• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lebron to become free agent

Come on, it's all about the Spurs. they trade Danny and Tiago for future considerations and some churros. Then lebron plays wsith Tim, Tony, Manu. Kawhi, Fat Boris and Belinelli.

You can't expect to keep Boris if you are trading away all the churros.

Oh snap... lookie what Lebron just tweeted. Riley is really gonna have egg on his face now.

sfl-miami-heat-julius-erving-s082113-001.jpg

Well that, and they want to win championships. It's really more about Duncan willing to take less to better talent around him. It's pretty hard for anyone else in that locker room to go into a negotiation and ask for more than Duncan. A few guys will get that during their prime, sure, but it certainly sets a specific tone.

Going to be interesting to see what Kawhi ends up getting.

Yeah... not only because of his place in the SA ecosystem, but also because it's tough to know how much he's really worth on the open market.

Yeah... not only because of his place in the SA ecosystem, but also because it's tough to know how much he's really worth on the open market.

Yeah, I guess. I think a 23 year old Finals MVP gets max from most teams who can afford it, but he clearly still has something to prove. I'm curious if he'll get max or near max from the Spurs. I think Duncan opted in for this year only so he would know what to take for 2015-16 in order to keep Kawhi.

Yeah, he's really good at 23 and had an amazing Finals but he's a 13 and 6 guy playing for the best coach on the best team in the best situation.

Everyone talks about the talent identification from the Spurs to trade up and get him, and to land all these players they've landed in the draft. None of these guys would be who they are without the Spurs though.

Danny Green was almost out of the league and now he's an incredibly valuable piece. Ditto with Patty Mills. Ditto with Boris Diaw.

but kawhi can guard KD and Lebron as well or better than anyone else in the league

that alone might get him stupid money

And I think guys like Green and Diaw are probably very grateful and willing to take less than market value to stay in a comfortable position where they know their role. Lack of state income taxes helps.

And I think guys like Green and Diaw are probably very grateful and willing to take less than market value to stay in a comfortable position where they know their role. Lack of state income taxes helps.

Diaw is more prickly than he leads on. He has basically quit on three different franchises. And he thinks he is a legit 6th man of the year type of player. I think other teams will be scared off unless they are legit contenders and don't have existing issues. So no Pacers, probably no Thunder and no Rockets but yes to say Golden State.

And Green is making like $4mil next year already. Diaw didn't play for peanuts this year himself. He was paid somewhere in the $4mil range. My guess is you sign Diaw for like 3 years at $18 mil, let Bonner go or sign him for under $1mil, and try and get Patty Mills to sign a 3 year $15 mil contact himself.

For some reason Jeff Ayers makes over $1.5 million next year and he could be their only overpaid player.

I think Mills could get more than 3 years, $15M even in a crowded PG marketplace.

Kawhi is going to get paid. No doubt about it. Duncan and Manu will be pretty much off the books by then (if either/both come back after next year I can't imagine it will be for a ton of cash). I think Splitter's deal will be expiring. He's the focal point of their future, and they know it. He will get a big deal.

I think Mills could get more than 3 years, $15M even in a crowded PG marketplace.

You may be right. It would be a huge salary bump for him even at $5mil. what is the cap this year? roughly $70mil? I think if you get Diaw for $6mil you are still $11mil under the cap.

I would think Diaw is a lock to stay a Spur. He fits so well with them; it's in both parties interest to keep him a Spur and they have the money to re-sign him. Mills is an interesting case because this will probably be, by far, his best chance to make big money in his career.

I would think Diaw is a lock to stay a Spur. He fits so well with them; it's in both parties interest to keep him a Spur and they have the money to re-sign him. Mills is an interesting case because this will probably be, by far, his best chance to make big money in his career.

Exactly. The only way I think he stays with the Spurs is if either the money just isn't out there or if the Spurs offer him good money to be Parker's long-term replacement and first man off the bench at PG and SG.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs take a PG in the draft. There are some solid US PGs that may still be around.

kawhi will be offered max or close to it. the spurs will want kawhi to get paid and timmy et al will be happy to take less money to let the younger guys get paid and stay around.

spurs only have 2 guys under contract after this coming season so they have a ton of flexibility next year to completely retool their team if they choose. the cap will be going up so they can build around kawhi. i would not be surprised if the old guys are still playing well next year some of them sign low deals to return the following year(s).

Exactly. The only way I think he stays with the Spurs is if either the money just isn't out there or if the Spurs offer him good money to be Parker's long-term replacement and first man off the bench at PG and SG.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs take a PG in the draft. There are some solid US PGs that may still be around.

mills gives the spurs much needed speed/quickness and toughness off the bench. they really need his shooting and defensive effort. they won't overpay for him but i wonder what the market will be for him.

lol of course a thread about lebron turns into a thread about kawhi leonard

#morespurshubris

Back