• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jill Abramson - Commencement Speaker

Jill Abramson got fired today...five days before she's giving the speech at Wake Forest. Awkward...

OMG this is the ultimate LOWF moment as far as commencement goes. Or speakers in general.

Cardinal Arinzi was awful in 1999. His accent was so thick nobody could understand him, and Wake had its usual audio system quality control issues to boot. It was also super hot that day.

Who could listen to this lady talk and think that she would be a good speaker for commencement? Her voice is completely insufferable.

"As I look out and see the many young faces seeking to enter the workforce along with me...."

"Remember, your job is not your identity - your husband is. ... wait, what?"

"Here you have acquired to skills to make your mark on the world. So carpe diem and all that... yada yada yada... when do I get paid?"

"Education is its own reward. Even if you are a Starbucks barista living in a studio apartment with $40,000 in debt, your education is still worth it. At least that's what I'll be telling myself."

Other universities are "firing" their commencement speakers. Ours gets fired.

Kudos to Wake for getting someone who's the center of attention and currently on the front of Huffpo.

The kids have put up with Buzz for their entire college careers, let him take the podium for one last sad depressing parting gift.

If I was graduating this year I would not be real impressed with this choice...guess it would be too hard to get a replacement at the 11th hour.

Though the thought of a Buzz "culture" speech is rather intriguing.....:bowrofl:

New Yorker seems to believe she was fired for, at least in part, pressing the matter that she was under compensated from the previous position holder.

Tough road to hoe but it seems like if it's true there could be a discrimination suit. Although I don't know what it means that the NYT was paying her a "comparable" salary.

New Yorker seems to believe she was fired for, at least in part, pressing the matter that she was under compensated from the previous position holder.

Tough road to hoe but it seems like if it's true there could be a discrimination suit. Although I don't know what it means that the NYT was paying her a "comparable" salary.

I can see her point, but she didn't have as much time at the paper as her predecessor, and there's tremendous deflation in salaries in print media. I know several eds at the Journal have been forced to take reductions over the last few years.

I think all of that is true but I also think using "time at the paper" is a convenient way to justify the lower pay.

Good. I think this actually adds some excitement to commencement. Better than rummaging around for some retired public official or CEO. She's dealing with a shitty situation, and instead of avoiding the subject she should embrace it at commencement and use it to illustrate the challenges that occur out in the real world. I might actually read the transcript of her speech now.

The Times should have promoted Marty Baron when they had the chance. He runs the Post now.

Good. I think this actually adds some excitement to commencement. Better than rummaging around for some retired public official or CEO. She's dealing with a shitty situation, and instead of avoiding the subject she should embrace it at commencement and use it to illustrate the challenges that occur out in the real world. I might actually read the transcript of her speech now.

It very well could be her first public comments since the firing, which will add some interest.

Back