• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

John Collins is #2 in KP's All-ACC Ratings

At season's end, DM will know how best to advise JC about his pro career potential.

That's a huge advantage playing for the 1988 #1 overall pick.

"Hey, listen, 30 years ago"
"Yea I see where this is going, coach"

"Hey, listen, 30 years ago"
"Yea I see where this is going, coach"

It may have been 30 years ago, but I suspect that any NBA GM who didn't take or quickly return a phone call from Manning would be an ex-GM very quickly. Therefore he will be able to get Collins both unofficial and official (via the NBA draft process) good information on his value and likely draft position in 2017. And some insight as to what it might be, obviously with lots of caveats, on what it might be next year.

Been thinking that if Collins stayed all four years, he's got the potential to draw legitimate comparisons to Timmy D. Obviously unless something crazy happens, he'll won't be here all 4 years, but his improvement over last year is really pretty amazing and he's just a soph.

no. just no.

Doubt Collins goes anywhere unless somehow he gets a top 10 projection. This is a strong draft class. Next year, with more time under Manning, esp if he can add a consistent 15-18ft jump shot to his game, he will be a top 5 lock. Just my opinion, but all the good bigs I see in today's game have a good medium range game minus Dwight Howard. Once he adds that, he'll pretty much be the complete player teams need that can step in and contribute day 1--which leads to being a top 5 pick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He goes if he has multiple first round guarantees. I wouldn't move with less than five. The combination of the depth of talent and fluidity it could cause would make needing so many.

He doesn't need 5 freaking promises from teams. Some of y'all are talking yourselves into him staying another year. He might stay if he really likes college or is in no hurry to start that part of his life but it is becoming clearer and clearer he's likely a 1st round pick and it's likely practical for him to stay in the draft.

A top-5 lock next year? Some of y'all are absolutely insane.

What I'm saying is, he needs to be sure. The worst thing for him would be to leave and be drafted early in the second round by a crappy team.

There have been 3 NCAA juniors or seniors to go in the top 5 of the last SIX drafts total

What I'm saying is, he needs to be sure. The worst thing for him would be to leave and be drafted early in the second round by a crappy team.

This is such a myth. Many people think getting drafted high 2nd is better than late 1st for the player. Not tied down to the rookie scale, a bit more flexibility with the contract. And playing time is crucial for development and you can often find more on "crappy" teams.

There have been 3 NCAA juniors or seniors to go in the top 5 of the last SIX drafts total

"past results do not guarantee future performance" Collins is somewhat of a rarity these days - he was not rated that highly out of HS and played behind a senior as a freshman. Most of these early entrant guys were known to be going pro right from the get-go. I can easily see Collins playing himself into the top 10 - top 5 might be a reach but is not out of the question - depending on next year's draft quality, of course.

He needs way more than to expand his range. He is very much a below average defender by NBA standards.

Collins is a legit 6'10 240lbs, already has some of the best low post moves in the NCAA and consistently gets 20/10 against top level ACC competition. He plays defense well in the low post when he's not in foul trouble, which can be fixed with good coaching (looking at you, Manning). If he can add that and a mid range game, then what more would an NBA team be looking for in a top 5 PF prospect? He wouldn't have a single weakness that I can think of. Oh, and he nails his free throws too...knock on wood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This year, if Collins were to be drafted, he looks headed to what I call NBA hell. Those teams that in good years just barely make the playoffs, and in bad years just miss the eight seed, and end up with a 'teens lottery pick.

Guys, he is gone. This argument is over. He has proved himself to be one of the best offensive CBB players. Good for him, DM and the program to have such a player.

Maybe he'll carry us on his back to the tournament this year, which would be a great way to end it. SJM should be licking his chops for next year, he will have a good opportunity.

always interesting to read the draft projections from the folks you never see on the nba thread...

Not encouraging that Collins retweets pretty much every NBA draft article that mentions him.

I mean, I'm sure it's exciting for him, but the optics of that are not good if you expect him to stay another year.

I don't. I also don't expect a kid to hide that he's moving up draft projections.

Back