• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Julius Peppers' UNC Transcript Posted

How does one earn a 'D' in a course (Swahili) designed to be thrown in one's favor?

Unbelievable.

Also, there are exactly 0 stories about this on the Tarhole scout board.

Total non-story.

I don't think it's a non-story when Julius Peppers was ineligible for every single semester he was enrolled at UNC, yet was allowed to play two sports. It also bunks the idea that this whole academic thing was recent. This would have stemmed back at least 10 years (and probably longer).

How do you justify it being a non-story?

Reactions: DG3
That transcript is pretty shocking. Embarrassing for UNC...if anything embarrasses them.

Why the in the world would UNC allow that transcript to be seen on the website.

What kind of program are they running over there? I understand things are fudged at every school (MSD no different), but my goodness what is going on in Chapel Hill is just bizarre.

Classes he failed: Algebra, World Regional Geography, Earth and Climate.

Classes he made a D in: Intro Media Productions, Elements of Drama, Stagecraft (STAGECRAFT?!?!?!), English Comp and Rhetoric (to his credit it was a D+), Black Experience (x2).

Why this is important (taken from PackPride):

Aiken2009 wrote: this thing is blowing up on twitter...not bad for a sunday night. I figure the media and blogs will run with it tomorrow unless some FERPA deal gets in the wa

Morrison form Greensboro News and Record, Charlotte writer J Jones, Mike Solarte from News14 Carolina, and other local guys in-state are talking about Peppers right now...sure it will spread more in the morning.

UNC caught in atleast 3 major lies this evening...

1. When the cheating started (pre 1998 not 2007 as advertised)

2. Allowing an ineligible player to compete in two sports with a 1.65 gpa

3. Grade fixing and grade changing in four different instances. 4 of Peppers grades were changed.

4-10. More AFAM fraud of course.......were some of the other classes, profs involved?

From this article http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/e...eatures-classes-mentioned-in-academic-scandal

It is also possible that the transcript in question is not that of Julius Peppers. However, an ESPN article by Tom Friend on Peppers and then academic advisor (and now agent) Carl Carey details Peppers struggles in a specific class -- Drama 15 -- during the first semester of his freshman year. That class is accurately reflected on the transcript displayed.

This transcript is particularly interesting because of the number of "Independent Study" courses in Afro-American Studies Peppers, who played at UNC from 1999 to 2001, attended.

The university previously investigated 54 similar classes, which took place from 2007 to 2011, for academic fraud and determined that said classes were "aberrant."

Why the in the world would UNC allow that transcript to be seen on the website.

What kind of program are they running over there? I understand things are fudged at every school (MSD no different), but my goodness what is going on in Chapel Hill is just bizarre.

Its clearly supposed to be private like when you log on to WIN

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

If I read it correctly it's from a test transcript which they use internally to show people how to re-sign up for classes.

Why would they use a real one, and an athlete's one at that, to prove this point. How ridiculous.

And 724, how exactly is this a non-story, unless you're being sarcastic. This means they've had athletic fraud on both basketball/football teams for at least a decade.

Apparently this is what could have happened:

The grades for Peppers are nearly identical, semester-by-semester, with those of Test One Jones, the made-up transcript.

One theory as to how Peppers name appears is this: UNC created a set of web pages for demonstration purposes and based the hypothetical student off of Peppers time at UNC. But whoever created the model likely simply forgot to scrub Peppers name off of one page, and now Peppers transcript is up on full view for the world at UNC's website.

UNC has previously declined comment on specific transcripts, citing protection under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). It is possible that either Peppers waived his FERPA rights and posting his transcript wouldn't cause any sort of violation of said protection.

Yeah, the heading at the top of the page is "Faculty/Staff Central". The main take away IMO is that he seemingly played both sports after multiple semesters with a sub 2.0 GPA, which I thought was not allowed.

Yeah, the heading at the top of the page is "Faculty/Staff Central". The main take away IMO is that he seemingly played both sports after multiple semesters with a sub 2.0 GPA, which I thought was not allowed.

From the NCAA eligibility page:

All Division I student-athletes must earn at least six credit hours each term to be eligible for the following term and must meet minimum grade-point average requirements that are related to an institution’s own GPA standards for graduation.

From Carolina's page (2012-2013 so it could have changed):

Eligible–In Good Standing
The requirements for “Eligible–In Good Standing” are as follows:

A 2.000 cumulative UNC–Chapel Hill grade point average and the following cumulative number of academic semester credit hours passed:

• 9 academic hours to enter a second semester (15 hours is recommended)

• 24 academic hours to enter a third semester (30 hours is recommended)

• 36 academic hours to enter a fourth semester (45 hours is recommended)

• 51 academic hours to enter a fifth semester (60 hours is recommended)

• 63 academic hours to enter a sixth semester (75 hours is recommended)

• 78 academic hours to enter a seventh semester (90 hours is recommended)

• 93 academic hours to enter an eighth semester (105 hours is recommended)

• Special permission of the dean to enter a ninth semester

This means that JP would have been ineligible for every single semester under 2.0.

I don't think any school lets you graduate with a sub 2.0. I think that's pretty standard.

Back