• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Israel Attacked and its Response

I mean would a labor strike work I after being ignored for 10 days you returned to working?
The point of a hunger strike is to draw attention to a cause. The point of a labor strike is to affect the economics of the employer in order to get a better negotiated labor deal.

They aren't really comparable things. And since we are sitting here talking about the Princeton hunger strike, tough to say that it's been completely ineffective at getting attention so far.

I have my doubts about the efficacy of non-violent protest in a time where culture has become so completely atomized that targets of protest can’t be shamed. Perhaps suffering and potential martrydom could rally others to your cause, but otherwise its really only self harming to no benefit.

I have my doubts about the efficacy of non-violent protest in a time where culture has become so completely atomized that targets of protest can’t be shamed. Perhaps suffering and potential martrydom could rally others to your cause, but otherwise its really only self harming to no benefit.
kinda like posting on the tunnels

I agree. But it’s still virtuous.

How do you think "culture has become...atomized"?

I feel like it's exactly the opposite, that we're left to deal with monolithic, binary choices and there's little nuance to be had, however much it's needed or desired, in discourse and debate

There's no common culture; therefore, society lacks accountability to people outside your own interest group. There is an entire media disinformation ecosystem designed to help people feel good about directly or indirectly harming others by creating a welcoming in-group. That's always existed in some ways through politics and religion, but people can stay in those subcultures 24/7 now and continually reaffirm their beliefs.

How do you think "culture has become...atomized"?
Because the constant personalized social media and news feeds have made it so that everyone has their own individual bubbles of interests and biases, with very little connection to their neighbors and local communities. In my experience and interpretation, the average person now is far more likely to be informed by a national or even global cultural consensus than by anything remotely local to them.

There's no common culture; therefore, society lacks accountability to people outside your own interest group. There is an entire media disinformation ecosystem designed to help people feel good about directly or indirectly harming others by creating a welcoming in-group. That's always existed in some ways through politics and religion, but people can stay in those subcultures 24/7 now and continually reaffirm their beliefs.
I don't wholly disagree with this, but I feel like that media ecosystem is designed to reduce to a facile talking point the complexity and morality of any individual event or idea

Basically, you see a person in your town on a hunger strike and feel completely disconnected from them because you have a voice in your head constantly telling you that anyone who believes or acts like that is foreign to you.

Because the constant personalized social media and news feeds have made it so that everyone has their own individual bubbles of interests and biases, with very little connection to their neighbors and local communities. In my experience and interpretation, the average person now is far more likely to be informed by a national or even global cultural consensus than by anything remotely local to them.
Wait, yes, that's what I think too but I would not at all describe that as "atomized". It's the opposite: "a national or global cultural consensus"!

(Do you know "The Filter Bubble" -- haven't read it in like fifteen years, but it theorized a similar argument about pre-2016 internet culture)

Basically, you see a person in your town on a hunger strike and feel completely disconnected from them because you have a voice in your head constantly telling you that anyone who believes or acts like that is foreign to you.
Right, so I think we agree on everything except for the meaning of the word atomized.

Unless you're thinking of the individual "filter bubbles" as offering each person a unique opportunity to see their worldview as being predominant, but I don't think you are

I don't wholly disagree with this, but I feel like that media ecosystem is designed to reduce to a facile talking point the complexity and morality of any individual event or idea
Sure. That's part of the whole problem.

why is it designed like that
Good question, probably which you're more qualified to answer.

My guess is that it's more lucrative in terms of advertising interest, informal kickbacks, and viewer-/readership to have everyone on more or less the same page. Complexity and nuance aren't great for business or feelings.

I'm not sure why you posted this, but it reminded me of when my wife saw one of these commercials and asked me if we could just get Hulu because they have live sports. I had to explain the intricacies of what sports Hulu had and didn't have an why it was better to have YouTubeTV plus Sunday Ticket (before YTTV got it). So the message was simple and effective.

Back