• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Keys to next year’s FB team

Myself and another Deac sitting behind me at the game were increasingly frustrated with the loose zone pass defense. On one occasion the TAM back ran out of the backfield to the flat and the ball was thrown when he got there and no Deac was within 10 yards. I understand "bend, don't break" between the 20s but it doesn't work when you give up as many points as we did (and I give TAM a lot of credit for that).

My concerns for next year:
1)better pass D. We play a soft zone and give up a lot of completions, particularly on third down. Our run D is usually good but we have given up too many long plays during games with better competition. Hopefully, the replacement linebackers will be fast and have intuition and quick response to where ball is going.
2) develop a true "killer" instinct. We rarely seem to put a game away against strong competition and we seem to loose focus when we go up by two scores or more. It happened again in this game when we were up 38-21. When our field goal (we should have scored td) was blocked I said I hope this doesn't turn out to be a turning point and unfortunately it did. Don't know whether it's focus, more conservative play calling or what but it would be nice to occasionally blow out a good team and not wait until fourth quarter to put the game away.
3) develop a stronger pass rush. We seemed to rarely blitz in this game. The one linebacker blitz I remember caused a qb fumble which we recovered. I don't think TAM qb was outstanding but we were making him so and do so with any qb we give a lot of time to pass. I realize a lot of his passes were quick release which negates a pass rush but then I go back to my #1 concern.
4) develop a backup qb. Hinton seems to get injured during the course of the season.

Really pleased overall with the direction and results of this team. Clawson appears to talk like he's in it for the long haul. Hope so and he ends up with the second statue on campus.

Yup. My son and I felt the same way about the defense and have for a while. It is frustrating to watch for sure. You sure you weren't sitting in front of us? :)

Also forgot to ask, is there a TE on the team that has the potential of Cam?

Also forgot to ask, is there a TE on the team that has the potential of Cam?

The potential of perhaps the best TE in ACC history, probably not. The potential to be a serviceable replacement that still gives us a threat at that position, hopefully.

I think if we keep our eyes on the prize, put our nose to the grindstone and take every week one at a time, we may do something special

We‘ll also have to bring our A game every week, do all the little things, put forth really great effort, make sure everyone‘s on the same page, have great team chemistry, remember there‘s no I in team, and thank our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

We‘ll also have to bring our A game every week, do all the little things, put forth really great effort, make sure everyone‘s on the same page, have great team chemistry, remember there‘s no I in team, and thank our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

All moot if you don't give 110%

Weak at the LB position and inexperience in the defensive backfield. LB play must improve. But, our DL was the best in years.

Yep.

DL kept us in games all year.
OL came on the second half of the season.

AGREED. I think he's almost become more like a fullback or just a short yardage/goal line back.

There are situations where the ability to get 1 or 2 really tough yards is a big asset.

Taylor Zarzour was on one of the radio shows last week (before our bowl victory) and was asked his predictions for the Big Four next year; Duke about the same, NCSU regressing, UNC no where to go but up, and Wake with Clawson's system & recruits now firmly in place as having the highest ceiling.

Myself and another Deac sitting behind me at the game were increasingly frustrated with the loose zone pass defense. On one occasion the TAM back ran out of the backfield to the flat and the ball was thrown when he got there and no Deac was within 10 yards. I understand "bend, don't break" between the 20s but it doesn't work when you give up as many points as we did (and I give TAM a lot of credit for that).

My concerns for next year:
1)better pass D. We play a soft zone and give up a lot of completions, particularly on third down. Our run D is usually good but we have given up too many long plays during games with better competition. Hopefully, the replacement linebackers will be fast and have intuition and quick response to where ball is going.
2) develop a true "killer" instinct. We rarely seem to put a game away against strong competition and we seem to loose focus when we go up by two scores or more. It happened again in this game when we were up 38-21. When our field goal (we should have scored td) was blocked I said I hope this doesn't turn out to be a turning point and unfortunately it did. Don't know whether it's focus, more conservative play calling or what but it would be nice to occasionally blow out a good team and not wait until fourth quarter to put the game away.
3) develop a stronger pass rush. We seemed to rarely blitz in this game. The one linebacker blitz I remember caused a qb fumble which we recovered. I don't think TAM qb was outstanding but we were making him so and do so with any qb we give a lot of time to pass. I realize a lot of his passes were quick release which negates a pass rush but then I go back to my #1 concern.
4) develop a backup qb. Hinton seems to get injured during the course of the season.

Really pleased overall with the direction and results of this team. Clawson appears to talk like he's in it for the long haul. Hope so and he ends up with the second statue on campus.

I agree. I also think the "killer instinct" needs to start with the coaches and their play calling on both sides of the field.

Are the 8-10 yard cushions our corners give receivers a product of zone D? It doesn't seems the two would be related. I'd like to see our corners get up closer to the line now and then.7 yard completions are there for the taking.

The potential of perhaps the best TE in ACC history, probably not. The potential to be a serviceable replacement that still gives us a threat at that position, hopefully.

ACC history? Vernon Davis, Heath Miller, and Greg Olsen immediately come to mind.

he's no.1 one in receptions, yards, and touchdowns. so yes, he's technically the best ever in the ACC. At least he was after the Cuse game according to the ACC home page.

"Take that for data."

Last edited:
Serigne is awesome and is going to be a great pro but lets pump the brakes a little. He didn't even lead the ACC in catches or yards by a TE this year.

when did one year equate to an entire college career?

I mean, they were talking about best tight ends in acc history. Pretty sure you can't become one of the best statistically in one year.

Cam didn’t have to be as big a part of our offense this year, we actually had other weapons.

Back