• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Israel Attacked and its Response

Ball State Deac

Reaction score
Edited the title to reflect the recent events. Obviously, there is reason to care about an attack. The initial post was about why Israel is considered to be such a critical ally by many US politicians generally.

Old post:

With all this huff over Hagel, can someone explain to me why we care so much about Israel? They are allies, yes, but so is Canada. You don't see a bunch of bumper stickers that say "I Stand with America's Hat" in support of our friendly neighbors to the north.

Crap... Misspelled Israel in the thread title. How do you edit these things?

Last edited:
Edit, then advanced

Israel has been buffer in the region for over half a century. First they kept the USSR out. Now they give us lots of intel about the Arab nations.

We give a fuck, because without them, we'd have to be far more involved.

we give a fuck because American Jews have political clout and American politicians need them to win elections.

we also give a fuck because Christians are obligated to defend Israel and keep her alive so that Jesus Christ can return and take them to Heaven.

Edit, then advanced

Israel has been buffer in the region for over half a century. First they kept the USSR out. Now they give us lots of intel about the Arab nations.

We give a fuck, because without them, we'd have to be far more involved.

quite the oxymoron, because without them tensions in the region would be greatly reduced.

we give a fuck because American Jews have political clout and American politicians need them to win elections.

we also give a fuck because Christians are obligated to defend Israel and keep her alive so that Jesus Christ can return and take them to Heaven.

In the public sense, I think this is why Israel is such a hot button issue and pops up in debates and on bumper stickers. My parents know dick about foreign policy, but are all about protecting Israel because of their religion. That's why your average American cares, not for the legitimate national defense reasons.

That brings up something I hadn't really thought about. The bolded logic isn't new although Israel is relatively new. So why did it take so long for the US to get involved against Nazis during the Holocaust?

That brings up something I hadn't really thought about. The bolded logic isn't new although Israel is relatively new. So why did it take so long for the US to get involved against Nazis during the Holocaust?

germans aren't brown

I don't know, but US involvement in the creation of Israel after the war was a direct result of Truman needing to win New York.

If we stop supporting Israel, shortly thereafter a major war will occur. Oil prices will explode and a bigger war will happen.

There is quite a bit of historical dispute on this point, but the general consensus is that although everyone knew Adolf hated Jews, nobody really had a clue as to the scale of the atrocities until mid-1944, and the complete scale of the horror was not truly known until the Soviets liberated Auschwitz I believe in late 1944/early 1945. Remember that the death camps were mostly in Poland, far behind enemy lines, there were no satellites, little on the ground intel, and most of Poland was out of range of recon planes which were needed for other duties anyway.

Also remember that in 1939, anti-Semitism was acceptable in polite society in America. There were plenty of people in high positions in the US in 1939 who thought Hitler was on the right track. The British thought of the Zionists in Palestine as a bunch of terrorists and trouble makers who were stirring up the Arabs that the British had been allied with for many years.

If we stop supporting Israel, shortly thereafter a major war will occur. Oil prices will explode and a bigger war will happen.

this would cost the US hundreds of billions of jobs, and blame would fall solely at the feet of george w bush

And we'd have to lay off teachers and first responders. Or did I reach too far into the knee-jerk responses to things RJK doesn't want to happen.

We could still ally with them in a major war without 'supporting them' the way we do right now.

There is quite a bit of historical dispute on this point, but the general consensus is that although everyone knew Adolf hated Jews, nobody really had a clue as to the scale of the atrocities until mid-1944, and the complete scale of the horror was not truly known until the Soviets liberated Auschwitz I believe in late 1944/early 1945. Remember that the death camps were mostly in Poland, far behind enemy lines, there were no satellites, little on the ground intel, and most of Poland was out of range of recon planes which were needed for other duties anyway.

Also remember that in 1939, anti-Semitism was acceptable in polite society in America. There were plenty of people in high positions in the US in 1939 who thought Hitler was on the right track. The British thought of the Zionists in Palestine as a bunch of terrorists and trouble makers who were stirring up the Arabs that the British had been allied with for many years.

Good point. And this shows that the Christian pro-Israel stance much more political than religious.

It is astounding to me that a lot of people still believe all that biblical shit about the nation of Israel, and its restoration prior to the coming "rapture". Of course, most fundementalists are also quick to point out that the Jews are not invited to God's big party at the end time.

Bake raises another question: how extensive is out support. Also, republicans, with Hagel and Obama running the show, Israel is finished, right?

Back