• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Louisville

StrickDeac

Reaction score
The football program just added transfer Devonte Fields from TCU... the one who allegedly pointed a gun at his girlfriend.

I was wary on the decision to add the Cards in the first place. Yes they bring in a strong fan base and good programs in FB and BB, but at what cost? I was hoping their move to the ACC would cut down on some of their C-USA JUCO-type recruiting mentality. I guess I was wrong. This is what? the 5th player they've added in the past year that has been kicked out of another school? Both the FB and BB programs are filled with questionable character kids.

Does this bother anyone else or am I the only one? Is this just me simply being "too 'old ACC,' we're better than that" mentality?

Just curious.

I think that things like this will catch up with them eventually.
Maybe a short term gain, but longer term loss of reputation.
Reputation counts for a lot today in sports and business. Missteps can be very costly.

leave-bobby-petrino-alone-thumb.jpg

Reflects the character of their coach, who is a well documented asshole.

Yeah not surprising at all with Petrino. Aside from the gun allegations it's pretty well documented apparently that his girlfriend had a swollen cheek and face. Weird step to take as Louisville with the current domestic violence scrutiny going on everywhere. I guess they don't care.

Yeah not surprising at all with Petrino. Aside from the gun allegations it's pretty well documented apparently that his girlfriend had a swollen cheek and face. Weird step to take as Louisville with the current domestic violence scrutiny going on everywhere. I guess they don't care.

This will come back to bite them.
Also, would anyone give Petrino more than 2-3 more yrs at Louisville before he leaves or is fired?
Throughout his career, he has been a job-hopper

I'm sure it'll come out that she has a peanut allergy and ordered the wrong dish at the Chinese take out.

The conference starting selling its soul a long time ago. This is just the latest deal in that process. Of course, it was either sell out or die.

First it was FSU in 92. Then Miami. Louisville is just the latest.

First was Ga Tech. That was the beginning of the end.

Back in November there was this:

Leslie Strohm, who was UNC-Chapel Hill’s chief campus lawyer through years of controversy over athletics, academic fraud and sexual assaults, is leaving for a similar job at the University of Louisville.

Strohm, 58, is a UNC-CH vice chancellor and has been its general counsel since 2003. Over the past four years, she was a key campus adviser as two university chancellors grappled with criminal, NCAA and internal campus investigations of issues including the football program, improper benefits paid to athletes by professional sports agents, and a scandal over years of bogus classes created to keep athletes eligible to play.

Strohm herself was targeted in a 2013 complaint filed by students and a former assistant dean, who charged that the general counsel’s office deliberately under-reported campus sexual assaults. She told trustees the allegations, which are still the subject of a federal investigation, were false.

Strohm will start work in February as general counsel and vice president for strategy at Louisville, part of Kentucky’s state university system.

Louisville could care less.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/11/14/4320888_university-of-louisville-hires.html?rh=1

You could make a case for Georgia Tech and Boston College. But FSU, Va. Tech, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville--no.

Why would UGA want to join the ACC?

To follow their former fellow conference members Tech, UNC, and NCState? Or perhaps to win more than two conference titles in 13 years? That's why they left SoCon in the first place.

Or to be closer to you.

To follow their former fellow conference members Tech, UNC, and NCState? Or perhaps to win more than two conference titles in 13 years? That's why they left SoCon in the first place.

Or to be closer to you.

Yeah, maybe W&L will join the ACC too.

Have not researched Fields, but as I understand it, he was charged with a misdemeanor, and did his community service. He was fully qualified out of HS, and is a great player.

So, what is being proposed here? ACC schools not admit any kid that committed a misdemeanor regardless of circumstance?

IIRC, WF has admitted recruits (Dawson and Aminu) that committed misdemeanors prior to enrolling.

Maybe Fields is a great kid who made one mistake. Maybe Fields is a bad seed who will be threat to anyone near him. I don't know, but the idea that all kids that f-up should not be given a chance or given a chance by any school in conference is a bad policy.

Back