• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jill Abramson - Commencement Speaker

It very well could be her first public comments since the firing, which will add some interest.

She's already issued one of those rosy "I enjoyed working here statements," so I doubt there's going to be any scorched earth in the address.

Good. I think this actually adds some excitement to commencement. Better than rummaging around for some retired public official or CEO. She's dealing with a shitty situation, and instead of avoiding the subject she should embrace it at commencement and use it to illustrate the challenges that occur out in the real world. I might actually read the transcript of her speech now.

Yeah, people are acting like this is LOWF, but first of all it's not, and second of all if anything it's probably good for Wake in terms of the publicity it could bring.

War on women comes to Wake

She's already issued one of those rosy "I enjoyed working here statements," so I doubt there's going to be any scorched earth in the address.

Probably but how dope would it be if she got up there and just said "FUCK THE NEW YORK TIMES AS AN EMPLOYER, NEWSPAPER, AND AS A MUTHAFUCKIN CREW. AND IF YOU WANNA BE DOWN WITH THE NEW YORK TIMES THEN FUCK YOU TOO. DEAN BAQUET, FUCK YOU TOO. ALL YALL MUTHAFUCKAS, FUCK YOU TOO. FUCK YOU, DIE SLOW MUTHAFUCKAS, MY FO-FO MAKE SURE ALL YALL KIDS DON'T GROW."

Man that would be some sick pub for Wake Forest.

Yeah, people are acting like this is LOWF, but first of all it's not, and second of all if anything it's probably good for Wake in terms of the publicity it could bring.

Wake Forest mention currently on the Drudge page.

Keep her but make her comment in some fashion on the NYT term. Solid publicity.

I've not been to a graduation since 2005, and will be going on Monday. How much has changed in the last decade? I assume you'd still need to get there around 7am to get any sort of decent seat? They still announce the grad programs as a group after the address and they leave to go to their respective areas?

I've not been to a graduation since 2005, and will be going on Monday. How much has changed in the last decade? I assume you'd still need to get there around 7am to get any sort of decent seat? They still announce the grad programs as a group after the address and they leave to go to their respective areas?

Sounds like it hasn't changed much - the answer is yes to your last two questions.

OMG this is the ultimate LOWF moment as far as commencement goes. Or speakers in general.

Cardinal Arinzi was awful in 1999. His accent was so thick nobody could understand him, and Wake had its usual audio system quality control issues to boot. It was also super hot that day.

YES. It was awful, and made even more so by the fact that I was running on two hours sleep and rocking an awesome hangover. I would have died if it weren't for that bottle of ice-cold water under my seat.

YES. It was awful, and made even more so by the fact that I was running on two hours sleep and rocking an awesome hangover. I would have died if it weren't for that bottle of ice-cold water under my seat.

Speaking of which....does anyone remember the story during 2001 about a girl (Chi-O I think) missing graduation. As I recall, she was out at Daytona's getting bombed the night before graduation and goes home with a law student (or some guy). She sleeps in at his place and misses graduation. The guy drops her off at her off campus house the next day after graduation and her out-of-town family is there, including her grandmother. I love that story.

Interesting point but the Times is a good example of a print media company who did a great job adapting to the digital age.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mylestanzer/exclusive-times-internal-report-painted-dire-digital-picture
Exclusive: New York Times Internal Report Painted Dire Digital Picture

A 96-page internal New York Times report, sent to top executives last month by a committee led by the publisher’s son and obtained by BuzzFeed, paints a dark picture of a newsroom struggling more dramatically than is immediately visible to adjust to the digital world, a newsroom that is hampered primarily by its own storied culture.

The Times report was finalized March 24 by a committee of digitally oriented staffers led by reporter A.G. Sulzberger. His father, Times Publisher Arthur Sulzberger, fired Executive Editor Jill Abramson Tuesday, a decision that doesn’t appear immediately related to the paper’s digital weaknesses.

The report largely ignores legacy competitors and focuses on the new wave of digital companies, including First Look Media, Vox, Huffington Post, Business Insider, and BuzzFeed.

“They are ahead of us in building impressive support systems for digital journalists, and that gap will grow unless we quickly improve our capabilities,” the report warns. “Meanwhile, our journalism advantage is shrinking as more of these upstarts expand their newsrooms.”

“We are not moving with enough urgency,” it says.

Ugh. Sad that the New York Times should consider the models of HuffPo, Business Insider, and BuzzFeed. Tripe.

from the W-SJ:

Several national media companies including ABC, CBS, C-Span, The Associated Press and The Washington Post now plan to cover the graduation ceremony, said Katie Neal, a university spokeswoman. The ceremony is not open to the public and the university will be closed to through traffic from about 5:30 a.m. to noon Monday. About 1,700 students will be getting degrees.

from the W-SJ:

Several national media companies including ABC, CBS, C-Span, The Associated Press and The Washington Post now plan to cover the graduation ceremony, said Katie Neal, a university spokeswoman. The ceremony is not open to the public and the university will be closed to through traffic from about 5:30 a.m. to noon Monday. About 1,700 students will be getting degrees.
Great planning by WFU, or greatest?

Back