• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Israel Attacked and its Response

Some people also want to deny that Israel imposed a apartheid state on the Palestinians before October 11th and the ongoing assault and death of Palestinian civilians is not a proportional response.
To be clear, I'm sympathetic to Palestinian civilians who are experiencing horrific conditions and who did not support the terrorist/genocidal group Hamas. They should be helped and Hamas should be wiped out. I also have serious concerns about anyone defending or attempting to justify the October 7 attack.

There was a ceasefire immediately before the October 7th attack.
these statements about the “ceasefire” always confuse me, because this isn’t a conflict between two mutual opponents - one actor is an occupying force constantly instigating and committing injustices against the occupyee with the threat of overwhelming violence if they respond. Using any logic, how would that be considered a legitimate truce, and be expected to last indefinitely? Hindsight is cheap, but it seems pretty fucking obvious that one side was much more more comfortable with the conditions of the “ceasefire”.

To be clear, I'm sympathetic to Palestinian civilians who are experiencing horrific conditions and who did not support the terrorist/genocidal group Hamas. They should be helped and Hamas should be wiped out. I also have serious concerns about anyone defending or attempting to justify the October 7 attack.
Who is doing that?

There is no honesty in any agreement where the US and Israel have their boot on the neck of Palestine. If they felt the terms were so secure then they wouldn’t have built that big fucking wall.

Who is doing that?
Perhaps I am not correctly interpreting MDMH's response to my post several pages ago: "I get stuck on this, because I don’t think it’s right that Palestine/Gaza/Hamas aren’t allowed to attack Israel while Israel’s attacks on Palestine are not only allowed, but subsidized." To me, this means he thinks that Hamas should be "allowed" to attack Israel in such a way. I'm not quite sure who is doing the "allowing" or what that means.

I can agree with that last sentence. Oct. 7th was a terrorist attack that is understandable, but not justifiable.

And, too much discourse acts as if this conflict started on Oct. 7th, rather than another incident in the conflict’s history.

I can think the October 7th attack was evil and also think Netanyahu is evil and took advantage of it.

I can agree with that last sentence. Oct. 7th was a terrorist attack that is understandable, but not justifiable.

And, too much discourse acts as if this conflict started on Oct. 7th, rather than another incident in the conflict’s history.
I think this all started when the Romans invaded, but maybe it was when the Greeks invaded, or perhaps the Babylonians.

he thinks that Hamas should be "allowed" to attack Israel in such a way. I'm not quite sure who is doing the "allowing" or what that means.
Its no offense to you, but I simply reject the premise of condemning Hamas without condemning Israel. To me, they are inseparable topics.

I would love to study authoritarian epistemology. Certain people get such satisfaction and enjoyment from the enforcement of authority in general. I would almost be jealous of that if I didn’t find it so weird and pathetic
without knowing exactly your interest -- at face this sounds less like epistemology and more like psychoanalysis

(which is my interest!)

without knowing exactly your interest -- at face this sounds less like epistemology and more like psychoanalysis
Maybe, but I already have a pretty strong base familiarity with that topic. I’m more curious about the foundational beliefs, justified true belief, Hans Albert and rational
heuristics, etc.

Back