• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

LOTR: The Rings of Power

When G gets on the boat in her Paladin armor hero shot - i laughed out loud and said out loud to no one in particular - what is this, a soap opera?

im mostly in it to see what happens with Meteor Man/hobbits and the Elrond plot lines

This show had lured me back in through episodes 3 and 4, and then 5 just totally lost it for me

The elves somehow needing mithril to live and the whole balrog stole mithril from a tree and buried it in a mountain thing was blehhhhh. It created a nonsensical and untrue story arc just to try to piece a story strand together that said why elves need mithril

yeah, i mean the idea behind the legend is not terrible but

Elves nee Mithril b/c it's Silmaril light....? Wat?

what does untrue mean? It's fiction

that doesn't comport with any other canon info.

I mean, maybe the explanation is why Galadriel says the fate of the Elves is bound to the Three rings - they're mithril and allow the elves to remain in Middle Earth. Like they decided they needed to explain why the Rings were so important/powerful.

what does untrue mean? It's fiction
non canon... that better word choice?

The story they told in the episode (in regards to the spoiler I listed) does not align with anything Tolkien wrote. So, untrue seems fine to me

Last edited:
For the record I went into this show realize canon might be messed with. I’m cool with that but this seems overly egregious

yeah, i really am not interested in learning about the "how" the rings of power work. it's fine for me to know that magic exists and that the elves/sauron made them and I can just trust that they're powerful.

Could be that the myth/story is really just that - and the elves' desire for Mithril is what Sauron relies on to ensnare them. It's really only Gil who's extra gung-ho on this legend and the canon kind of sets him up to be taken advantage of

Could be that the myth/story is really just that - and the elves' desire for Mithril is what Sauron relies on to ensnare them. It's really only Gil who's extra gung-ho on this legend and the canon kind of sets him up to be taken advantage of
If this is how they play this I will recant. This would make some sense

Yeah, maybe. Canon is wide open on how Sauron was able to fool the Elves enough to let him work with them.

Also, just saw a "maybe Bronwyn is Sauron" theory floated

Caveat: I have not read any of the other Canon (besides the 4 main books).

Is is possible that Gil-Galad is lying about the "need" for Mithril, and just wants it because of it's incredible value and usefulness? Like, he is expecting a new war with Sauron and thinks that acquiring mithril through deceit and suiting up all his elves in mithril armor would be worth pissing off the dwarfs for the rest of time. He already lied/trick Elrond into confirming it's discovery, so maybe this whole "we need it to survive story with the Balrog and the lighting is just another exaggeration to get what he wants. Greed and deceit don't seem like elvish qualities in the Tolkien universe, but we already see that Galadriel is driven by revenge and has lied or exaggerated when it suits her needs.

Elves in Tolkien are actually pretty nuanced characters with many of them exhibiting the worst characteristics, particularly wrath, greed, and pride.

By the time of LOTR, they're pretty mellow but Second Age and especially First Age elves are hardcore and more like Galadriel

It's possible that GG just wants that Mithril but i honestly think the writers are trying to explain why it's so important a resource, vs just being cool

Last edited:
Episode 6 was the best so far by a long shot. I think in part because it starts pulling together all the threads but also because of the big moment at end of the episode

Last edited:
yeah. im already bummed it's only 8 episodes. the show is a slow burn;

i really hate the rage cycle - it dampens the light on good shows

I think Adar (and the Orcs in general) is a pretty great character.
Adar is a very well written character, especially when juxtaposed with Galadriel, who is poorly written

His speech to Galadriel about the Orcs was perfect line between what he perceives as true and what is true. And he uses the language of the valar to make his point

Last edited:
well said; i liked that Galadriel is reduced to threatening torture, though. She's written so severely and arch; i don't hate it but it's a bit much.

Back