• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

June 6, 1944

so it's something that americans probably have a better understanding of, on average

My grandmother was engaged to a young guy that was killed in WWII. She later dated his brother and were supposed to be married but he was also killed in combat.

As a very religious Catholic daughter of Irish immigrants she thought that it was a sign from God that she was supposed to be alone. For a long time she refused to ever go out socially and met my grandfather at work.

well, i was just poking vlad with that comment but sure, you don't need to know where france is to know what happened at pearl harbor

also, i'd take the bet that, on average, us citizens know where france is on a map

yeah, some americans are idiots, definitely. but there are dumb people everywhere on the planet.

Is vad trying to imply that America is not #1?

BTW - after the end of the Cold War, Russian historians worked to piece together a lot of stuff that had been hidden, etc ... the result was a bunch of new scholarship, including a documentary series called "Soviet Storm: WW2 in the East". The entire thing is up in an English version on YouTube. If you're interested in WW2, it's definitely an interesting watch - especially from a Russian viewpoint.

Here's the episode on the the Ryzhev "Meatgrinder" for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su67gOzFPQM

interesting vid. how is Stalin viewed by Russian history?

This is an interesting video showing just how huge the scale of loss was in WWII, particularly when compared to wars today:

http://www.vox.com/2015/6/8/8746611/world-war-ii-deaths

The numbers are just staggering. When he gets to the description of Stalingrad and the rest of the eastern front it is staggering.

While you watch, keep in mind the video only includes deaths, not other casualties.

16% of Poles died.

Last edited:
Back