistants' responsibility to keep up with the timeouts, but to me that's like saying it's the assistants' responsibility to keep up with the time and score. Timeouts are on the scoreboard. Anybody can look and keep up with it.

Except the assistants actually have a sheet of paper and cross off the timeouts as they are called so it's not anything like that since apparently the scoreboard was wrong.

Which does remind me of the time when Lobo on 4th and an inch ran a shotgun draw at GT and Grobe said what the hell were you thinking it was one inch and lobo said no it was one yard and grobe said are you serious it was an inch and lobo said well the scoreboard said 4th and 1 apparently not realizing that was the shortest distance it could show.

There's no way that Lobo story can be true. No way. That's implying he has never watched or played football before and doesn't know basic measurements.

Anybody on the bench should be able to look up at the scoreboard and get correct information about the time, score, and timeouts. I'll only get mad at the assistants if the scoreboard was right. They shouldn't have to worry about the accuracy of such basic information.

As a former college assistant, it is ENTIRELY on the assistants to keep the HC apprised of the the timeout situation. An assigned asst or multiple assts should be constantly in his ear about timeouts, player fouls, total fouls, etc. Almost inexplicable how that happened last night. The only way it is on Manning is if he just had a complete mental lapse, which is possible, I guess.

Was Overton hurt? He didn't play against a packed zone?? Must be hurt or in the doghouse. And Rondale must not be Delaney Rudd yet.

Last edited:
I'm not going to overemphasize the tech due to the TO. In a lost season like this one projects to be, I simply look for glimmers of hope, like reducing the deficit last night.

I also look for developing trends that are cause for concern. In the preseason, the phrase Coach Manning used frequently that resonated the most with me was "attention to detail" (see http://raycomsports.com/sports_labs_docs/m-baskbl/14MBBday-coach-WF.pdf for an example). Certainly calling a TO you don't have is an example of not paying attention to detail. I'm definitely not going to berate him for this one instance, but it is "strike one" for assessing assiduousness.

People keep asking about why Overton didn't play. I'm assuming none of those people watched the Arkansas game.

Loved the starting lineup shake up.

Was Iverton hurt? He didn't play against a packed zone?? Must be hurt or in the doghouse. And Rondale must not be Delaney Rudd yet.

That would be a heck of a nickname if he was a chucker.

This. Definitely not on Manning. Completely his assistants responsibility. As crazy as it sounds, it is very difficult for a coach to keep up with the timeout situation. The HC has more important things to focus on.

Well then, I think Manning should have blamed it on his assistant after the game. :)

This guy has to be a parody, right? There can't possibly this many morons with 8xdeac as their handle.

Not to mention they actually missed most of the open threes they took and jarred the ones that were contested from 23 feet.

Also Wake opened as a one point favorite at home which indicates both teams were pretty evenly matched and a loss could be expected roughly 45% of the time or so. Similarly it blows my mind that so many people could think we were awful last year (we were) and then suddenly expect to be 100% better with mostly the same players. It's a process. Manning has us on the right track and it's clear IMO.

Overton might have helped against the zone. He is the best outside shooter we have. Nobody outside of Devin played well at Arkansas.

I'm wondering how much of last night's PT distribution can be chalked up to guys who can or can't hack playing four games in eight days plus travel.

Well then, I think Manning should have blamed it on his assistant after the game. :)

I guarantee you the post game coaches meeting was not pleasant. It is always one of the AC's jobs to inform the coach of the timeout situation.

Not to mention they actually missed most of the open threes they took and jarred the ones that were contested from 23 feet.

Also Wake opened as a one point favorite at home which indicates both teams were pretty evenly matched and a loss could be expected roughly 45% of the time or so. Similarly it blows my mind that so many people could think we were awful last year (we were) and then suddenly expect to be 100% better with mostly the same players. It's a process. Manning has us on the right track and it's clear IMO.

We brought no one in who could replace the scoring of Travis and Coron and barely replaced Cav/Moto scoring. We are at a net negative in three point shooting and experience.

Add to that, the ACC is stronger and it's virtually impossible to believe we'll beat Duke or UNC. Thus, it's totally irrational to think our record will even approach last year's mark.

Posters need to deal with reality.

I'm not freaking out about this. Didn't think we'd be good this year and still am hopeful that Manning will get the most out of this team. Unfortunately, we don't have enough shooters.

Back