• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

June 6, 1944

ddeacs98

Reaction score
258-normandy-american-cemetery.jpg

I pass the D Day memorial in Bedford every time I go to the lake. I really need to check it out at some point. Unfortunately, it has had a lot of financial issues as it is in the middle of nowhere.

General Eisenhower's Order of The Day from that day gives me chills:

Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Forces:

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle-hardened. He will fight savagely.

But this is the year 1944. Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our Home Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned. The free men of the world are marching together to victory.

I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty, and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory.

Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.

I hope someone is showing the first few eps of BoB tonight.

I cant imagine. My grandfather was a Lt. Col in the Marines that fought in the pacific theater. Tarawa and a few other nasty places.

Just cannot imagine rolling up to those beaches.

The most important day of the 20th century for almost the entire world.

The "History" channel is showing nothing but Pawn Stars all day. History2 is showing WWII in HD right now and for most of the day.

That's shameful.

I always remember my Grandpa today. He fought on the beach and until his death was unable to speak about it.

My parents were in the Navy during WW II and met in DC where they were stationed for most of the war. My mom's brother was a paratrooper stationed somewhere near Baltimore. My mom went to see him a week before he shipped out to Europe. When she got to the base, she was told her brother had gotten into trouble and was picking up trash around the base. Paratroopers always wore their pants tucked into their boots and my uncle and some of his buddies had gotten into a fight with some other soldiers who were trying to pass themselves off as paratroopers. She spent the day walking around the base with her brother as he served his punishment. She was shocked when her brother called a few days later because he'd received orders for officer training school three days before he was supposed to head to Europe.

One of my cousins took his dad to Normandy just after Saving Private Ryan came out and they went to the cemetery, and just like the movie, my uncle recognized several names on tombstones since virtually his entire squadron had been wiped out on June 6th.

I pass the D Day memorial in Bedford every time I go to the lake. I really need to check it out at some point. Unfortunately, it has had a lot of financial issues as it is in the middle of nowhere.

I need to stop by there. My wife has family in the Moneta area of SML. I need to get up there too.

It's kind of sad that a lot of young people don't know D-Day or Pearl Harbor. It's odd to think that oust kids (or ther friends) might not know September 11, 2001 or April 13, 2010.

Back