• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Les Déplorables

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

I find educated people tend to appreciate more the expertise of others because there is some sort of context and self-awareness as to just how much there is out there to know. I believe it is actually a psychological phenomenon the paradox where the more of an expert you are the more you realize how much you don't know. The problem is human ego and the need to defend one's self worth. If we aren't going to be PC then let's just say it, there are a lot of people that aren't intellectual world beaters. They can still be great people and be good at what they do. But I am not going to ask them about global warming. Because what the fuck do they know? Even if they had the time most people, me included, probably couldn't grasp the methodology and the science behind what they do.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

I find educated people tend to appreciate more the expertise of others because there is some sort of context and self-awareness as to just how much there is out there to know. I believe it is actually a psychological phenomenon the paradox where the more of an expert you are the more you realize how much you don't know. The problem is human ego and the need to defend one's self worth. If we aren't going to be PC then let's just say it, there are a lot of people that aren't intellectual world beaters. They can still be great people and be good at what they do. But I am not going to ask them about global warming. Because what the fuck do they know? Even if they had the time most people, me included, probably couldn't grasp the methodology and the science behind what they do.

Dunning-Kruger is absolutely fascinating.

86e9b295c44478a05acf7589caa128ab.jpg

Honestly, which quote are you talking about?

The "basket of deplorables" quote. Has anybody read or seen the entire quote beyond simply "basket of deplorables?"

Good post P4nthers. The more you know the more you find out you don't know much outside of what you know. I know medicine and research and even within that I have a very small expertise. I can make educated opinions about say sports injuries but I'd default to the expertise of an orthopedic. It seems the opinion vs fact mostly expands to areas that it's tough to prove a concrete outcome and opinions become facts because enough people congregate around the opinion, very easy with the Internet.

This just showed up on my Facebook feed from an obviously very conservative ex-partner (he also posted the Les Deplorables link). Perhaps the Trumper's have found their theme song

This just showed up on my Facebook feed from an obviously very conservative ex-partner (he also posted the Les Deplorables link). Perhaps the Trumper's have found their theme song

more like a theme song for the boards

Dunning-Kruger is absolutely fascinating.

Yep. In full effect with Stein and Trump.

I get voting Stein as a protest vote, but anybody who thinks she wouldn't poop in her pants at the prospect of actually putting together an administration of qualified people to actually run the country or having the knowledge base to do so. It would be like pulling some joe off the street and telling them to run a Fortune 500 company. At least Trump could rely on the Pub establishment to do the heavy lifting.

Last edited:
There are a lot of people that get a bit of education and consider themselves smarter than others. They then like to test out there theories for "improving" the lives of the less fortunate and less intelligent.

Not sure why anyone would resent that.

These aren't the "intellectual elite" by your own response, they're wannabe intellectual elites, so the question remains: "why would anyone want to be part of opposing intellectual elites?" Call it what it is: you're against people who pretend to be intellectual elites and aren't, but also, realistically in the current political climate, you're against those who have an opinion based on a large amount of time spent studying a specific area/question/topic because it is either against what your experiences are (#anecdotes) or you disagree with the conclusion for some reason (non-expert opinion). I mean the universal "you" not specifically you, knowell.

These aren't the "intellectual elite" by your own response, they're wannabe intellectual elites, so the question remains: "why would anyone want to be part of opposing intellectual elites?" Call it what it is: you're against people who pretend to be intellectual elites and aren't, but also, realistically in the current political climate, you're against those who have an opinion based on a large amount of time spent studying a specific area/question/topic because it is either against what your experiences are (#anecdotes) or you disagree with the conclusion for some reason (non-expert opinion). I mean the universal "you" not specifically you, knowell.

na, you can just go ahead and include him

The problem is in giving power to people who think they know what's good for you. These people consider themselves intellectually superior to middle America. A few might actually be elite, but those that are in power are usually just better at worming there way into positions of power.

I mean this earnestly but realize it can be taken any number of ways, but why would anyone want to take pride or want to be a part of opposing intellectual elites?

Because you don't agree with their self-anointment of elite status?

The problem is in giving power to people who think they know what's good for you. These people consider themselves intellectually superior to middle America. A few might actually be elite, but those that are in power are usually just better at worming there way into positions of power.

Isn't this generalization true about any politician? How about the Pubs in NC who think they know what is good for people to such an extent that they will rig voting so that they keep power even if less people vote for them?

what's the argument that, on average, a less-educated person is in a better position to make a decision than a well-educated person

Good to see you realize why minorities don't vote for Republicans.

Objectively, there are "intellectual elites" in our society - we can all agree on that correct?

Back