• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

March Madness Thread

the percentage of teams that do NOT work for a good option in the last possession is very alarming. whoever comes across halfcourt is going to jack it up and be a hero, better shot be damned

happens all the time and drives me nuts. Vanderbilt vs. Northwestern after the foul - vandy guy who comes across halfcourt shoots a contested 3. WVU last night - #2 shoots two highly contested 3's, then dribbles out the clock down three instead of passing with time left. Arizona last night, same thing
Yet against wake Forest, teams execute to perfection in the last two minutes

For those questioning Miller, what is your opinion of Jay Wright? Before last year, he was always perceived as a good coach who couldn't get it done, even though he'd made a Final Four. Or what about Bennett? Or Few? Is Few all of a sudden an elite coach if his team beats an 11-seed tomorrow night? Or is he a choke-artist/underachiever if they lose?

I don't have a strong opinion either way. I just think it's really freaking hard to get to a Final Four.

Horrible shot selection from Arizona in the final minutes. Markannen was ignored and Trier pretty much into hero ball mode the final 5 minutes after he had a hot few minutes to give them an 8 point lead.

Sean Miller contonues to underachieve in the big dance.

Watched a lot of the 2nd half this morning, and that was my biggest takeaway. Guy is supposed to be a lottery pick. Looked familiar to some other 2nd half blown leads that I saw this year.

For those questioning Miller, what is your opinion of Jay Wright? Before last year, he was always perceived as a good coach who couldn't get it done, even though he'd made a Final Four. Or what about Bennett? Or Few? Is Few all of a sudden an elite coach if his team beats an 11-seed tomorrow night? Or is he a choke-artist/underachiever if they lose?

I don't have a strong opinion either way. I just think it's really freaking hard to get to a Final Four.

I agree. It is extremely difficult to get to a final 4. But when you have a top team a lot of the time it is always going to be a knock on you. At least Wright had made the final 4 before. Few is similar because he has squandered some major opportunities. I am not saying Miller is a choke artist but this was one of his best chances and that is going to be a tough one to swallow.

KP set UNC's win probability at 65% and predicts a UNC 77 But 73 final.

Butler will have a problem handling UNC's inside game. UNC leads the nation in offensive rebounding, and Butler is OK, but not great at keeping opponents off the offensive glass. Also, Butler's biggest defensive weakness is defending the paint (#230 in defending the 2 point shot). Butler is small (no starter taller than 6-8 often play 3 guards all of whom are 6-3 or under). Think that Arkansas blew the chance when UNC had it's "off game". Think UNC will be ready to play, and will control this game. Then again, I've underrated Butler all year as I can't accept any team as a national championship threat that relies on Tyler Lewis as a key contributor.

Last edited:
Yes, you should've. It was glorious.

Would be the greatest schadenfreude day ever if they lost. But it does not appear likely

Seems like there by has been an obvious top tier of 6-8 teams all season: UNC, KU, Gonzaga, Villanova, UCLA, UA, UK, Duke. 4 of those teams will make the elite 8.

Looks like a pretty shittastic opening slate of games tonight.

Yes, you should've. It was glorious.

Would be the greatest schadenfreude day ever if they lost. But it does not appear likely

It just sucks it was was Villanova. Other than Nova and Duke, those are the only two teams that could have taken a little bit of luster off it for me.

Back