• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mad Men Season 7 Part 2 premieres April 5

Imagine that guy who completely called the Coke ending. He's got to be feeling something like this:

I thought Roger playing the organ with Peggy literally revolving around him was a pretty brilliant, satisfactory place to leave the character.

I dunno, I just don't really need to see "what's next" for every character. Like, I've heard a lot of people predict that things will end in an epilogue, but that feels so far off from Weiner's style. He seems perfectly content to leave characters in places that make sense thematically and artistically, even if their arcs are left traditionally unfinished. Frankly, I prefer it that way, anyway. (Maybe that's why I like A Serious Man so much?)

Anyway, changing gears slightly: MY BOI Todd VanDerWerff put up an article on Tuesday predicting the show's final scene, and it seems perfect.

http://www.vox.com/2015/5/12/8589783/mad-men-finale-predictions

Holy shit did he ever nail it!

Clearly, as they said, he always comes back, Don returns and makes this the pitch for Coke. Brilliant! Congrats on nailing this! Of course, it confirms that I married Sally as that was one of my ex-father-in-laws' ads for Coke, only my ex-wife never washed dishes (or cleaned house or...)

lol it's heartless and cynical

but hey, don's just a guy who invents stuff like love and "the real thing" to sell nylons and sugar water

is there anyone here that thinks he stayed in california?

there are a lot of hints that he went back. the girl with the pigtails, the scenery between the hilltop commercial and his retreat, the last conversation w/ peggy ("don't you want to work on the coke account?"), weiner being kinda cynical

I don't, but not showing the pitch leaves that interpretation on the table.

I loved that finale. Good lord.

CFQdZz1UsAEoKsC.jpg

Man, that guy with his dream about being on a shelf in a refrigerator and happy people opening the door and the light coming on but not seeing him...most of my dreams are like me finding that my house has a room behind the den that I never knew about or that there are snakes or tornados.

Man, that guy with his dream about being on a shelf in a refrigerator and happy people opening the door and the light coming on but not seeing him...most of my dreams are like me finding that my house has a room behind the den that I never knew about or that there are snakes or tornados.

I think that monologue was, as our friend Townie (RIP) would say, stilted.

Especially if you add in the contrast the Coke is something everybody notices and pulls out of the refrigerator. Thus buying the world a coke is noticing them and appreciating them.

I had my complaints with the finale, but overall, I enjoyed it. I don't think the episode really "earned" the ending, could have done with one more scene between Don's smile and the Coke ad.

I actually appreciated the focus on Stephanie. Thought she was a nice foil for Don, and her telling him that he's not family was great.

The Peggy/Stan thing, I can't decide if I liked that or not. It felt a little like bad fan fiction? But Peggy's rambling was perfectly Peggy. I don't know. I spent most of that scene laughing.

The Peggy/Pete scene was great. Ditto the Roger/Marie scenes.

Ugh, I'm gonna miss this fucking show.

And maybe I'm the only person who didn't know this but I always assumed "I'd like to buy the world a Coke" was using "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing." It was the other way around. McCann wrote the original lyrics and melody for the ad and the words were changed and turned into an unrelated single by a band.

This is almost up there with learning that Coke popularized the modern version of Santa Claus.

I had my complaints with the finale, but overall, I enjoyed it. I don't think the episode really "earned" the ending, could have done with one more scene between Don's smile and the Coke ad.

I actually appreciated the focus on Stephanie. Thought she was a nice foil for Don, and her telling him that he's not family was great.

The Peggy/Stan thing, I can't decide if I liked that or not. It felt a little like bad fan fiction? But Peggy's rambling was perfectly Peggy. I don't know. I spent most of that scene laughing.

The Peggy/Pete scene was great. Ditto the Roger/Marie scenes.

Ugh, I'm gonna miss this fucking show.

When Peggy kept saying "What?" I was laughing so hard. Just so perfectly awkward.

I imagine if the show continued throughout the 70s you'd see Don with multiple more Ah Ha! moments after these existential crises. This was just a clean way to end it.

One thing i noticed that hasn't been discussed is how Betty after her whole "I watched my mother die and won't put you through the same thing" sat by freaking smoking while Sally took over as the woman of the house.

That was a sad fucking allegory. Don may not have changed much over the course of the series (the Sepinwall comment comparing Don's falling in the opening credits, always to land comfortably on the same couch is perfect), but that scene helped illustrate he has gained a modicum of humanity.

I almost got married at the location they used for the hippy compound, wayfarers chapel

One thing i noticed that hasn't been discussed is how Betty after her whole "I watched my mother die and won't put you through the same thing" sat by freaking smoking while Sally took over as the woman of the house.

True. Good call. Never change.

Lots of discussion about Don or Peggy being behind the Coke ad, but would have been sweet if Joan was involved in the production of the ad. Think McCann would have blackballed her, but...

I think the character whose ending I found most unsatisfying was Ted. I think his character is among the most relatable on the show because his values and outlook jive with those of average viewers - he's a decent, dignified guy, doesn't really fit the mold of an ad exec, tried hard but failed to save his marriage despite falling for Peggy, etc., etc. Other than being relieved at having a job without the responsibilities of a business owner, I felt like he was left pretty unfulfilled. But maybe I'm misreading his character or forgetting some stuff from earlier this season that dealt with this.

Found a new girlfriend and was happy.

Let's give credit to the humor in the episode...

Classic Roger - "He's a rich bastard... I mean that literally" speaking about the out of wedlock child of his and Joan's who he just bequeathed millions to

Classic Peggy - after Stan tells her he thinks about her and loves her, she snaps with all of her lacking social grace and awareness, "I don't think about you at all" even as her breath is taken away

Classic Pete (and surprised no one has mentioned this one} - not realizing why someone would give him a cactus as a going away gift... (it was because he had always been a prick (thanks to the financee for that insight as this happened to someone at a place she use to work))

Back