• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is ISIS now varsity?

Your theory is that a hospital was intentionally and consciously targeted? For what purpose?

Because the Afghan Gov't didn't like that the hospital also treated Taliban fighters. So they called it in and the US bombed it without double checking exactly what it was.

At least that's the conspiracy theory

Because the Afghan Gov't didn't like that the hospital also treated Taliban fighters. So they called it in and the US bombed it without double checking exactly what it was.

At least that's the conspiracy theory

We treat Taliban fighters. Too late to blame it on a Youtube video? I hear that works in a pinch...

But as a pragmatist, JH, knowing that these are the tactics that are being used and knowing that ISIS and their ilk are not an immediate threat to United States safety, how do you justify the continued military involvement in the Middle East?

Have to disagree that ISIS and their ilk are not an immediate threat to our safety. Don't think our national security people think that--at least I sure hope they don't.

Haha - my theory?

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/10/2...led-by-units-new-to-kunduz.html?_r=0&referer=

"...But no evidence has yet emerged that the Afghan troops who called in the strike were under fire from the hospital, said the senior Afghan security official, who works closely with American forces."

http://news.yahoo.com/afghan-defense-minister-says-taliban-hid-bombed-hospital-092336280.html

"...American special operations analysts were scrutinizing the MSF hospital days before it was destroyed because they believed it was being used by a Pakistani operative to coordinate Taliban activity, officials have told the AP. The analysts knew it was a medical facility, according to a former intelligence official who is familiar with some of the documents describing the site.

It's unclear whether that information ever got to commanders who ordered the deadly airstrike."

http://www.catholic.org/news/international/middle_east/story.php?id=64717

"...At no more than eleven minutes following the first bombing, the report said an MSF official called the top U.S. military headquarters in Afghanistan to say the hospital had been hit, but the airstrike continued. One minute later, MSF called the International Committee of the Red Cross and two minutes after that MSF called a Defense Department official in Washington and a United Nations liaison in Afghanistan, but still the airstrikes persisted..."

Just because it was a mistake doesn't mean that it wasn't done intentionally.

Haha - my theory?

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/10/2...led-by-units-new-to-kunduz.html?_r=0&referer=

"...But no evidence has yet emerged that the Afghan troops who called in the strike were under fire from the hospital, said the senior Afghan security official, who works closely with American forces."

http://news.yahoo.com/afghan-defense-minister-says-taliban-hid-bombed-hospital-092336280.html

"...American special operations analysts were scrutinizing the MSF hospital days before it was destroyed because they believed it was being used by a Pakistani operative to coordinate Taliban activity, officials have told the AP. The analysts knew it was a medical facility, according to a former intelligence official who is familiar with some of the documents describing the site.

It's unclear whether that information ever got to commanders who ordered the deadly airstrike."

http://www.catholic.org/news/international/middle_east/story.php?id=64717

"...At no more than eleven minutes following the first bombing, the report said an MSF official called the top U.S. military headquarters in Afghanistan to say the hospital had been hit, but the airstrike continued. One minute later, MSF called the International Committee of the Red Cross and two minutes after that MSF called a Defense Department official in Washington and a United Nations liaison in Afghanistan, but still the airstrikes persisted..."

So because information---in War---didn't travel up and down a chain of command to the battle space in two minutes, you conclude intent? Thanks for that contribution.

and you seem to believe that the Afghani government can order US airstrikes as easily as ordering Domino's.
30 minutes or its free?

Did I? Go back and read my post on this thread where I argued against disentangling our interests there as aggressively as possible. [edited to correct reference].

You did say to disentangle, but you're also justifying current actions. Seems to be some cognitive dissonance there.

You did say to disentangle, but you're also justifying current actions. Seems to be some cognitive dissonance there.

Contextualizing to avoid gross and self-serving distortions is not the same thing as "Justifying". I don't want a single American life wasted in this rock pile. They've got to sort out their own mess, and short of genocide or imminent threat, I wish them both the best in their attempts to destroy each other. Neither the Crazy, Violent Sunni nor the Crazy, Violent Shi'ia will be missed. I would like to make their craziness as irrelevant, and unfunded, as possible.

You can want that and still not be forced to suffer demonstrable foolishness in silence.

He's not justifying current actions, he's saying that our bombing of the DWB Hospital in Kunduz doesnt count as a military action because it was an "accident", as if the Green Berets and guys flying this:

600px-AC-130H_Spectre_jettisons_flares.jpg

just typed in the wrong address in google maps when they fired on it for, let me repeat, over an hour.

A mistake is leaving the house without your wallet. We need to come up with another word for shit like that.

He's not justifying current actions, he's saying that our bombing of the DWB Hospital in Kunduz doesnt count as a military action because it was an "accident", as if the Green Berets and guys flying this:

600px-AC-130H_Spectre_jettisons_flares.jpg

just typed in the wrong address in google maps when they fired on it for, let me repeat, over an hour.

Those are signal flares, champ. Please proceed with more expertise.

You don't recall me posting 3 seperate links with quotes about motive (Afghan Govt. requested strikes despite no danger from Taliban fighters, US bombs despite receiving GPS coordinates of neutral hospital) 10 posts back on this very thread? That's impressive.

You don't recall me posting 3 seperate links with quotes about motive (Afghan Govt. requested strikes despite no danger from Taliban fighters, US bombs despite receiving GPS coordinates of neutral hospital) 10 posts back on this very thread? That's impressive.

You're conflating the Afghan government's motives with those of the United States? You don't see any daylight between these two sovereigns? Just answer my question, or admit that your theory is missing a few important pillars.

Whose AC-130 was it? Whose military was giving the orders, flying the plane, pulling the triggers? If the Afghanistan government asked you to jump off a cliff, would you do it? It was a conversation about Iranians killing on behalf of Iraqi insurgents that got us here in the first place.

We destroyed that hospital for military purposes, and we massacred the people who fled the hospital as it was being destroyed. It was no clerical error, it was no electronic malfunction. Your search for some conspiracy theory strawman is a sad attempt to deny our culpability.

Yeah I never understood this. Why would Jesus only be able to return to Israel? I mean, he's Jesus. Wouldn't God know the blood of innocents that would have to spill to protect Israel all these years and give Jesus a little wiggle room on the whole returning thing? What is the gain for it being Israel over, say, Idaho or Winston-Salem? They're all just pieces of dirt.

Are you questioning why God or Jesus would do something, or if they really exist?

Back