• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Malaysian Airline Flight MH370

hopefully someone here has a brother who is a fighter pilot and can tell us.

i remember in WWII swiss fighters would force down lone axis and allied planes that entered their airspace, that's where i'm getting this question from.

snakes-on-a-plane-20050825000609730.jpg

The latest claim is the search area now includes land in double-digit Asian countries?!? Still think that no country with a functioning government would let a rogue 777 land without authorization, but how many countries would let an unidentified plane cruise through their airspace unmolested?

Likely not many, but if the Times is to be believed, Malaysia did. Their military had the 777 on its radar when it did the first hard left / u-turn (evidently flew at altitude over one of their largest cities) and they didn't respond. Typical protocol would have included an interception of some sort (in which case we wouldn't be having this conversation).. but they let the damn thing fly right over.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/16/world/asia/series-of-errors-by-malaysia-mounts-complicating-the-task-of-finding-flight-370.html?hp&_r=0

Redditors (I know) supposedly located debris near Sumatra.

i remember in WWII swiss fighters would force down lone axis and allied planes that entered their airspace, that's where i'm getting this question from.

You force them down with the threat of destroying them. You can't physically push the plane down without a large chance of crashing yourself, and even if you could it would be the equivalent of a Smart trying to force a tractor trailer off the highway.

whoa, i had missed this:

Michael McCaul, chairman of America's House Homeland Security Committee, told Fox News Sunday: "One thing we do know, this was not an accident.

Redditors (I know) supposedly located debris near Sumatra.

Sumatra isn't 7 hours from where the plane made the left turn and if there's debris how could the plane keep responding for roughly 6 hours after the plane broke up/crashed?

Sumatra isn't 7 hours from where the plane made the left turn and if there's debris how could the plane keep responding for roughly 6 hours after the plane broke up/crashed?

I'm not subscribing to the ocean crash theory. Merely relaying any new potential info. FTR, I personally doubt we ever know the whole story about this plane. This was a state sponsored action and it's likely that the physical evidence (plane and passengers) has already been destroyed.

I'm beginning to think this thing was flat out hijacked and stolen. Transponders turned off, and flown someplace at low altitude and stashed away.

Yup. Starting to seem "most likely" from the bits and pieces that have been released to the public so far.

How is that "most likely"? To me, who has done exactly no research into this whatsoever and has barely followed the news, that actually seems like "most unlikely" unless you count alien abduction.

Seriously.

Seems most likely to me given the limited info we know. We know where the plane was when it dropped off radar. We know there was no may-day call, so it almost definitely was not a controlled crash that would leave the plane intact and no real debris field. We know that we haven't been able to find the homing beacon from the black box in the area despite days of searching. Either the plane came apart in a big way at that location, which should have spread floating debris over a wide area that we would have found by now, or the plane simply didn't go down in the water and was flown somewhere else. Between those two options, given the amount of resources that are looking for said debris, option #2 seems more likely as each hour passes without any debris found.

I mean, I'm not a physicist or whatever, but it seems way more likely to me something catastrophic happened to the plane, which crashed in the ocean, which is goddamn HUGE and they simply haven't located any wreckage yet. How is that not the most likely scenario? The idea that someone successfully hijacked a plane, flew it somewhere, landed it, and is....I don't know at that point, holding everyone for ransom? Medical testing? Sounds like the plot to Die Hard 7 or whatever number they're on.

So the hijackers decided to hijack the plane and then make no demands or try to take credit for said hijacking?

No. That didn't happen.

And then there's this:
Malaysia Airlines live: military says last tracked plane hundreds of miles off course
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...Malaysia-Airlines-MH370-plane-crash-live.html

And this article, already discussed, about phone calls and missing relatives still signed into their social media accounts:
Vanished Malaysia Airlines flight leaves relatives with anger and phantom phone call
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...b78642-a862-11e3-b61e-8051b8b52d06_story.html

The idea of the plane being hijacked, all communication devices confiscated on a plane of 200+ people, and the plane diverted to some kind of hidden location like the Island of Dr Fucking Moreau for reasons unexplained with no ransom demands or notice or claims of responsibility is NUTS. No offense though. I dig it. If that's seriously what you think happened, I'm cool with that and it's good to know for future reference.

:tinfoilhat::couch:

Last edited:
Has this development been discussed yet? Seems as though the pilot was into politics and was at a trial hours before he piloted the plane:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2581817/Doomed-airliner-pilot-political-fanatic-Hours-taking-control-flight-MH370-attended-trial-jailed-opposition-leader-sodomite.html

I saw that last night. It seems to line up with @flyingwithfish's theory that the plane was taken for political reasons or political power rather than monetary gain.

Interesting theory, but still don't get what a nation or terrorist group would want with a 777. How do you sneak a plane through radar again for a terrorist act and what terrorist group/nation wants double-digit countries on their ass for murdering/kidnapping their citizens? This theory would explain how the plane could get through multiple nations' radar systems, but doesn't offer any motive. Still don't get how Malaysia would let a plane go wildly off course in their airspace and not do anything about it. Think that it was some kind of bizarre suicide deal where one of the pilots had a deep-seated grudge against the airline or Malaysia and wanted to embarrass them by crashing the plane in a place where it would be extremely difficult to find.

Interesting theory, but still don't get what a nation or terrorist group would want with a 777. How do you sneak a plane through radar again for a terrorist act and what terrorist group/nation wants double-digit countries on their ass for murdering/kidnapping their citizens?

I don't know enough about the technology, but I assume the transponder, with time, could be hacked to make the plane appear as something other than what it is. If it looked like an expected flight on secondary radar (i.e. was displaying an expected tail #, speed, flight path, etc), air traffic controllers would be none the wiser. Or, going on the same theory about the disappearance, it would be possible to fly the plane along most any other route again "undetected" by following a legitimate flight. If it worked the first time, it should work again.

The other question that I've seen posed, but haven't seen answered, is regarding who was on the flight. It could be that the plane wasn't the target, but someone on the plane was.

Last edited:
The other question that I've seen posed, but haven't seen answered, is regarding who was on the flight. It could be that the plane wasn't the target, but someone on the plane was.

Somebody earlier posted that there were 19 or 20 employees from a US technology firm that does defense contracting

Back