• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 2: @ UGA - 7pm Friday - SEC Network

Hey MichDeac

White took Florida to the Round of 32 or beyond 4 of his 6 seasons at Florida.

Our coaches (6 of them—over 25 years) have done that 5 times.

I don’t much like White. But it shows the lunacy of the Wake Forest style comment you fired out here.
Comparing White to what Wake Forest has done is an apples to oranges comparison. He was at Florida, and was hired directly following Billy Donovan, which was as white-hot as a program could have been. He was 40 or under. Everything was in line for your "this was a shoo-in" theory, and it didn't work. You can actually engage on an intelligent level here and explain why it didn't work. Or you can continue to play around in the gutter repeating your cliches.

I think White is a good coach. But it goes to show that there are lot of factors that go into making a college basketball hire a home run.

Also, should we wager on who gets to the tourney this year? Wes Miller or Forbes?

highly doubt Reid gets a waiver at this point
Do we know the reason the guys transferred to Cincy? Seems Reid has a good case for transferring out of LSU that shouldn't count against him. The guys now at Cincy may not have a similar situation.

Positive vibes!

Wes Miller sounds like a bitch.

Aziz Bandaogo knew the rule when he decided to transfer out of Utah Valley in order to play for Cincy. He doesn't "deserve to play." He could have stayed at Utah Valley.

I really want Efton Reid to get a waiver, but we knew the rules when we offered him. The rule may be dumb, but to act like these players are being held hostage in any way feels kind of disingenuous.

were Bandaogo's circumstances going from Akron to Utah Valley anything like Reid's circumstances going from LSU to Gonzaga?

Aziz Bandaogo knew the rule when he decided to transfer out of Utah Valley in order to play for Cincy. He doesn't "deserve to play." He could have stayed at Utah Valley.

I really want Efton Reid to get a waiver, but we knew the rules when we offered him. The rule may be dumb, but to act like these players are being held hostage in any way feels kind of disingenuous.
Especially when you consider Pilch's post on page 2.

Lost in people grousing about the NCAA rulings on this is that it was the schools that passed the rule that two-time non-grad transfer have to sit out a year, and asked the NCAA to enforce that rule after the COVID year when there was just massive free agency. The member schools propose and pass the rules that the NCAA enforces. If the schools want no restrictions on transfers, such a rule can be passed.

Do we know the reason the guys transferred to Cincy? Seems Reid has a good case for transferring out of LSU that shouldn't count against him. The guys now at Cincy may not have a similar situation.

Positive vibes!
Bandaogo's only real claim for transferring to UC is that Mark Madsen left Utah Valley after last season. He transferred from Akron after two despite despite John Groce being the coach there the whole time. And Bandaogo got all the PT he wanted at Utah Valley.

And I have no doubt that Wes Miller cares for his players, but at the end of the day he's just trying to bring in the best possible players so that he can have the most success. The emotional pleas ring kind of hollow to me.

And that's all D1 coaches... Not just Wes. But they aren't all whining like he is in that clip.

to me, because tez walker got a waiver after a high-pressure campaign that's only available to certain schools that are flagship state schools, you open up some room for whining re: special treatment

Positive vibes!
Aziz's coach left for Cal, so he transferred and then was denied a waiver. I think Reid's case is weak because he went to Gonzaga, then Wake. If he went from Gonzaga-LSU (Wade shenanigans happen)- then Wake I think he'd have a better argument.

And I have no doubt that Wes Miller cares for his players, but at the end of the day he's just trying to bring in the best possible players so that he can have the most success. The emotional pleas ring kind of hollow to me.

And that's all D1 coaches... Not just Wes. But they aren't all whining like he is in that clip.
Yes.

For years, the rule was all transfers had to sit out a year after transferring.

Then, the rule was amended to allow college graduates with eligibility could transfer without sitting out a year.

Most recently, the rule was changed to allow one transfer for a non-college grad without sitting for year.

Then, during COVID, the NCAA just let everyone transfer as much as they wanted because everyone could claim some hardship. At that point, schools wanted some parameters around the transfer situation; so, the NCAA was directed to enforce the one free transfer rule for non-college grads.

During the entire time, in special circumstances, the NCAA could waive the sit out rule. This waiver process was supposed to be rarely used, except in circumstances such as a player's parent is under-going cancer treatments, and the player transferred to be closer to home to assist the family. Lately, mental health has been a point of emphasis so there have been exceptions when the transfer was to support mental health treatment. Also, if one of the schools in player's past lost a coach or was penalized by the NCAA, those issues were thrown in to justify the transfer.

With that background, you can guess what happens.

A bunch of athletes that can really help a school win more games, but has already transferred once, now need a waiver to play immediately. So, schools hire lawyers to craft scenarios where the waiver is justified because of a family situation or mental health or some other supposedly unique circumstance that rarely applied, but now suddenly applies to dozens of transfers a year. It's mostly BS. Cincy wants Bandaogo eligible because he can block a lot of shots. WF wants Reid eligible because WF has a need in the front court.

Last edited:

I also love me a blue blood that says "ain't" like he didn't grow up absurdly wealthy

Aziz's coach left for Cal, so he transferred and then was denied a waiver. I think Reid's case is weak because he went to Gonzaga, then Wake. If he went from Gonzaga-LSU (Wade shenanigans happen)- then Wake I think he'd have a better argument.
Valid but if you don't count the first transfer because of the Wade shenanigans then Zaga to Wake is technically his first.

Doubt the NCAA would look at it retroactively that way but fingers crossed
You are probably correct but it sounds like maybe they did that for another player.

From deacfan123 on another thread:
In other news, Cal's Jaylon Tyson just had his transfer waiver appeal APPROVED. Played at Texas and then Texas Tech, now at Cal. I don't know the details, but some do get approved apparently!!!!

The wife and I are staying in Buckhead this weekend. I’ve never been to Athens. Any advice on how hard it is to park and get inside Stegeman? We were planning on leaving the hotel at 5. Don’t know if that’s enough time.

Traffic in Atlanta is always worse on Friday afternoon . Check Waze. And leave earlier

The wife and I are staying in Buckhead this weekend. I’ve never been to Athens. Any advice on how hard it is to park and get inside Stegeman? We were planning on leaving the hotel at 5. Don’t know if that’s enough time.
I would give yourself more time than that. Getting out of Buckhead and 85 and 316 on a Friday at rush hour will be a disaster. No clue on parking and getting inside, but it can easily take almost 2 hours just driving time.

Stegman is right in the heart of UGA’s south campus and parking can be a bit difficult in that area especially considering I’d expect a good crowd with the Ole Miss game there tomorrow. The South Campus parking deck (right across from Snelling dining commons), East Campus Village parking deck (a bit further away but will definitely have spots and is still walkable if you don’t mind about a half mile walk), and Tate Student Center (questionable if spots will be available) are probably the closest parking decks you could find.

As for timing, I think leaving Buckhead at 5 to get to Athens by 7 would be cutting it really close considering the likely traffic heading that way this weekend.

It will not be enough time. Leave now.

Back