• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Keep Randolph as assistant!

I am sure one of the major sticking points in the negotiation with Manning was assistant coaches. I'd be willing to bet Wellman wanted to protect some of his human shields and Manning said either he'd make the decision on his staff or Ron could get back on the jet to Winston-Salem. I trust Manning on this one. He has to have a staff he believes will work in concert with him.

So Childress would be the equivalent of John Scheyer on the Duke bench or Tim Fuller on our bench previously. Do yawl really think Chill would not do a better job than those coaches? Yawl internet warriors baffle me...

Da Man oughta go pick up Steve Donahue, Paul Hewitt, etc. or one of those other coaches who have been let go as a 1st assistant a la Steve Robinson at UNC. Someone w ACC ties (not Buzz ties).

I think Chill can do more for Wake in some type of Athletic department capacity vs officially being part of the actual basketball coaching staff

Thought I read on here a while back that Childress does NOT want a job in the AD (can you really blame him, if true?); he wants to be on the bench.

We can expect DM to bring most of his own staff with him. Dont know what opportunities there may be for existing personnel.

We can expect DM to bring most of his own staff with him. Dont know what opportunities there may be for existing personnel.

I think it's good he's bringing his staff (Ballard and Woodberry). But DM did part ways with one assistant after the season so there should be at least one opening. It'll be interesting to see what happens there.

The sad state of our program has nothing to do with rusty and chill

But RW used chill as an obvious shield during the dark times. And he did it. It's reasonable to expect Danny boy would want to avoid one of wellman's cronies having any public input on HIS program. Kinda of like a politician coming in and taking over a new seat, but he's asked to keep the old guys PR chief on.. Just not desirable for a new leader.

Do you not realize how many of our players would have transferred already if not for Chill? Travis would have been gone 2 years ago. He connects with the players. I want a warrior on the bench who has been there and done that- hit a 3 pointer in grant hills face to win a game in Cameron , hit 5 straight 3s in the Joel in successive trips down the court , 107 in the ACCT, cut down the nets, scored 20 pts a game 3 straight years, hit more game winning shots than anyone I can recall on the college level... Letting him go would be a HUGE mistake. Not to mention that he has a son who is connected with local recruits and is becoming an ACC level recruit. Do you want Chill's son lighting us up for another team? Get a grip

considering danny was an assistant coach at his alma mater I imagine he will at least give serious thought to keeping chill and/or rusty on board

Do you not realize how many of our players would have transferred already if not for Chill? Travis would have been gone 2 years ago. He connects with the players. I want a warrior on the bench who has been there and done that- hit a 3 pointer in grant hills face to win a game in Cameron , hit 5 straight 3s in the Joel in successive trips down the court , 107 in the ACCT, cut down the nets, scored 20 pts a game 3 straight years, hit more game winning shots than anyone I can recall on the college level... Letting him go would be a HUGE mistake. Not to mention that he has a son who is connected with local recruits and is becoming an ACC level recruit. Do you want Chill's son lighting us up for another team? Get a grip

I love Childress. Watched every game he played in the Joel and many road games. If you or anybody else has a cogent, compelling case for him to be retained, I'd love to read it.

Our head coach now fulfills this role. And, as much as Randolph is one of Wake's favorite sons, his playing career doesn't really sniff Manning's.

I'm okay with Childress staying on the staff, but only if it's 100% the decision of Coach Manning. Bottom line, find the best person for the job, irrespective of lineage. Many people have indicated that Childress will have a job with Wake for as long as he wants it, so it's not a given that he won't be available to reprise his assistant coach role later on if Manning were to choose someone else initially.

Are you saying this with some sort of knowledge of the situation, or just repeatedly stating your opinion of what you think should happen?

this is knowledge from a very inside source that of course like all leaks, must reman anonymous. This person would know all the details.

Like everything, I will believe it when I see the official announcement.

Good thing he can hit those 3s, make big shots for us now…oh wait.

But what I do want him to do is to get some HC experience & then head our team.

my understanding is that Childress staying is absolute. The other 2 coaching positions and the coordinator are of Danny's choosing. No guarantees,etc for Rusty or Battle.

Childress was the one the past few years that the players leaned on when Chill worked in an AD assistant role and as an assistant coach. CHildress is just as charismatic and loved by the players as he is by all of us - this has been obvious to the upper administration and key alumni.

Childress and Manning will get along great and complement each other just like a lights out shooting point guard and an athletic big man would complement each other on the floor.

Back